Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Preorder now: "Welcome to Dongmakgol" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"! (R3K)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Preorder now: "Welcome to Dongmakgol" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"! (R3K)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about getting the Korean Lady Vegeance DVD and had a couple questions I haven't seen answered. Is the fade to black and white version DTS only or is there Dolby track? Is only the movie subbed in English or the extras as well? Also, I know this is kind of a long shot but I've heard that alot of times Korean DVDs are marked as R3 but are really region free, which is this one?
Old 12-31-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
The fade version has both DTS and Dolby, but no commentary - that's only on the color version, which has two commentaries - and like all the other extras, the commentaries are NOT subbed in English, though both versions of the movie are.
The dvd is definitely R3.
Old 12-31-05, 11:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The fade version has both DTS and Dolby, but no commentary - that's only on the color version, which has two commentaries - and like all the other extras, the commentaries are NOT subbed in English, though both versions of the movie are.
The dvd is definitely R3.
i thought the extras were subbed? if not that sucks and i wonder why i got it.
Old 12-31-05, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
for the film?
Old 12-31-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i thought the extras were subbed.
Why? I can't recall any Korean dvd with subbed extras.
Old 12-31-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today. The prongs for both trays of the digipack were broken but the discs were undamaged. Digipacks can kiss my ass. Maybe I can make a custom cover and put them in an amaray case. Anybody know if it's possible to just replace the trays?
Old 12-31-05, 03:51 PM

Don't know if anyone cares but the colors on the Chinese DVD and the Korean DVD are pretty different. The Korean dvd looks very washed out where as the Chinese DVD's colors look more vibrant. Some comparisons: (Tops are Chinese, bottoms are Koreans.

I personally like the Chinese colors better imo. Does the cinematography more justice I think. Though I don't know which is closer to what the director wanted. I was also told that at the time he didn't put the b/w print out cause he didn't have the means to do it at the time and later did. I dunno though.

edit: It should be stated though that some of the blacks do seem blacker on the Korean dvd as well as it being a little sharper as well. The colors aren't THAT muted everywhere but in particular scenes the colors are better on the Chinese DVD as well as the skin tones have a bit more color imo. The orange wall on the Chinese DVD is much more striking than the brown one on the Korean DVD for example. But that's me.

Last edited by astrocity20; 12-31-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-31-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By Chinese, do you mean the HK, or is there a mainland release also?
Old 12-31-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had put in a pre-order at dvdasian around thanksgiving and when i didn't receive a shipping noticed I went to their site and saw that SFLV was delayed till 1/10 for a second pressing. What happened to the 1st pressing? Also, was the LE only for the 1st pressing?
Old 12-31-05, 04:38 PM

I mean the HK release.
Old 12-31-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
I had put in a pre-order at dvdasian around thanksgiving and when i didn't receive a shipping noticed I went to their site and saw that SFLV was delayed till 1/10 for a second pressing. What happened to the 1st pressing? Also, was the LE only for the 1st pressing?
If by first pressing you are referring to the HK edition, there was a problem with the audio as detailed earlier in the thread. The LE refers to the Korean edition with the fragile digipack trays.
Old 12-31-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, i watched this film from a blind buy purchase (loved the others in the trilogy). I real liked this film. I can't wait to show it to a friend of mine,who owns a small art house theater in KC. He will usually bring in films that others have no interest in or extend the screenings of a film in KC, when another theater has ended their run. He will love this film...he was the only theater offering Old Boy...so I'm sure he'll pick this up.

As far as the black comedy vs the raw emotion of most of the final act...I have to admit I really enjoyed the comedic element of the film...almost didn't want it to change directions..but how could he not when dealing with the darkness of the crimes. Though it's not my favorite of the three...it's almost like being asked to pick your favorite of your children...they all have different qualities that you love equally for many different reasons. What a great cinematic experience from Park''s Vengeance Trilogy. It would be great if he ran all three films together...but almost too much for an audience to take emotionally to watch all three in one sitting.

