Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Day Watch (DVD Soon?)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Day Watch (DVD Soon?)

Old 03-28-06, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Watch (DVD Soon?)

I noticed that there are some (almost certainly bootlegging) Ebay Seller pre-selling a Day Watch DVD with English Subs. Now I like most of you don't have an interest in this (because it is almost certainly a bootleg) but I am hoping that this means a legit Russian DVD of this film is coming soon.
Old 03-28-06, 07:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
I noticed that there are some (almost certainly bootlegging) Ebay Seller pre-selling a Day Watch DVD with English Subs. Now I like most of you don't have an interest in this (because it is almost certainly a bootleg) but I am hoping that this means a legit Russian DVD of this film is coming soon.
it's out...

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=7258
Old 03-28-06, 07:32 PM

OK I get it, the legit one has no English Subs. So the Ebay Bootlegging empire is just adding the Subs and making all the money. Honestly when are these companies going to learn that they could limit the effectiveness of the pirating if they would just but the subtitles on the legit releases. I easily have 10 friends right now with bootleg copies of Jet Li's Fearless, that would have bought the legit release insteed if it would of had the English Subs.
Old 03-29-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts
Strange, this same DVD is listed here with english subs:

http://www.alldvd.ca/productDisplay.do?itemId=5038
Old 03-29-06, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Strange, this same DVD is listed here with english subs:

http://www.alldvd.ca/productDisplay.do?itemId=5038

Here is the different: the one you linked says it is NTSC ALL REGION with subs. The legit one is PAL Region 5 without subs. So the one you linked is a bootleg with fan subs.
Old 03-30-06, 09:34 AM

From what I've read, both of those DVD's are actually illegal. The First Channel/The First Video Company DVD was produced at DVD plants that weren't licensed to produce DVD's. Making even those non-subtitled discs bootlegs too.

Philips, the company that owns exclusive patent rights for licensing and sale of DVDs in Russia until 2016, is the one reporting this and is apparently trying to stop the production of the bootlegs.
Old 03-30-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm, looks like I might have to make an exception to my "no bootlegs" policy.
Old 03-31-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can anyone confirm that this Day Watch DVD from www.alldvd.ca is anamorphic? It says widescreen, but that doesn't mean anamorphic...
Old 03-31-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
can anyone confirm that this Day Watch DVD from www.alldvd.ca is anamorphic? It says widescreen, but that doesn't mean anamorphic...
I would think that this is the same....

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=7258

Pro-B
Old 03-31-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, but this one has english subtitles....I already own a Day Watch "dvd" and it's non-anamorphic letterboxed with english subtitles
Old 03-31-06, 09:49 AM

At least one online web-zine: the very good Twitch.com thinks that these are both legit. Here is the article

There's been some buzz about this in some comment threads over the last day or so but it seems to be big enough news to merit it's own post.

A new DVD release of sci-fi / horror action flick Day Watch - Nochnoj Dozor 2, the sequel to Night Watch - has released in Russia. Big deal, you say, there's already a Russian release. Yes, but that one was PAL, region coded and not subtitled. This one is NTSC, region free and features English subtitles. And we're being told it's 100% legitimate.

This multiple releasing of DVD versions is unusual but not unprecedented, with this same distributor basically doing the same thing with Night Watch. There was a region coded, PAL edition for the local market plus a region free, NTSC release for export. The Russians, you see, have a piracy problem and unlike the rather dim studio execs on this side of the ocean who seem to believe that making legal product less available is the way to stifle bootlegging, the Russians understand that beating the bootleggers at their own game by getting high quality, legitimate releases into the hands of fans is the real way to go.

The English friendly edition is available at Alldvd.ca.
Old 03-31-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I'm fairly certain (from experience and correspondence with the owner) that www.alldvd.ca sticks to legit dvds. If they were actually wanting to make money off boots they'd definitely be releasing some stuff like bimmer/bimmer 2 and 9th Platoon with subs.
Old 03-31-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has any New Yorkers checked if they sell the English-subbed NTSC or PAL DVD of DAY WATCH in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn??
Old 03-31-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Has any New Yorkers checked if they sell the English-subbed NTSC or PAL DVD of DAY WATCH in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn??
Too far for me to go, but I will be purchasing the one off www.alldvd.ca since the consensus seems to be that it is not a bootleg...
Old 03-31-06, 12:05 PM

alldvd.ca doesn't usually sell bootlegs, but that doesn't mean that they simply don't know the situation with this disc. They are selling the version that Philips says is illegal.

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?idr=1&id=651312

I'm sure most people could care less, but it's still worth mentioning.
Old 03-31-06, 12:15 PM

I hadn't heard about the Philips stuff but wouldn't that be a question of paying patent fees for manufacturing the DVDs rather than bootlegging per se? The DVD publisher / distributor may be dealing with a less than ethical manufacturer while still being the legal rights holder for the DVD. So, not a bootleg, but manufactured in a factory that's not paying the proper rights fees.

I've asked AllDVD about the status of their discs a few times and they always insist that they deal only with legitimate releases. It's why you'll see a lot of things at RussianDVD.com that you don't see at AllDVD ...
Old 03-31-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't care if it's a bootleg or not, i just hope it's anamorphic with english subtitles
Old 03-31-06, 03:21 PM
Cool New Member

I just took a quick peek. It is indeed anamorphic, ntsc region-free with english subtitles. There is a featurette, trailer, trailers for 2 other movies and a 'who help us' section which seems to be ads. It is also dual layer.

There's also a holographic sticker on the front and on the back of the disc which contain different numbers and they are different for every disc.
Old 03-31-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a trailer for those who care:

http://dozornyi.com/news/dd_video/dd...ozornyi_ru.mov