Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Korean "Kill Bill" editions

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any information about these two releases?

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=28450

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=28451

Basically, is anything edited/censored, is the PQ better than the R1, etc.
Old 11-23-05, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Althought I don't know anything about these releases, I thought for a second someone actually had some sense and decided to release the uncut version outside of the Japanese R2.

Does anyone know why the only uncut version of Kill Bill 1 conitinues to be the Japanese R2?? Why doesn't anyone want to touch it?
Old 11-23-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii
Does anyone know why the only uncut version of Kill Bill 1 conitinues to be the Japanese R2?? Why doesn't anyone want to touch it?
Probably because Miramax/Weinsteins are planning on releasing an uncut/combined version of the films later next year.
Old 11-23-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The "Full Strength" cut of Vol. 1 was prepared by Tarantino specifically for the Japanese market. Hence the dedication to Kinji Fukasaku at the beginning where the US cut has the "Ancient Klingon Proverb" quote. The reason it hasn't been released elsewhere is a matter of distribution rights. That particular version of the movie is only licensed in Japan.

Either Miramax or the Weinsteins do have the rights to distribute the "Whole Bloody Affair" recut of the two volumes into one movie with the extra snippets from the Japanese version, but as yet have not done anything with it. The Weinsteins' split from Disney has left a lot of their planned projects in limbo.
Old 11-23-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I think I remember reading that the Japanese version also played theatrically in Hong Kong, but the HK DVD contains the non-Japanese cut. Not sure why that happened though.
Old 11-25-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I think I remember reading that the Japanese version also played theatrically in Hong Kong, but the HK DVD contains the non-Japanese cut. Not sure why that happened though.
I actually ordered the HK version along with the JPN version when they were initially released. CDWow was advertising it as the same cut. I returned it after watching it.
Old 11-25-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Yeah, I remember the confusion with that (a logical assumption though). Didn't it at least have a few small extras that the other versions didn't have (for example, extra trailers, etc. I can't remember the details, but the completist in me was considering picking it up anyway)
Old 11-25-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, I remember the confusion with that (a logical assumption though). Didn't it at least have a few small extras that the other versions didn't have (for example, extra trailers, etc. I can't remember the details, but the completist in me was considering picking it up anyway)

I can't really remember but it had some B-roll footage and something about the animation. It came in a cool looking slipcase similar to the one that was given away at BB. I think it's still available. I remember seeing it in the Chinatown in my area.

Edit: If you are considering purchasing it, I have to warn you that the pic quality (at least on my monitor) is subpar to the R1 and R2 Jpn release.

Last edited by mrhan; 11-25-05 at 02:04 PM.