Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources (3 Disk Canadian release)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently came upon an apparent February release date for a Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources / Bonus Disc set to be released in Canada under a new Koch Vision Classics / Classiques label. This appears to be the first in a wave of roughly sixty DVDs they're planning on releasing from the vaults of Pathé, ROISSY, TF1 International and M6. Any information regarding the transfers...plans for English subtitles etc.?

Old 01-31-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Woah!

Date?
Old 01-31-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Koch Entertainment recently acquited a number of smaller labels under its distribution umbrella. I am not familiar with the Canadian (as it appears) offshoot Koch Vision but I would be rather cautious with this set as it might well be a direct port of the existing UK and French double sets plus an added extra. With this in mind the Canadian market has been mostly getting PAL-NTSC ports (the recent double disc of Joyeux Noel included).

Here's the info for the KOCH-US distro deal mentioned above:
http://www.kochb2b.com/Info/ReadPR.aspx?id=98

Finally, these two films are in dire need of serious restoration work as even the unsubbed French prints are of average quality. Strangely enough, given their cult status amongst French speakers, no one has stepped up and offered SE.

Pro-B
Old 01-31-07, 10:56 PM

Is there any review of the R2 UK Claude Berri box-set?

I'm most interested in Germinal in this set, as it appears to be the only version with English subs.
Old 01-31-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Cine:

I do not have a review for you to read but this set is of very poor quality. The Manon-Florette discs are the old Pathe coasters and the Lucie Aubrac is incredibly flat (if i remember correctly fixed subs as well). Germinal is about average and this clearly isn't the release this film deserves.

That's it...unfortunately!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-01-07, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Cine:

I do not have a review for you to read but this set is of very poor quality. The Manon-Florette discs are the old Pathe coasters and the Lucie Aubrac is incredibly flat (if i remember correctly fixed subs as well). Germinal is about average and this clearly isn't the release this film deserves.

That's it...unfortunately!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Thanks for the feedback.