Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When will "Curse of the Golden Flower" be released on DVD?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far the only items I've seen on Ebay or elsewhere related to Zhang Yimou's film "Curse of the Golden Flower" have been a combo cd & dvd music video with Jay Chou featured in both contexts. Beyond the eventual Sony R1 release why hasn't a Region 3 edition been produced yet?
Old 01-08-07, 09:51 AM
Mao

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Dunno...but Region 1 release is March 27th.
Old 01-08-07, 10:50 AM

Didn't it only open in Hong Kong just before Christmas? I don't have much idea as to what a typical window is before titles are released onto R3, but as that was less than 3 weeks ago I wouldn't expect one just yet...

Dazza.
Old 01-08-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps this is one of those rare instances where the North American theatrical release is more or less contemporaneous with Asia and elsewhere?
Old 01-08-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts
How much did Sony cut out of the movie for its US theatrical release?
Old 01-08-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It opened in Hong Kong on December 21st. It's too early to be asking about an R3 DVD. On the other hand, an R6 DVD should be appearing soon, since the theatrical-to-DVD window is much shorter on the mainland. (It may already be out, but I don't see anything on Joyo or YesAsia.)

And I haven't heard anything about cuts to the U.S. version, although that doesn't mean there aren't any. The listed running time (114 minutes) is the same.

Last edited by Dan Average; 01-09-07 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-09-07, 12:09 AM

How much did Sony cut out of the movie for its US theatrical release?
As far as it's known, it's uncut.

What would make you think it would be cut?
Old 01-09-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

House of Flying Daggers was slightly cut to get a PG-13 rating (as was Kung Fu Hustle, although it ended up getting an R anyway).
Old 01-09-07, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Average
It opened in Hong Kong on December 21st. It's too early to be asking about an R3 DVD. On the other hand, an R6 DVD should be appearing soon, since the theatrical-to-DVD window is much shorter on the mainland. (It may already be out, but I don't see anything on Joyo or YesAsia.)

And I haven't heard anything about cuts to the U.S. version, although that doesn't mean there aren't any. The listed running time (114 minutes) is the same.
According to Imdb (listed below) the Hong Kong release is listed at 111 minutes. Region 6 would be Australian correct? Someone on Ebay was listing a copy of the film from the "land down under."

Autumn Remembrance (Hong Kong: English title) (working title)
Curse of the Golden Flower (International: English title)
The City of Golden Armor (Hong Kong: English title) (working title)
MPAA: Rated R for violence.
Runtime: USA:114 min / Hong Kong:111 min
Language: Mandarin
Color: Color
Sound Mix: SDDS / Dolby Digital
Certification: Hong Kong:IIB / Singapore:PG / USA:R
Old 01-09-07, 05:49 AM

Region 6 is China. Australia comes under R4.

Dazza.
Old 01-09-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan Average
House of Flying Daggers was slightly cut to get a PG-13 rating (as was Kung Fu Hustle, although it ended up getting an R anyway).
It's released by Sony, isn't it? I'm just making an assumption, but it seems to be their standard practice to edit foreign films for US consumption (as do the Weinsteins).
Old 01-09-07, 10:00 AM

Kung Fu Hustle wasn't cut. What happened was that the Mainland Chinese print was used for release here instead. And the differences between those two cuts is splitting hairs really.

It's released by Sony, isn't it? I'm just making an assumption, but it seems to be their standard practice to edit foreign films for US consumption (as do the Weinsteins).
Not really. They aren't anything like Weinsteins.
Old 01-09-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Running Man
Not really. They aren't anything like Weinsteins.
Then why did they edit some really inconsequential stuff out of House of Flying Daggers?

Sony as a corporation has such a negative anti-consumer track record that I find it difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt about anything anymore.
Old 01-09-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Then why did they edit some really inconsequential stuff out of House of Flying Daggers?
To avoid an "R" rating? Dunno. Just guessing. Having heard about all the specific cuts, I'm glad not to have the bloodless version [clutches phantom uncut R3 release close to heart], particularly as one excised spurt really seems to undermine the impact of a certain big finale.

BTW, I recall many negative reviews of "Flying Daggers" upon its release ("it's no HERO" "too melodramatic" "singing?"), and was pleasantly surprised to discover how much I love it. More than "HERO". And now I'm hearing similar criticisms of "Golden Flower", but amplified. I think an even more highly melodramatic (approaching operatic) narrative would be ideal for Zhang Yimou's unique brand of "wuxia", so that doesn't concern me. But does it fall flat here? Just fishing for some feedback, especially from anyone who adored similar traits in "Daggers".
Old 01-09-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I heard there was a scene that was cut by Sony of Kung Fu Hustle with a guy taking a dump on the street.
Old 01-09-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The movie seemed like Raise the Red Lantern meets House of Flying Daggers to me. Almost the entire film takes place within the walls of a candy-colored palace, with the various characters plotting against or with each other. Then, near the end, we are served a generous helping of CGI-enhanced battles as the players make their moves. I really enjoyed the movie, but I was already a fan of Zhang's. My guess is that people who didn't like Hero or House of Flying Daggers won't like this, either. But for those who dig this genre, the movie is well worth checking out. For what it's worth, I thought it was better than The Banquet.

The movie is considerably more brutal than Hero or House of Flying Daggers, so the "R" rated is deserved this time.

I'm pretty sure a mainland DVD will be released first, but those are usually crap. The first mainland DVD of House of Flying Daggers was non-anamorphic and had all-white Chinese and English subtitles that were burned into the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with this movie. It would probably be better to wait for the HK or region 1 DVD.

The only thing troubling me is that I bet Sony will release this day and date on Blu-Ray. With all the uber-detailed costumes and sets, this is a movie that would greatly benefit from HD. This movie on Blu-Ray will make me want a BD player.
Old 01-10-07, 01:37 AM

As someone said, it seemed that it was done to it was really to avoid an R rating which it would have gotten. Same thing that Universal did with Fearless. They cut and toned some of the stuff that would have given it an R. Except that they were smart enough to release an "unrated" version on DVD which balanced it out. Smart move, too bad did;'t think of that for House's home video release.

But it any case, it seemed that after the disappointing box office of House, Sony felt that it probably didn't matter which was probably why they let Curse get an R which is a lot of evidence that they didn't do anything to it.

And as long as there seem to be a bit of a poll going on here, Curse, although not really a great film per say, is better than House but not as memorable as it (if that makes any sense). House had a terrible stoty but it's visuals, cinematography, and the action scenes by Ching Siu Tung gave it something to go back to. Curse doesn't really.

Hero still reigns supreme and is a masterpiece. I am wondering if that was some sort of fluke for Zhao Yimou in terms of his dip into this genre.