Ron
Old 01-01-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what exactly comes with "Welcome To Dongmakgol" LE that justifies the extra ~$6? A couple of booklets?
Old 01-01-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 01-01-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

add me to the list of people confused by this thread.

first off, is dvdfromkorea.com , yesasia.com and dvdheaven.com all reliable places to order from?

anyone have additional comments on the chinese DVD mentioned above with the screencaps, the colors do look better to me. also is there any links available for the chinese version? does the chinese DVD have both the color and fade to black and white version?

im ready to order but stand confused.
Old 01-01-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
add me to the list of people confused by this thread.

first off, is dvdfromkorea.com , yesasia.com and dvdheaven.com all reliable places to order from?

anyone have additional comments on the chinese DVD mentioned above with the screencaps, the colors do look better to me. also is there any links available for the chinese version? does the chinese DVD have both the color and fade to black and white version?

im ready to order but stand confused.
1.yes they are all reliable even though yesasia might be more expensive.
2. if you are ordering the HK, there are problems with the 5.1 audio as it drops off after an hour. if you are going to use the DTS audio option then you are good to go.
3. No the HK version does not have both versions.

Note that it seems that most sellers are waiting on a second run of the Korean version just in case you see a future release date.
Also important to note that 99.8% of korean dvds that i've run across do not have subtitled extras (at least not in english) so if that kind of stuff is important to you then keep it in consideration. Why would anyone think otherwise is beyond me. I'm upset i didn't order it from annyoung when it was cheaper. I had no money and now either so i'll have to wait some more.
Old 01-01-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrocity20
Don't know if anyone cares but the colors on the Chinese DVD and the Korean DVD are pretty different. The Korean dvd looks very washed out where as the Chinese DVD's colors look more vibrant...

I personally like the Chinese colors better imo. Does the cinematography more justice I think. Though I don't know which is closer to what the director wanted. I was also told that at the time he didn't put the b/w print out cause he didn't have the means to do it at the time and later did. I dunno though.

edit: It should be stated though that some of the blacks do seem blacker on the Korean dvd as well as it being a little sharper as well. The colors aren't THAT muted everywhere but in particular scenes the colors are better on the Chinese DVD as well as the skin tones have a bit more color imo. The orange wall on the Chinese DVD is much more striking than the brown one on the Korean DVD for example. But that's me.
Yes, that's you, as "better" color is very subjective.

The director was very involved and hands-on with the Korean dvd (he introduces and explains the B&W version when you put in the 2nd disc). So, since he supervised the production of the Korean dvd (and not the HK dvd), the color grading on the Korean dvd is the one approved by the director and therefore (regardless of which looks "better") it's the "appropriate" one.
Old 01-02-06, 05:05 AM

im sorry but Id never lay my hands on a HK release, they are always of poor quality, what should've been a DVD9 becomes a DVD5. I own over 315 Korean retails and not one of them is a HK release, why? because for the most part HK = cheap crap
Old 01-02-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for generalizing.
Old 01-02-06, 03:07 PM

so are the extras meaningful at all if they have no eng. subs and do not know the language?
Old 01-03-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so are the extras meaningful at all if they have no eng. subs and do not know the language?

The problem with your previous statement is that you EXPECTED them to have english subs, when (as the other member pointed out) english subs on a Korean or HK dvd of a non-english film's extra's is NOT the norm. Your little statement/rant about why did you buy this film?...is not reasonable or logical expectation.

enough said, later

Ron
Old 01-03-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
The problem with your previous statement is that you EXPECTED them to have english subs, when (as the other member pointed out) english subs on a Korean or HK dvd of a non-english film's extra's is NOT the norm. Your little statement/rant about why did you buy this film?...is not reasonable or logical expectation.

enough said, later

Ron
Old 01-03-06, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RonBoster

enough said, later

Ron
boy, you're a funny, funny guy who seems to dwell in the past.

again, so are the extras meaningful at all if they have no eng. subs and do not know the language?
Old 01-03-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

boy, you're a funny, funny guy who seems to dwell in the past.

again, so are the extras meaningful at all if they have no eng. subs and do not know the language?

Logically the answer should be "no."
Old 01-03-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what are you asking? He just told you that no one should expect a korean release for a korean market (domestic) to have substitles in the extras. Especially because it is Korea and as said by many, almost non of their dvd releases include subs (english or any other language period) for the extras. If you don't care about the extras since they are no used for you then maybe waiting for a release from the UK or US is your best bet. If you are like most people here and need to see stuff right away and want what usually is a high quality product then you go for the Korean release especially if you want both the full color and black and white version. Would we like english subs on the extras? We would love them but we know that when it comes to Korea it is not the norm and we don't expect them although we would love to be surprised. Maybe you would fare better with the HK edition since is cheaper and that way you are not paying for extras that have no used to YOU. Hey if you want I'll buy the Korean release from you since I have not picked it up. then you can just wait for another release that has subbed extras.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.