Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

NTSC to pal conversion problem...region free help

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had posted this over in hardware...but figured i would get more help over here.

Hey guys, I read the FAQ and couldn't find the answers for this.

i was attempting a remote hack on a few players and have been unable to make anything stick.

Toshiba SD3950 and pioneer dvd-v7400 are giving me audio, but the picture is flipping on the screen. the pioneer has a output switch for ntsc/pal on the back.

this is going through a basic yellow RCA cable to an older ntsc hitachi tube set

i am using the arrow films region 0 PAL faster pussycat disc.

i tried videohelp.com and dvd365.net with no luck.

i also have a zenith dvd2201 The VCD hack listed on those sites worked. but the region free code did not. i believe the code listed was for a UK model. mine was bought here in the states.
Old 07-28-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Toshiba SD3950 and pioneer dvd-v7400 are giving me audio, but the picture is flipping on the screen. the pioneer has a output switch for ntsc/pal on the back.
What you describe is what a PAL signal looks like on an NTSC set. Sounds like your players are handling the PAL disc, but they are not converting the signal to your TV. Unless flipping the switch on the Pioneer to NTSC helps, I don't think these players do signal conversion like some CyberHome models and my beloved Phillips DVP-642 does. I think you are stuck watching the DVD on your computer.
Old 07-28-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
For DVD players that do the conversion, it's important to keep the DVD player set the the video standard of your TV. The DVD player will automatically convert the video to the selected output type.

Unfortunately, it looks like you've got DVD players that aren't going to work. According to videohelp.com, the Pioneer doesn't have any region hacks, and the Toshiba can't do the conversion. Your best bet is the Zenith. Even if the region hack didn't work, it should still play your disc if the disc is truly region-free, provided your Zenith can handle PAL.
Old 07-28-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not looking good on the zenith...when i put it in, it reads dvd in the top corner and then says check disc in a black bar in center