Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

isabelle adjani recommendations please

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

isabelle adjani recommendations please

Old 08-11-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tutut
Monica's acting is much more based on her body and her sensuality, that reminds other italian stars such as Silvana Mangano or Sophia Loren.
Actually, a good early replica of Monica would be Sandra Milo -- incredible presence, lush feminine figure, acting skills only sightly above average. Recommended viewing: La Visita, and Adua e le compagne.

A slightly less comparable replica would be Laura Antonelli (La Venexiana).

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-11-08 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're in the noir crowd, you can go for the remake of Diabolique also starring Chazz Palminteri (actually I liked Kathy Bates the most ). Not a fan of Adjani myself, though. Seen Adele H and Camille Claudel and still not a fan of her. Ask me about Irene Jacob instead.
Old 08-11-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has Adjani ever been in a film where she is likable nice person? She's sort of catty, bitchy, crazy in Camille Claudel and Queen Margot...still good looking though and somewhat intriguing actress. I haven't seen any of her earlier films...
Old 08-11-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

But of course...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086655/

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-11-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
If you're in the noir crowd, you can go for the remake of Diabolique also starring Chazz Palminteri (actually I liked Kathy Bates the most ).
Actually you would want to see Claude Miller's Mortelle randonnée. It is her marquee noir role/contribution.

Pro-B
Old 08-11-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
Are both of those films available on English-subtitled DVD?
Old 08-11-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass,
Are both of those films available on English-subtitled DVD?
1. L' Été meurtrier is available under One Deadly Summer on a terrible disc in the UK which I strongly recommend you avoid (cropped 1.33 version, etc). A beautiful French release was brought back in circulation but it isn't English-friendly. The film was never released in the US (on DVD).

2. Claude Miller's Mortelle randonnée is available through the now-defunct Wellspring in the US, port of the TF1 disc, which is in the correct aspect ratio of 1.66:1 but unlike what the back cover of the disc states isn't anamorphic. The French re-release is not English friendly.

This is the US remake:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120662/

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-11-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mortelle Randonee, been waiting for ages for a decent disc of that film.
Old 08-12-08, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Actually you would want to see Claude Miller's Mortelle randonnée. It is her marquee noir role/contribution.

Pro-B
Thanks. I just want to check: do you recommend this title for the noir "aesthetics" or for Adjani's performance? I forgot to mention that, even though I've seen a few noir films, I'm not a fan of it either.
Old 08-12-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks. I just want to check: do you recommend this title for the noir "aesthetics" or for Adjani's performance? I forgot to mention that, even though I've seen a few noir films, I'm not a fan of it either.
This film was quite well received when it came out in France. I remember iLe Figaro were very warm. And yes, I like Adjani in it very much.

Pro-B
Old 08-13-08, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Actually, a good early replica of Monica would be Sandra Milo -- incredible presence, lush feminine figure, acting skills only sightly above average. Recommended viewing: La Visita, and Adua e le compagne.
But Milo did so many light comedies in Italy and France (The Green Mare with Bourvil for example), and used the tabloids to make some publicity.
I don't remember Monica doing such films, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-13-08, 03:37 PM

Another actor is great in this film, Michel Serrault (The Birdcage, Nelly & Mr Arnaud), not only Adjani and a remake based on the same book from Marc Behm has been made, it's Eye of the Beholder from Stephan Elliott, with Ewan McGregor and Ashley Judd.
Old 08-13-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tutut
But Milo did so many light comedies in Italy and France (The Green Mare with Bourvil for example), and used the tabloids to make some publicity.
I don't remember Monica doing such films, maybe I'm wrong.
Then you want to take a look at La Riffa and especially L'Ultimo capodanno.

Pro-B
Old 09-17-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
How are the English subtitles on the ONE DEADLY SUMMER UK PAL DVD? And is there any place to find the French subtitles or French screenplay of this film?
Old 09-17-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass,
How are the English subtitles on the ONE DEADLY SUMMER UK PAL DVD? And is there any place to find the French subtitles or French screenplay of this film?
They are acceptable but the DVD is most definitely not. I would strongly recommend avoiding the disc.

As to subtitles the old French disc does not have them. I am unsure about the new Warner release.

Pro-B
Old 07-17-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 174 Likes on 139 Posts
Re: isabelle adjani recommendations please

I have actually seen Mortelle Randonee in the last month or so and I have to say it's a great film. It has noir tendencies but it isn't strictly a noir film. Michel Serrault gives an excellent performance as well. Although I must say the R1 version is missing 24 minutes, you might be better off getting the uncut PAL version. It's one of my favorite films I've seen lately. There's also a memorable Stephane Audran cameo.

One Deadly Summer was just released in a NTSC version in May. So that should be an improvement.

Regarding Sophie Marceau films, L"Amour Braque is pretty unique and strange and worth a viewing at least.

She also starring with Monica Belluci in Don't Look Back which just opened in select cities.
Old 07-17-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55

One Deadly Summer was just released in a NTSC version in May. So that should be an improvement.
I have this disc and although I did not own the oft-maligned UK disc (or any other DVD version for that matter), I can say that I am pleased with it. Looked very nice upscaled via HDMI on my Panasonic LCD. It is 1.66:1 anamorphic. Audio is a very clean and sharp-sounding mono. The subtitles leave a little to be desired; they often switch to italicized font with no apparent (at least to me) reason. But overall, a worthwhile purchase.
Old 07-18-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the new region 1 version of One Deadly Summer looks great.
Old 07-19-10, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there is still no english friendly PAL version of Moretelle Randonee is there?