International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Memories of Murder

Old 03-16-07, 03:11 PM

Memories of Murder

I just watched this movie last week. and all I have to say is that it is an Amazing movie. I have not seen a movie like this in a long time and I was glad I watched this. Its on my Top Five Asian Movie list. I would however, like to know what other movies that are not talked about much but are excellent would you guys recommend. Something like Memories of Murder. Does not have to be a detective/serial killer movie, but the movie that will leave you with a feeling of wanting MORE.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-16-07, 03:38 PM

Kinda a weird request really since it really more depends on movies you haven't heard of. Memories of Murder was, unlike you say, a much talked about movie when it came out. It's just that in mainstream circles the movie was not that well known (naturally, since it's an Asian movie).

If you liked that movie perhaps you should check out the film that the director of MOM did after that called The Host which was just recently released theatrically here in the states and came out in England a couple of months back (with a DVD release coming very soon).

And although not Asian, if you really enjoyed MOM then I'd highly recommend David Fincher's Zodiac which can almost be called an American cousin to MOM.
Old 03-16-07, 03:54 PM

i will check out Zodiac thanks. Anyways, I guess you are right I didn't hear abut MoM until I just watched it. Any other recommendations?
Old 03-16-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shutter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/
Old 03-16-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really enjoyed MOM, too.

As for suggestions, I'd check out the following if you haven't already done so (these are personal Asian-movie faves and represent many genres):

3-Iron (Korean drama with a great twist)
Arahan (a Korean comedic action film)
Azumi (Japanese girl-samurai fantasy epic)
The Blood Rules (a really overlooked HK detective drama)
Il Mare (Korean romance and FAR better than the US remake)
Musa (easily my favorite Asian historical epic)
Nobody Knows (award-winning Japanese drama)
Oasis (Korean drama/true story about a pair of handicapped lovers)
Ping Pong (a Japanese drama/comedy about...ping pong)
Say Yes (a Korean thriller similar to Breakdown)
Shiri (Korean action film)

Many others, but these were the ones I thought of first.
Old 03-16-07, 04:20 PM

mrhan and timeandtide, thanks for the recommendations. I watched the trailer of shutter and it looks good, i also found that the same director is coming up with a new movie called Alone.
TimeandTide, can you recommend some good Asian movie in the thriller/horror genre.
I will definately chek out the ones that you mentioned.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-16-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when it comes to asian movies on DVDs i don't get it from the R3 land.it's either R2UK or the R1 disc.and i think the R1 disc has more extras and not to mentionm, better artwork.

any complains about the R1 disc? and does anyone have any idea why i can't find it listed over www.dvd-pri-cesearch.com?

Last edited by animatedude; 03-16-07 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sid369
mrhan and timeandtide, thanks for the recommendations. I watched the trailer of shutter and it looks good, i also found that the same director is coming up with a new movie called Alone.
TimeandTide, can you recommend some good Asian movie in the thriller/horror genre.
I will definately chek out the ones that you mentioned.

Cheers!!!

TimeandTide should have added "Time and Tide" to his list. That movie is worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251433/
Old 03-16-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.. can you recommend some good Asian movie in the thriller genre.
An easy recommendation would be anything so far by Park Chan-wook:

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (top 10 list of my favorite films of all time)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy

Quiet Family is another film (more of a dark comedy than a horror, but has some thriller elements) by Kim Ji-woon worth taking a look into. This guy also directed an excellent jopok (gangster) film called Bittersweet Life - if of course, that's your cup of tea.
Old 03-16-07, 06:51 PM

Now my question is where can I buy these DVDs from for a good price and are they available in R1 or do I have to buy the R3 dvds.
Old 03-16-07, 08:14 PM

Now my question is where can I buy these DVDs from for a good price and are they available in R1 or do I have to buy the R3 dvds.
Many Asian fllms are getting US releases now and can be found for fairly cheap if you look hard enough. For example, my local Blockbuster had previously viewed copies of 3-Iron and Nobody Knows for about $5 each not too long ago. Many of the other Asian titles I've enjoyed I've bought legit copies R1 of from eBay or HkFlix from between $5 and $20.

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Oldboy
Bittersweet Life
I'll second those recommendations.

Originally Posted by mrhan
TimeandTide should have added "Time and Tide" to his list. That movie is worth watching.
Doh! Can't believe I forgot that one. One of my favorites.
Old 03-16-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (aka. Lady Vengeance)
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Oldboy

.. are all available in R1 land released by Tartan.

dvdpricesearch.com ... is your friend.

The Ji-woon films that I have are R3, but may be available elsewhere .. probably at a higher cost. ...? Not certain.

I would definately recommend Park's trilogy first, well before Ji-woon's works (based on your implied taste). I can't imagine that you wouldn't get something out of them. Try Oldboy, SfLV, SfMV in that order .. before picking them up all at the same time. Oldboy is Park's statement (I would consider), but personally, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is an absolutely f'ing A+ in film making, period. ... though, it has some undertones of darkness (as does all in his trilogy). Though, I'm not sure .. either of the two should be a starter, it's just that the Lady film has more of an art house take which not everyone is into. Heck with it, buy them both if you're truly interested in film .. of an excellent "thriller" theme and I will stake a financial reimbursement on it if you don't get anything out of each of those two specific recommendations. They are both absolutely sick films!!!! .. and I say that with the highest regard.

Last edited by visitor Q; 03-16-07 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 09:04 PM

You see, when the poster started the thread I took it that he asked about films like MOM, not any other Asian films, because many of the suggestions made here have no similarities to MOM whatsoever aside from being Asian.

In any case, since it was mentioned, I recommend watching Chan Woo Park's films in order. All are excellent films and all have DVD releases in the US and UK.

