Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rien Ne Va Plus (The Swindle)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick note that the UK will be getting Chabrol's Rien Ne Va Plus a.k.a The Swindle with an anamorphic transfer on March 27. Now, I have no idea if this will be a port of the MK2 version but conidering the Chabrol-hacks that have appeared in R1 through PathFinder...I would certainly consider it.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-14-06, 03:53 PM

Second Sight will also be releasing Chabrol's La Ceremonie on the same day.

Very odd that one French director has so many UK releases (must be 14 or 15 DVDs).
Old 02-15-06, 11:20 AM

Thanks, Pro-B -- I may well get this. I own quite a few Chabrols on DVD, but have to say I've somewhat lost track of his releases, both in France and overseas. I ended up picking up "La Ceremonie" while in Sweden last year. The last one I bought was the 2-disc of the one known in English as "The Bridesmaid" - has this ever surfaced on DVD in the UK/US?
Old 02-15-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nope...La Demoiselle d'honneur is not available in the UK...yet! No US distrib either!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-16-06, 06:27 AM

Thanks, Pro-B -- interesting to hear. I see that Cinefile released it theatrically in the UK last year, so a UK DVD may appear. For what it's worth -- and if you don't already have it -- I recommend the French 2-disc release. If I remember correctly I think it has French subs, but if you're OK with that and don't need an English option it is an enjoyable film, IMHO...

Dazza.
Old 02-16-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

O, yes Dazza...I am aware of the double set. In fact, this last weekend while at Borders I was reading either your Empire or HOTDOG, I can not recall which one was it, and there was a very interesting article about the lack of support from UK/US distribs. The magazine had a whole list of about 20 films that have been "neglected by distribs" in English speaking countries. (I can not remember which magazine it was but it had a very good article about James Dean).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-16-06, 05:41 PM

Release of Chabrol last film "L'ivresse du pouvoir" in french theatres next week.
Inspired a lot from the scandal of the french oil company Elf.
Official site her in french:
http://www.livressedupouvoir.com/
Old 02-16-06, 05:41 PM

Release of Chabrol last film "L'ivresse du pouvoir" in french theatres next week.
Inspired a lot from the scandal of the french oil company Elf.
Official site here in french:
http://www.livressedupouvoir.com/
Old 02-17-06, 04:37 AM

Tutut - thanks for the link. This was originally scheduled for December, wasn't it? After it didn't appear then I kind of forgot about it over the Christmas period. I will try to see it, assuming I can get along to a cinema that's screening it...

Dazza.
Old 02-17-06, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dazza
Tutut - thanks for the link. This was originally scheduled for December, wasn't it?
I guess they delayed the release for an exclusive presentation at the Berlinale.

After it didn't appear then I kind of forgot about it over the Christmas period. I will try to see it, assuming I can get along to a cinema that's screening it...
For people waiting for the release in other countries than France, check this page:
http://www.unifrance.org/films/etran...&affmenuleft=1
As you can see the release for Belgium was in December and in fact will be in March.
Old 02-17-06, 05:19 PM

I'm going to Paris in a couple of weeks and I'm really looking forward to seeing "L'ivresse du pouvoir" while I'm there.