Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Il Postino...UK disc (comments)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to replace my R1 disc as it is non-anamorphic and would like to hear some comments on the UK disc of Il Postino. I am interested in knowing what the picture quality is like (as I understand it is 16/9)...as the only review available on the net is over at BBC and they obviously have no idea what they are talking about as they claim that the film is in 1.85:1 when it was clearly offered with a 1.66:1 OAR transfer.

So anyone that owns the UK disc and would like to comment on the technical specs...I am all ears!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-11-05, 12:39 PM

Svet, i had the UK-import in my hands in a shop this afternoon, and on the back it stated 1.66:1 widescreen, with no notification of anamorphic enhancement...

George
Old 10-11-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you for the note!! Well, this goes against all the information I have been able to find on various sites claiming that this is indeed a 16/9....in this case I might as well keep the R1 disc. Very strange!

There is a very nice SE out in Italy (I believe a DTS track is included) but no subs!! I can not believe that there isn't a single review of the UK disc.

Thank's for the info George,

Pro-B
Old 10-11-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Look at this review:

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/12/1...d_review.shtml

Pro-B
Old 10-11-05, 01:30 PM

You're welcome Svet...

Strange thing is that play, dvdcompare and laserdisken are listing it as anamorphic. Here's the backcover i found at laserdisken:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/bille...33&VIS=bagside

I remember some old dvd's where the anamorphic enhancement wasn't listed on the packaging. Maybe this is one of those dvd's?

George
Old 10-11-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Absolutely...that is exactly why (and seeing that it is on sale at Amazon.uk at the moment) I wanted to hear from someone that owns the UK dvd. The UK disc also features the 5.1 track whereas the R1 has only the 2.0 track. Of course the perfect scenario would have been if the Italian disc was English-friendly...

I am itching to give it a shot and see what comes out of it....

Pro-B
Old 10-31-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just wanted to put all speculations aside....unlike the R1 disc the R2 UK disc is indeed anamorphic and with a beautiful picture quality.

Happy me

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-23-05, 07:16 AM

I have no recollection of writing that review on the BBC - I know I did but after watching a few thousand discs specific DVDs fade somewhat from memory. I may still have it - if so I'll check it out!
Old 11-23-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hello Almar,

Welcome to the forum...and thanks for chiming in. Indeed, I already have the disc with me and it is anamorphic and in a 1.66 aspect ratio (unlike the 1.85:! your review states). The print has few marks here and there but overall it is fine with me (for now).

It is great to have you with us....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-24-05, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I did always strive to be accurate - especially back then as DVDs were not cheap, but that's not to say that the odd error didn't creep into a review here and there although amazingly I've not been taken too much to task over the years of the 2000+ reviews for the BBC. Mind you this may be the place where that all changes...