Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any gems from the following under $6 list?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preferrably with good quality transfers that can't be duplicated with a R1 release.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/wishlis.../qx/titles.htm

Are You Lonesome Tonight
A Beautiful New World
Bio-Zombie [HK Version]
Chinese Erotic Ghost Story
Close Your Eyes And Hold Me
The Dimension Travelers
Ditto [HK Version]
Don't Let The Sun Go Down [US Version]
Dummy Mommy, Without A Baby
Durian, Durian [VCD]
Eighteen Springs [Mei Ah]
Farewell My Dearest
Flirtong Scholar
Flying Dagger
Forever Yours [2004]
The Fruit Is Swelling '97 [HK Version]
Glass Tears
Goddess Of Mercy [2003] [Thai Version]
The Golden Girls
Hail The Judge [Mei Ah]
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not... [HK Version]
The Inheritance
The Inheritors
Interview [HK Version]
Intimates
The Kid
The King Of Masks
Kitchen
Kolya
Kwan-Riam [DVD-5]
La Peintre
The Last Hero In China [Beverly Wilshire]
Last Present [HK Version]
Life Is A Miracle [2001] [US Version]
Lifeline
Live Flesh
Love And Let Love!
Love Paradox
Madadayo [HK Version]
Marty's World
Memento Mori [HK Version]
One Eye Open
One Of The Lucky Ones [Mega Star]
One Of The Lucky Ones [Universe]
Open Your Eyes
Postmen In The Mountains
The Princess Of Temple Street
Remember M, Remember E
The Scent Of Love [2001]
The Secret Pursuit
Sky Lover
Sleeping Bride
The Son's Room
The Soong Sisters [Old Version]
Stolen Love
Summer I Love You [US Version]
Three Seasons [Wide Sight]
Transfiguration Of Life
A War Named Desire
Who Am I? [Uncut HK Version]
Yesterday You, Yesterday Me
Old 09-10-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DITTO - romantic fantasy (think Il Mare combined with elements of Frequency) that I really like. I have the Mei Ah R3, and it's fine.

THE KING OF MASKS - an absolute gem of a movie that actually had a brief U.S. theatrical run. I have the all-region Mei Ah release and I reallydon't recall much about the picture quality - if it was not very good, I'm sure I'd remember that.

BIO-ZOMBIE - Fun, if you like this sort of thing (I do!) and I lways enjoy watching Jordan Chan.

THE KID - Leslie Cheung makes this one worth while. The story gets a bit sappy, but it is very well done.
Old 09-10-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Last Present is a terribly obnoxious film, and that version of Memento Mori is fullscreen. Avoid.

I agree that Ditto is worthwhile, and Ha Ji-Won is hot.
Old 09-11-06, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bio-Zombie: Enjoyable! Cheesy HK silliness, but a lot of fun. If you are expecting horror and high-tech gore, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for drive-in "B" movie fare, I think you will like it a lot. I did. The good news about the HK version is that is has an "alternate ending" you can watch (along with the regular ending). The Media Blasters R1 does not. However, the regular ending is better in my book. The R1 probably has better subs than the HK, but I think the letterbox transfer is the same. The HK is a lot cheaper, too.

Ditto: If you like romances, this is pretty darn good. I have this exact DVD. It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't recall any problems. I don't think there is or will be an R1 (well, there is the Tai Seng import, but it is the exact same DVD, only with the Tai Seng sticker covering up the Mei Ah logo). So you might as well get this--unless you want to spring the big bucks ($25+) for the Korean DVD.

Interview: I like this movie also. Quite different style than you are probably expecting. Part realistic documentary, part romance. I had this DVD and upgraded to the Korean version. (The HK is full screen, whereas the Spectrum is widescreen.)

Last Present: Didn't do it for me. I like melodramatic tear-jerkers when they strike me the right way. Some films like this give you heart-wrenching true emotion and characters you can invest in and care about. And then you have Lifetime movie of the week. Last Present is the latter.

Memento Mori: Hmmm, ghost horror at the Korean high school with not so subtle lesbian undertones. That's the plus. The minus is that it is pretty slow moving. This is another one where I went for the Korean release which is anamorphic, DD 5.1, and has some features (I believe the HK is full frame non-anamorphic and bare bones). I think Tartan has put this out in the U.S., which might be as good as the Korean DVD, but easier to come by. Ah, but that $5 really ropes you in for the HK versions!

Who Am I?: You could get the U.S version, but it is cut by about 20 minutes, so if you like Jackie Chan, this would be a good one to get. The HK is uncut. Interestingly enough, I think the original language was English, so you aren't missing anything. Don't be fooled by Mandarin soundtracks--now there's your dub!

Old 09-11-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by divemaster
Who Am I?: You could get the U.S version, but it is cut by about 20 minutes, so if you like Jackie Chan, this would be a good one to get. The HK is uncut. Interestingly enough, I think the original language was English, so you aren't missing anything. Don't be fooled by Mandarin soundtracks--now there's your dub!
The original soundtrack for Who Am I? is about 80-90% English, with a little Cantonese and I think Aboriginal at the beginning. The DVD has English subtitles for the whole film, so you just turn the subtitle track on at the beginning, then turn it off when the film switches to English.
Old 09-11-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by divemaster

Holy deja vu.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Keep them coming.
Old 09-11-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe you still haven't succumbed to placing this order.
Old 09-11-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Must narrow down and avoid some of the crap that I know the majority of those titles probably are.

Old 09-11-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Open Your Eyes (Abres Los Ojos) is a great lil movie if you haven't seen it (was remade into Vanilla Sky).
Old 09-11-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked "The Fruit Is Swelling", if it's the first one in that series.