Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre Order of The Promise (Hong Kong Version) by Chen Kai Ge

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanna tell you guys that The Promise (Hong Kong Version) has finally started the pre order.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004103427/

Release date is 28/2/2006
Old 01-30-06, 10:00 AM

I'm not sure if it was my super low expectations as this film seems to be getting bashed, but to my surprise I actually found the first 45 minutes or so to be a pretty damn good ride. The pacing of this stretch reminded me of the first 10 minutes or so of The Revenge of the Sith. The movie started in a battle, and really the action didn't slow down until close to the 40 minute mark. Overall I can't say this is a great "movie" because of the story, especially after I didn't really have a positive view of SPL, but none the less it was pretty "cool" for the first bit for a popcorn type of movie.
Old 01-30-06, 02:15 PM

i was able to buy a copy of this movie on dvd from a store in a chinatown here in the philippines. and its already an original dvd worth around like 4 dollars. very cheap
Old 01-30-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by uebetan12@yahoo
i was able to buy a copy of this movie on dvd from a store in a chinatown here in the philippines. and its already an original dvd worth around like 4 dollars. very cheap
It's probably a bootleg, sorry to tell you.
Old 01-30-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's probably a bootleg, sorry to tell you.
While you might be correct, isn't there also the possibility that it was the mainland release. The mainland release is also available in Chinatowns here in the U.S. I don't know anything about the Philippine market but I'm just tossing this in as a possibility.
Old 02-18-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone shed some light on what this might be.........buyoyo.com is listing an already available, English-subbed, mainland DVD release of an extended (seemingly by more than an hour) version of "The Promise". I don't really see this listed on other sites. Link follows:

Buyoyo.com - "The Promise" Extended Version DVD
Old 02-18-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
While you might be correct, isn't there also the possibility that it was the mainland release. The mainland release is also available in Chinatowns here in the U.S. I don't know anything about the Philippine market but I'm just tossing this in as a possibility.
Those are bootlegs as well...Was in Chinatown today for the first time in a while and the Promise (2 versions of it actually) were in all the stores and they are clearly boots. I also wanted to pick up Tom Yum Goon and Sympathy for Lady Venegance, and both of them were boots.
Old 02-19-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Those are bootlegs as well...Was in Chinatown today for the first time in a while and the Promise (2 versions of it actually) were in all the stores and they are clearly boots. I also wanted to pick up Tom Yum Goon and Sympathy for Lady Venegance, and both of them were boots.
Aren't the 2 versions of The Promise (a 1 disc and a 2) by Zoke Culture?
Is Zoke a bootlegging company or a Mainland China distributor?

As for the others (you're from NYC right) I was very disapppointed when
I made a trip to Chinatown and found that the boots now pretty much
outnumber the legit dvds in two of the 3 stores along Bowery (the one
on the corner of Canal and the one just north of it). It used to just be
anime that was severely bootlegged in these shops, but now it's practically
everything.

Lai Ying is still a good place to shop though (I believe that's the name,
the one on Bowery furthest from Canal).
Old 02-19-06, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn

everything.

I think there's about 5 mainland versions, 1 disc, 2 disc, 3 pick you star on the cover versions, to begin with.

Zoke is a legit mainland company. They have various lines, the cheapo 'red cover' dvd-5 with popup ads and scrolling logo, an SE dvd-9 line and I've heard of an HD Cam series. Possibly you're seeing boots of the Zoke red cover line?

I found the 'extended version on Cnave's site but can't determine what it really is. My guess is that it's just the regular cut with less extras added to get the 194 minutes...but you never know.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-19-06 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 06:11 PM

I have the Zoke, and it's legit. They usually drop DVD's a few weeks early (Pal format), and they do have adds on the cover art, before the menu's, and a few times on the top right of the screen during the movie. The adds don't bother me however, and the price makes them cheap enough for movie's I'd like to see sooner than later. One of the shops up here carries those release, so I don't have to pay for shipping on them either. The adds in The Promise weren't distracting at all, but given the release of the Hk being around the corner I'd wait for that. When I picked it up there were 2 Zoke version's, one being a 2 disc with some making of feature that didn't have English sub's (for the bonus). I since sold it for a few bucks to someone as I plan on getting the HK version when I get around to ordering it.
Old 02-19-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn

everything.

