Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Time of the Gypsies (France)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

French arthouse distrib Carlotta are set to release Kusturica's award winning Time of the Gypsies on June 6th. No preliminary specs are available as of now but I am certain English subtitles will not be provided.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-06-07, 12:11 AM

It'll be interesting to find out if it's the full TV version.

I think a lot of people have been desperate for this film with English subtitles and sure enough last weekend a 140 minute PAL anamorphic version surfaced with excellent subtitles.

Why the film's not had an official UK/USA release on DVD is bizarre. I don't think any of Kusturica's French DVDs have English subtitles but we can live in hope.
Old 03-07-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One of the reasons why Kusturica's award winning film has not been released in the US I would think has to do with the fact that its rights are currently held by one of the majors. Similar is/are the case(s) with both Milcho Manchevski's Before the Rain and Goran Paskaljevic's Bure Baruta a.k.a Cabaret Balkan.

To make a long story short there is absolutely no interest from the rights holders to deal with these titles whatsoever.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-07-07 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RESERVOIR,
can you please foward me any websites/stores/info to where I can find this "140 minute PAL anamorphic version surfaced with excellent subtitles"?
Old 06-18-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the french DVD is out, definitely no English subtitles...It's even got a sticker on the cover rubbing it in that it's a high-def remastering anamorphic video and what not...grrr....

So anyone notice yet a bootlegged version of this DVD with English subtitles yet from any of those creative online DVD stores? (hkflix.com, etc.)
Old 06-18-07, 03:32 PM

Buy the French DVD and add the subs. I've done that with lots of films where it looked like I would wait and wait. Lots of sites on the Internet that provide subtitles. Or make your own.
Old 06-18-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reservoir, doesn't that process take computer hardware?
Old 06-19-07, 12:11 AM

Yes but very simple stuff and the results are fabulous. I do many translations for people (time permitting!) and things really could not be easier. I even fix bad subtitles too if they're badly done.

2 or 3 apps or required or if you watch on your PC, only one program called VLC player.
Old 01-14-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, I caved and I bought the France DVD of Time Of the Gypsies. Maybe now that i've bought this DVD, an English-subtitled DVD will come into existance soon. And you can all thank me. That's what usually happens when I hold out forever, but eventually give in. And soon after I give in, spend the money, the DVD that I was really waiting for comes out...

The video/audio quality of this French DVD is pretty damn good. Eventhough, I would probably want to watch the movie with French subtitles than rely on my memory of the dialogue from watching the VHS tape, I'm happy to say that the French subtitles are not Forced and are removable...

I'm also looking forward to buying the French DVD of the Time of the Gypsies Opera getting released soon, which probably won't matter too much if that doesn't have subtitles as well, since it's a musical/opera...