Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I use my Multi-Region DVD player in different countries?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-12-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If a multi-region DVD player is capable of playing all formats and all regions (PAL/NTSC/Region 1-7) and if the DVD player has the 100-200 voltage, 50/60 Hz, can't I just use it in a different country, and just get the correct AC adaptor wire or plug converter for it?
Old 01-12-07, 01:50 PM

should be the case.
Old 01-12-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks, logboy
Old 01-13-07, 04:20 AM

Yeah, I think you should be able to do that. The only problem that I can think of involves the TV you are trying to play the film on -- I think NTSC TVs don't always playback PAL, whereas most PAL and SECAM TVs are able to play NTSC just fine. So, while your DVD player may be able to play, say, a PAL movie, it may be the case that the TV can't deal with it. Or so I think.
Old 01-13-07, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by vili
Yeah, I think you should be able to do that. The only problem that I can think of involves the TV you are trying to play the film on -- I think NTSC TVs don't always playback PAL, whereas most PAL and SECAM TVs are able to play NTSC just fine. So, while your DVD player may be able to play, say, a PAL movie, it may be the case that the TV can't deal with it. Or so I think.
that probably would have been the case some years back, when older CRT TV's often didn't cope with 60hz and you had to pick and choose TVs - newer sets have entirely eradicated that issue thats to hi-def and stuff like that. i think.
Old 01-13-07, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by logboy
that probably would have been the case some years back, when older CRT TV's often didn't cope with 60hz and you had to pick and choose TVs - newer sets have entirely eradicated that issue thats to hi-def and stuff like that. i think.
This may well be true, indeed. A good point.