Yeah, there are definitely a whole lot more boots now then before, and I think I am done now buying there, and going to stick to online purchases. Yeah it costs more, but at least I'll get what I want. As for the Promise, I obviously cant be 100% that they are boots, but they sure as hell looked like it, and I am not going to take the chance. If they arent boots, then they are pretty shitty looking and wouldnt want to purchase them anyways.
Old 02-21-06, 08:50 AM

All the mainland listings of The Promise have been dropped at buyoyo.com now that the HK version is out. Sensasian still has them, though.
Old 02-24-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
All the mainland listings of The Promise have been dropped at buyoyo.com now that the HK version is out. Sensasian still has them, though.
It looks like most of the mainland releases are once again appearing at buyoyo.com (including the supposed "extended version").
Old 02-28-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pleasantly surprised to report that I rather enjoyed this one. Despite it being one of my more anticipated films, I was aware that it took somewhat of a critical beating so maybe that helped in setting the bar a little lower with regard to my expectations.

Given that a name director like Chen Kaige was in charge, I can see where it would be expected that "The Promise" might transcend its genre roots. It doesn't, but I found it to be very enjoyable light entertainment.

Actually the weakest part is over fairly early in to the film.......the CGI for a stampede scene is weak and doesn't really fit the material, it felt like something more at home in a children's animated film. That is followed by a brief battle scene in which the opposition and action is more comic in effect. That would be my biggest gripe; I would have handled the brief battle in a more serious manner.

There weren't nearly as many fights as I had expected, actually I suppose they might have been barely passable in number but far too short in duration. Plus the action/fights while visually very interesting, weren't - looking at it from a more technical level - anywhere near the more recent wuxias.....a lot of CGI and less of the craftsmanship seen in other films....but still they were enjoyable to watch. Actually "The Promise" is probably more sword 'n sorcery fantasy than traditional wuxia. Truly, don't go in expecting a fight-fest because you will be very disappointed....enjoy it both for its "far from high-brow but enjoyable nonetheless" storytelling and its often imaginitive/pretty visuals.

If you are put off by excessive CGI and a lot of fantasy-type material then this film isn't for you. There is a lot of it and some isn't too great but - aside from the aforementioned stampede - it was effective for this, I'll call it comicbook-type, material.

On the whole though, I did think the film was rather splendid as far as visuals. The performances were okay given the material which really is very storybook popcorn fare. The film didn't really reach me on any emotional level but it was fun to watch and like I said its primary strength is that it features quite a bit of cinematic eye-candy from start to finish.

Before commiting to a final score I'd prefer to give it some time but as of now I'd rate it a positive and enthusiastic 6.5/10. "The Promise" would have high replay value for me. I easily preferred it over "Duelist" and "Seven Swords", and scoring on entertainment value it would be a close call between "The Promise" and Jackie Chan's "The Myth" (they each had their own strong points).
Old 03-02-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up the 2 disc w/postcards/book edition and my Cyberhome 320 won't
display the English subtitles (it plays the Chinese subs though). They work
just fine on the other 2 players we have hooked up in the house, just not
the Cyberhome. Anyone else have this problem with any player, and if so
is there a setting that corresponds to it (I know, it's a crap player and I'm
grasping at straws?
Old 05-31-06, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to say I watched this last night and I was supremely disappointed in this film. The film's tone never seem to gel. All the effects shots in this movie couldn't save the story (or the lackthereof). Even the effects work seemed glaringly inconsistent - but mostly on the bad side. Even the brief fight scenes seemed mechanical and didn't elict any emotional impact. Suffice to say, I'd have to say that this film sits along side 'The Legend of Zu' as a film where style was definately over substance.