Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

RPC1 & RPC2 & Matshita Drive... Is there region free software compatible with this?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

RPC1 & RPC2 & Matshita Drive... Is there region free software compatible with this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got both DVD Region+CSS Free and AnyDVD and neither of them work on my brand new Toshiba laptop with MATSHITA DVD RAM UJ841S. I can't watch my region 3 or region 4 DVDs. I found out that it may be because my drive is RPC2 and not RPC1. After being redirected to RPC1.org by a previous thread, I found out that I can download the firmware to change to RPC2. Is that safe? I probably won't do it if there is any other Region Free DVD software that works witha MATSHITA drive. Is there such software to watch my region 3 and 4 DVDs on my MATSHITA drive?
Old 02-09-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try using VLC to play your DVDs - it is a media player ported from linux to windows. It plays just about EVERYTHING and it completely bypasses all the RPC1/RPC2 region crap.

Get it from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Picture quality is usually superb. The only downside is that user interface is a little clunky, but in return for puzzling it out you will find that it has options up the wazoo in case you need some options up there.

One hint - if you want to make a configuration change, you need to save it, exit VLC and rerun it before it will take effect.
Old 02-09-06, 11:00 PM

Unfortunately, VLC will probably not cut it. To make a long story short, most Matshita drives are designed so that you can't get around region encoding using VLC or a DVD ripper.

If you have a patched firmware for your drive, then that should fix it -- at least in principle. However, be warned that flashing firmware (especially hacked firmware!) is inherently somewhat risky, and you could end up with a broken drive and a voided warranty. At the very least, make 100% sure that you've got firmware that matches your drive's model exactly: if you flash the wrong firmware onto your drive, you're almost guaranteed to end up with a Matshita brand paperweight.