Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Preorder now: "Welcome to Dongmakgol" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"! (R3K)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Preorder now: "Welcome to Dongmakgol" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"! (R3K)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 09:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Well not necessarily in a row, but you post more on these forums then anyone else I know and you ask more questions than my 6 y/o nephew, most of which you could easily answer yourself by doing a little searching. So ragging on someone for posting too much and suggesting searching is, in your case, well... ironic.
considering i post less than 5 per day and maybe start a thread once every 2 weeks, i think you are reaching enormously.
Old 12-16-05, 09:34 AM

back to topic...

is SFLV more like Oldboy or SFMV? because i was a little disappointed by SFMV.
Old 12-16-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii
ok, I found it. The "initial press" is limited to 9,000

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com

I mentioned this earlier on in the thread, but even as of today the spec's stand.

Anyone else notice that the B&W disc is DTS only? And that the color doesn't have DTS? lol

Is this not bordering on the OLDBOY sound problems across "versions"?? I recall some versions of OLDBOY having 5.1, others having DTS....now this!??!

I'm not that much of an audio junky, but what if I wanted a DTS version of the theatrical cut? lol

YESASIA and DVDFROMKOREA are both listing disc 1 as 5.1, and disc 2 as DTS
So, more questions; Is 9,000 a lot, or not, in the scheme of things? And doesn't "initial press" make it sound like there will be a "second press"? If this is an LE, what will the standard release be like?

I wish CJ Entertainment would just come out and say what their release plans are. I can't imagine they'd release 9,000 copies of a film with this type of mass audience and then say, "Well, that's it. No longer available. OOP."
Old 12-17-05, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by ehonauer
So, more questions; Is 9,000 a lot, or not, in the scheme of things? And doesn't "initial press" make it sound like there will be a "second press"? If this is an LE, what will the standard release be like?

I wish CJ Entertainment would just come out and say what their release plans are. I can't imagine they'd release 9,000 copies of a film with this type of mass audience and then say, "Well, that's it. No longer available. OOP."
park has said what he intends to do with the lady vengeance DVD - keep it simple this time, and dont keep putting out different editions. the vengeance boxset will simply collect standard editions of each into a box as far as this rule goes. as for the quantity, dvds dont sell well in korea at all so 9k copies is pretty standard apparently... yes, there will be a second press probably, but it doesnt follow that it will be any different or the initial one somehow financially valuable.
Old 12-17-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by logboy
park has said what he intends to do with the lady vengeance DVD - keep it simple this time, and dont keep putting out different editions. the vengeance boxset will simply collect standard editions of each into a box as far as this rule goes. as for the quantity, dvds dont sell well in korea at all so 9k copies is pretty standard apparently... yes, there will be a second press probably, but it doesnt follow that it will be any different or the initial one somehow financially valuable.
Still a little confused, since this is being marketed as a Limited Edition. So the standard edition is the Limited Edition? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 12-17-05, 10:47 PM

just ordered Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, April Snow, and Welcome to Dongmakgol, all LEs, all from dvdfromkorea.com. do you think i'm too late or will all of these movies still be available to me? (i know one of them is limited to 5000)...am i too late? (ooh, asiandb also says that star signatures are randomly included...does that mean each LE has someone's signature, or that some of the LEs may or may not have a sig in it?)

Last edited by royalwithcheese; 12-17-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
(ooh, asiandb also says that star signatures are randomly included...does that mean each LE has someone's signature, or that some of the LEs may or may not have a sig in it?)
Don't know but only some LE's of Crying Fist (or was it A Bittersweet Life, can't remember...) were signed.
Old 12-18-05, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ehonauer
Still a little confused, since this is being marketed as a Limited Edition. So the standard edition is the Limited Edition? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
unnecessarily described as a limited edition. no dvds in korea appear to be made in any kind of reasonable quantity cos they dont sell too well... as for some being autographed, as with 'a bittersweet life' (the most recent example where everyone was hoping theirs would be signed, cos it was revealed to be the case) a lot of korean dvds are randomly signed...
Old 12-18-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

unnecessarily described as a limited edition. no dvds in korea appear to be made in any kind of reasonable quantity cos they dont sell too well... as for some being autographed, as with 'a bittersweet life' (the most recent example where everyone was hoping theirs would be signed, cos it was revealed to be the case) a lot of korean dvds are randomly signed...
Yes, well, one's chances depend on which wholesale distributor Yesasia or Annyoung use.

