Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a good edition of "One Eyed Jacks" available anywhere?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a couple of the US public domain copies and they are all either way too dark or too light with terrible sound quality.

Does anyone know of a good edition?
Old 01-20-06, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this on another forum:

I was surprised to learn that Paramount France released an authorized edition in Region 2 PAL under the title La Vengeance aux deux visages (One-Eyed Jacks). Les Films De Ma Vie is the label, in their Hollywood Memories series "collection derigee par Claude Berri et Jean-Francois Davy." I found a used copy on eBay, and sent my money only after assurances from the seller that I would not be disappointed. I wasn't. It's excellent. The DVD is in full-bodied stereophonic sound, rich Technicolor, excellent picture quality, and an accurate aspect-ratio of 1:85.1. The only downside are burned-in French subtitles -- tiny and not obtrusive. My guess is this French edition is not sourced from the laser disc, but from the same elements as the laser disc. The DVD has a fully active menu with a supplement of promotional art, biographies, filmographies, and a trailer for ROYAL WEDDING. The cover art is the same as the theatrical poster, showing a tortured sketch of Brando in red serape. I have no idea where to buy the Les Films De Ma Vie edition, but it is certainly worth seeking out. You will of course need a multi-region player to play it.