Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

ZULO (The Hole)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZULO (The Hole)

The second offering from Notro Films is the recent Spanish chiller The Hole directed by Carlos Ferrera. DVD set to arrive in Spanish shops on March 17.

Official site:
http://www.zulo-lapelicula.com/

Variety Blurb:
Putting a guy in a 20-foot hole in the ground and then trying to keep up aud interest for 80 minutes would be a challenge for any director. In "Hole," debut helmer Carlos Martin Ferrera succeeds for the most part, thanks to a good script, a superb central perf and meticulous editing. Like a undimensional "Cube" (1997), this psychologically intense, demanding item is miles from the mainstream and smacks of an end-of-the-year film school project, but its contempo Kafkaesque kidnapping theme and its intelligent, purist exploitation of minimal ingredients may help it climb out to horror-friendly territories.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-04-08, 05:14 AM

My friend visited Spain recently and I saked him to look for Zulo among others. So he brought me the DVD and I watched it couple of days ago. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or even a very talented film, but it definately holds your attention for all its 80 min (which is a great merit since all 80 min. you see one man, and all the action takes place in that pit). What I disliked is that authors don't try to answer any questions (although sometimes it can be a good thing), but what's more important they don't raise any questions as I hoped they would. Well, if they do, they do it pretty vaguely.
But anyway certainly Zulo is an unusual film, worth a look, and I'm glad I now have it in my collection.
Thanks for the advise, pro-b
Old 03-04-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giggles
Thanks for the advise, pro-b

Pro-B