Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best version of Audition?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was watching Audition last night on the sundance channel, and noticed that the image was clearer in standard defention then on the dvd, and when i put the dvd on, i noticed how choppy and unsmooth it was. And also i noticed that the dvd was 5 minutes shorter then the sundance version, so i assume that the dvd is a pal transfer.

So, how are the other regions versions?
Old 08-09-06, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best version is the Tartan R2 UK 'collectors edition' - all others are a little crappy by comparison.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/audition.htm
Old 08-09-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I concur completely (and have personally compared the same three discs that the Beaver reviews). A German release that preceded the UK one may be more or less identical (or, who knows, maybe even a tad better), but German discs tend to be very expensive to import, even if you can still find that release.

My only quibble with the Beaver review is with this statement: "The DTS track on the Tartan DVD is surprisingly flat. While the normal stereo track is quiet effective and the 5.1 track is very spacial, the DTS lacks definition in the rears."

That is not my experience at all. Perhaps I should compare again, but I did conduct a quick comparison when I got the R2 Tartan disc and found the DTS track to be superior to the other tracks on that disc and the first R1 release. Again, it's been awhile and so I hesitate to make a definitive statement, but that was certainly my reaction at the time.
Old 08-09-06, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rypro, you don't say which version you have. If you have the reissued R1, know that it seems to be from the same source as the Tartan disc, but is markedly softer.

I have had both R1 discs and the Tartan, and the Tartan is the one to get. I didn't notice any problems with the DTS track, either.
Old 08-09-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Region 2 from Germany (Rapid Eye Movies) is considered one of the best as well.
Old 08-09-06, 12:55 PM

I also have the Tartan R2 UK PAL edition and happy with it. only wish it would have more extra...
Old 08-09-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Rypro, you don't say which version you have. If you have the reissued R1, know that it seems to be from the same source as the Tartan disc, but is markedly softer.

I have had both R1 discs and the Tartan, and the Tartan is the one to get. I didn't notice any problems with the DTS track, either.
sorry, i have the anamorphic reissue. Does the Region 2 version have that same choppy look to it? I realize it may be the same transfer, but how much softer is the region 1 version?
Old 08-12-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have the reg2 to compare...but I can say how disappointed I am with the region 1 reissue. I hadn't watched it until last night....what a mess. The images are the softest I ever seen. Smearing on faces in background almost makes the detail discernable. Stay away from the r1 version. I guess it's triple dip time...since I owned the previous R1 release at one point too.

Ron
Old 08-14-06, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
sorry, i have the anamorphic reissue. Does the Region 2 version have that same choppy look to it? I realize it may be the same transfer, but how much softer is the region 1 version?
I don't remember any choppiness when I watched it. I did a direct comparison (well as direct as it can be when you have to swap discs in the machine!) and the difference is quite noticable. You won't have to squint or stick your nose 6" from the set to notice that the R1 is markedly softer.
Old 08-20-06, 04:35 PM
Banned

Yes, like some users already mentioned, the German disc is definitely the best release so far.
Once it was available at CD-WOW, I bought it there for 6€, which was a good bargain.

Here is a review with a screen comparison of the UK and German DVD.
I think it's very obvious. The review is in English.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=3615

Last edited by koolgrap; 08-20-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

keep in mind that comaprison is with the old Tartan release. the new r2 tartan Asia Collecto's edition is exactly the same as the german edition.