JSA
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (his best film IMO)
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Old 03-17-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I do see. But the OP followed up specifically by asking for suggestions in relation to Asian film "thrillers". Therefore, Park's films apply, hence my recommendations. ... I took it a step further and recommended a certain order of viewing. If you don't agree .. great. That's your preference, not mine. However and apparently, your recommendations are similar just the same. So I don't see what the point is ......

Last edited by visitor Q; 03-17-07 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-17-07, 02:09 AM

Your response is weird. You're arguing something where there is no argument to be had.

And I didn't really recommend anything other than what I wrote in my first post, I just commented on the Chan Woo Park movies by modifying the recommendation made in the first place.
Old 03-17-07, 03:56 AM

tempting to find one film you love and try to see if there are similar things.
also worth thinking over the idea that the reason 'memories of murder' works so well is perhaps because there's nothing quite like it - not directly - and as soon as you derive odd connections between films you're potentially on the path towards everything starting to feel a little too similar - then you're looking for the next breakthrough moment, the next films as powerfully different as 'memories of murder'.

in general, koreas recent cinema is technically incredibly solid, few examples are as solid as 'memories of murder' though - either technically or in originality or storytelling aspects - but i can't help but also recommend park chan-wook's 'JSA', 'sympathy for mr.vengeance' and 'lady vengeance' also.
Old 03-17-07, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sid might want to check the sticky here "Must See" list.
Old 03-17-07, 12:33 PM

I have checked out the sticky for recommended movies. However, I stil like to hear from different members regarding a particular movie that I liked and give me suggestions for other movies that has the same impact. I understand that no two movies are the same and it should not be however, probably what I was aksing for in the first place was movies that after watching gives you a feeling of WOW what a great movie. I had asked about horror recommendations in the past and made a lot of blinf buys in november when the DDD 20% sale was going on. A lot of the recommendations, where not my cup of tea and I made a mistake of Blind Buying. Everyone had their own unique way of watching and understanding a movie and some may like one thing that necessarily may not be liked by others. The reason for me giving MoM as an example was so that I know, that if a person has watched MoM, i believe he would know what else to recommend that would be powerful as MoM was. It may or may not be the same genre but the feeling the movie will give will be somewhat similar.

After the bad experience of blind buys for the horror movie, I am still hesitant to buy the movies recommended by you guys. I know that it might be all good, but I am worried about that I may end up being disspointed that its not up to the standards of MoM. However, I might give it a try by renting it first if I can and if I cannot rent then I am going to take a chance and buy them.
Old 03-17-07, 02:29 PM

Yeah, like I said before it would be best if you would specify exactly what kind of movies are you asking for? When you say you enjoyed MOM and what something like it, then that tells me you want movies of a similar genre or themes. That's why suggestions like the above on "Azumi" "Arahan" doesn't fit here (no offense).

You should specify what it is. Are you looking for other movies to recommend from Korea? A genre in partiuclar? Asian films in general? Asian films that are similar to it perhaps tone, style, etc... to MOM?
Old 03-18-07, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Running Man
Yeah, like I said before it would be best if you would specify exactly what kind of movies are you asking for? When you say you enjoyed MOM and what something like it, then that tells me you want movies of a similar genre or themes. That's why suggestions like the above on "Azumi" "Arahan" doesn't fit here (no offense).
No offense taken.

I knew the OP was looking for films in the MOM vein, but thought I'd pass along some other relatively recent favorites. I mean, when I first started watching Asian cinema, I only sought out John Woo-like actioners (mostly Johnnie To stuff), but soon realized I was missing out on some really awesome stuff by not expanding my horizons a bit.

I'm going to take any opportunity I can to recommend flims like Musa and A Bittesweet Life and Arahan, genre be damned.
Old 03-18-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MOM is in a class of it's own. The only other detective/serial killer film I can think of that I would recommend is Tell Me Something. It's available in R1 (Kino).
Old 03-18-07, 01:44 PM

I checked HKflix.com and the problem is that most of it is R3 dvds. I don't think I have a R3 player. Are these dvds available in R1. If not then I don't have any other choice but to buy the R3 dvds. My question now is I will have to buy a dvd player that can play them. I was thinking of Oppo but don't know wheather it is a region free dvd player. Can anyone suggest a dvd player which is region free. I am really getting into the Asian movies now. i am open to all kind of genres and movies as long as they are good. Apart from asian movies can nay one recommend any other country thriller/horror, other genre movies.

I know the dvd player question is off topic, however I thought that you guys would be the best people to ask for it since you have watched I am assuiming R3 disks.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-18-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eXcentris
MOM is in a class of it's own. The only other detective/serial killer film I can think of that I would recommend is Tell Me Something. It's available in R1 (Kino).

I would also recommend Tell Me Something, and add Another Heaven.
Old 03-19-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Korea:
"Public Enemy" (2002)
"Save the Green Planet" (2003)

sid369, regarding your question on the DVD player, first go to videohelp.com and click on "DVD Hacks" on the left-hand side. This way you can check if your current player can be region-free enabled. If not, it depends on your budget, for an easy, lower-cost entry point and nice balance between price/quality, Philips brand has usually had some options. I haven't followed things for at least a year, but in the past a number of folks around here have been fairly content with players like the Philips 727 (old model) and the newer DVP642 (if I remember right). You might have to check what the current model is in regard to Philips brand and if they still are easily hackable. The beauty of the two previous models was that the hacks were simple button pushes on your remote control, plus the DVD players were readily available from places like Target, Circuit City, etc., and sale-priced in the $40-$60 range. I haven't followed things closely but Toshiba too might still present some options.
Old 03-19-07, 10:56 AM

Here a couple of review sites I found really helpful when looking for new Asian movies to watch:

cityonfire.com
kfccinema.com

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.