There are two very large stores in Korea, and retailers in the States who order from them would be more likely to get said copies.

Anyone remember which online stores netted the highest percentage of auto'd copies of Bittersweet Life?
Old 12-18-05, 09:46 AM

whoa, some copies of bittersweet life were signed? i have to get one! ya, like what gerbil said, which stores are more likely to have signed copies still? and is dvdfromkorea likely to have signed copies of welcome to dongmakgol?
Old 12-18-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no dvds in korea appear to be made in any kind of reasonable quantity cos they dont sell too well...
I've never really had a problem getting a hold of any Korean DVD, even in between pressings. Usually some distributor somewhere has some copies lying around, except in the case of the real Limited Editions (e.g. Save The Green Planet, Memories of Murder, Oldboy UE).

I'm just trying to figure out whether Sympathy For Lady Vengeance is a real LE (see aforementioned titles) or a fake LE (e.g. Silmido). From what you're saying, it's the latter case, although I haven't heard anything from CJ Entertainment explicitly stating whether it's an LE or not, just inferences based on statements made by Chan-wook Park several months ago. I tried the CJ Entertainment site but strangely enough my ability to read Hangul has not been improved by heavy doses of Korean cinema....
Old 12-18-05, 01:57 PM

haha ya, silmido is a fake LE, i was duped (though it's a good movie and i'm glad i have the nice version of it)
Old 12-18-05, 03:01 PM

SFLV release date has been pushed back to the 27th.
Old 12-18-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not too surprising. If it's true, this will not be a Merry Christmas. What's your source?
Old 12-18-05, 06:05 PM

Sorry, I may be mistaken. Twitch reported this new release date, which is also on DVDheaven but the "old" date is still on MadMad and DVDfromKorea.
Old 12-19-05, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vision of Love
Sorry, I may be mistaken. Twitch reported this new release date, which is also on DVDheaven but the "old" date is still on MadMad and DVDfromKorea.
yep, its delayed til the 27th.
Old 12-19-05, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDfromKorea says it is a packaging issue (?). Here's the email they sent out:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for using DVDfromKOREA.com

With reference to your order of "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance", please be advised that the release date of this DVD has been delayed to 27 Dec. 2005 due to the package problem.

We are really sorry for this delay and we will ship your order when this item is released.

Best Regards,

DVDfromKOREA.com
Old 12-19-05, 05:35 PM

so what is this "package problem"?
Old 12-21-05, 01:20 PM

Hmmm I was going to order the R3 HK release but then I realized Panorama was putting it out and I have a few of their DVD's, and am not overly impressed with them...
Old 12-21-05, 01:58 PM

Hmmm I was going to order the R3 HK release but then I realized Panorama was putting it out and I have a few of their DVD's, and am not overly impressed with them...
Are you thinking of the Ozu or Tora-San series? Their releases of current films like Election and Everlasting Regret, 2 Young, Hidden Blade and their Cathay reissues are all quite respectable. All except the Cathay reissues are anamorphic I believe.
Old 12-21-05, 06:21 PM

Well I have Lilja 4-Ever and Samaritan Girl from Panorama on DVD. Samaritan Girl looks pretty good but suffers from lots of print damage and some ghosting (probably not a progressive transfer). Lilja suffered from tons of PAL-to-NTSC ghosting which made it very difficult for me to watch, and the subtitles were very very odd.... so I dunno, I may just wait for a review!
Old 12-21-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I want to pre-order SFLV, but I fear a bigger expanded edition in the future. Has anyone heard news of something like that coming out?
Old 12-22-05, 12:05 AM

Now Dongmakgol is being released on December 29th. The closer the release gets moved to the start of my second semester, the less happy I am.

asianxcore, Park Chan-wook has said that this is pretty much it, aside from the revenge trilogy boxset that will follow.
Old 12-22-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Vision of Love
Now Dongmakgol is being released on December 29th. The closer the release gets moved to the start of my second semester, the less happy I am.

asianxcore, Park Chan-wook has said that this is pretty much it, aside from the revenge trilogy boxset that will follow.
good to know, thanks! probably will put in my order in soon.
Old 12-23-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a shipping note from CDWOW on my copy of Sympathy for Lady Vengence this morning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.