Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Identify this movie, please: French 70's art film partly shot in Morocco

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trust members who like foreign films have a better chance at identifying this film than anybody else.

I saw this extremely slow-moving French (?) colour production in an art house in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) in the 70's. The beginning is set in contemporary France (Paris?) where a young man of Arab ancestry commits a crime (could be terrorism or gang related) and has to escape to the country of his ancestors (probably Morocco) in the hope of blending in and evading the police. The rest is a blur...

After a very impressive travelogue of stark desert landscapes, in a Moroccan village, the hero is introduced to an extremely slow tea (coffee?) ceremony which is very long and very contemplative, the hidden meaning of this being (I presume) that the character is getting in touch with his roots and forgetting about the maddening rhythm of modern life, as depicted in the first part of the film.

I was so impressed with the hypnotic quality of this film that I brought back a couple of friends to see it (it could have been a short subject, but it felt like hours). As luck would have it, there was something wrong with the projection machine that night and the film played something like 16 images per second which made the already-extremely slow-moving film even slower (with toned-down sound) so that my friends and most of the audience walked out in disgust, feeling they had been conned in a practical joke.

Any information on this film would be welcome. Thanks.