Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pan's Labyrinth (Optimum) 3/12/06

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Pan's Labyrinth (Optimum) 3/12/06

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by fnordboy
I received mine (from DVDasian) yesterday. The packaging is just as great in person. (
Got mine today. Very very pleased with the "book" case. Just beautiful packaging.
Old 02-24-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time I come to this thread I hope somebody will tell us what is in English and what is not, and what is bi-lingual or has subtitles.

The book, for example....what language is it in? Are ANY of the bonus features in English or have subtitles?
Old 02-24-07, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The book has an English introduction with the sketches havinf Spanish scribbles. I have not watched the DVD yet so not sure about the extras.
Old 02-24-07, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Every time I come to this thread I hope somebody will tell us what is in English and what is not, and what is bi-lingual or has subtitles.

The book, for example....what language is it in? Are ANY of the bonus features in English or have subtitles?
Slop101 answered those questions above. According to him the book is in English, the Extra's are not.
Old 02-24-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I answered some of it as well back in post #93 on 02/19/07.

Old 02-24-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I answered some of it as well back in post #93 on 02/19/07.

That's kind of cheeky...asking someone to read the thread...common whatever happened to spoon feeding?
Old 02-25-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RonBoster
That's kind of cheeky...asking someone to read the thread...common whatever happened to spoon feeding?
I check up on this thread on a regular basis, thank you. Sorry if I missed a certain post # whatever and insulted your vast intelligence.
Old 02-25-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't worry, I accept your apology. Sorry your feelings got hurt.
Old 02-25-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I watched the R3 version last night. Even though she has read several reviews (She thinks the WSJ's reviews are the end all, be all), she was surprised at the dark tone and graphic violence of some scenes. Though I'm not partial to someone applying their own stiches...it was within the character's actions to do so. I liked the film better than her. Though in the end I think I enjoyed "Children of Men" more as a whole.

On the audio of the disc. I found the center channel to be a little forward compared to the rest of the soundtrack...I had to go in a take my center down a couple of notches to help blend in with the rest of the soundtrack.

On the video side I found the disc to be a pretty solid transfer. I didn't see the film in the theater, so I don't know if some of the choices were stylized or a weakness. The area that I didn't care for were the murky blacks. I thought grayish blacks fit with the overall color pallet of the film...but I think detail was lost in many of the fable scenes. The look of the film itself made be think of the films of the 60's...

Though I probably would have been happy with standard packaging and lower price, the deluxe edition is nice...but not I'm not a collector of special editions, so it's lost on me.
Old 02-26-07, 11:39 PM

So far..the best packaging for this movie is the Korean limited edition of 5,000 quantity. I just finished watching it....highly recommended movie....a superb film in my opinion. Order now before it's out of print. I wouldn't be surprised if the set is double the price a year from now.
Old 02-27-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'll get the HMV (UK) exclusive cos the packaging sounds good to me.
Old 02-27-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the packaging is wonderful...mine seemed to be a bit creased in the upper lefthand corner. No biggie, I suppose. I am rather disappointed, however, in the black levels of the image. I hope the R1 does better with this.
Old 03-02-07, 09:20 AM

Is it safe to assume now that it's won some awards it'll come to HD or Blu Ray? I'd like to keep this packaging but toss this tranfer.
Old 03-02-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii2
Is it safe to assume now that it's won some awards it'll come to HD or Blu Ray? I'd like to keep this packaging but toss this tranfer.
Yeah, not a fan of the transfer.

I believe New Line is releasing this one on DVD here in the states. Although, they are under the WB, they have yet to release anything HD-DVD or Blu.

Apparently, they have a hard-on for that Total HD shit (HD on one side/ Blu on the other).

Maybe we'll see it overseas by another distributor...which will force me, once again, to import this title.
Old 03-03-07, 04:35 PM

There's apparently a Steelbook edition of Pan's Labyrinth being released at fnac.es for about 30 euros; however, shipping to the United States brings the total price to around 65 dollars. Pretty much killed the deal for me, but I just wanted to let potential steelbook fans know about this.
Old 03-03-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not just get the R3 Steelbook? It´s a duplicate of the Best Buy version.
Old 03-03-07, 06:24 PM

All the region 3 Pan's Labyrinth releases I've seen so far in this thread have been in what looks like a leather bound book style package. What I'm talking about is a case that is like the case that came with the Best Buy exclusive The Departed dvd, which is made out of metal.

If this is indeed the packaging you're talking about (the metal steelbook), could you please show me where to find it, as the only steelbook packaging i can find for this movie is the R2 Spanish release. Thanks.
Old 03-03-07, 10:11 PM

There is noticeable ghosting on a number of scenes in the Korean import. I may have to double dip to get a better transfer later.
Old 03-03-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beautiful packaging. Transfer not very impressive. I have to admit I don't have a very good eye for such things, but it seems there was a lot of digital artifact especially present in the dark scenes at the beginning. Overall, I was able to watch the majority of the film without noticing the transfer. It was my first time seeing it and I loved it. My wife didn't seem to care that much for it. I think she's overly critical of movies I like. She said it reminded her of another film but she couldn't name it. I thought it very original and loved the creature costumes. I think my wife has been spoiled by CGI. I'll probably stick with the transfer unless I can pick up the R1 very cheap or unless I upgrade to a high def format. The packaging complements the movie very well.
Old 03-04-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by N0treDom
If this is indeed the packaging you're talking about (the metal steelbook), could you please show me where to find it, as the only steelbook packaging i can find for this movie is the R2 Spanish release. Thanks.
Yes, R3 comes as Steelbook as well.

Try YesAsia or DVDfromKorea
Old 03-04-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane
Yes, R3 comes as Steelbook as well.

Try YesAsia or DVDfromKorea
I don't know where you get your info. but they don't stock a steelbook.

FYI: It looks like the leather book isn't available from DVDfromKorea anymore. I did a search and nothing comes up.
Old 03-04-07, 03:33 PM

What I'm talking about is a case that is like the case that came with the Best Buy exclusive The Departed dvd, which is made out of metal.
I think Dane must have thought I was talking about The Departed because at the sites he gave there were R3 versions of The Departed that have steelbooks. The only version of Pan's Labyrinth thus far that is in a steelbook is the R2 Spain release.

It looks like this: R2 Spain Steelbook Pan's Labyrinth
Old 03-04-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Dane must have thought I was talking about The Departed because at the sites he gave there were R3 versions of The Departed that have steelbooks. The only version of Pan's Labyrinth thus far that is in a steelbook is the R2 Spain release.

It looks like this: R2 Spain Steelbook Pan's Labyrinth
Yeah, I know that. There's a link to a bigger pic I posted sometime back. Check post #11.
Old 03-04-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, you´re right My mistake.
Old 03-06-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts
Finally received my copy (Korean LE). Wow, this package is truly beautiful.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-08-07 at 05:52 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.