DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   using a uk player in usa (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/440419-using-uk-player-usa.html)

Coastergirl 10-05-05 05:59 AM

using a uk player in usa

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and looking forward to having a place to discuss DVD things!

My question is this... We are looking to purchase (in the UK) a portable DVD player that we can take on vacation with us to places like France, Cyprus, and most importantly - the US. We'd like to be able to plug it in to the hotel TV set - is this possible? Would the PAL/NTSC be any issue with a portable DVD player? (would be using our own dvds that we bring with us)

Sorry if that sounds a dumb question but I have no clue with this stuff, and can't find much clear and definitive info on the net.

Thanks in advance
Rachel

Josh Z 10-05-05 06:53 AM

Most portable players are compatible with both PAL and NTSC, and many can be made region free easily. Try looking up the model # on www.videohelp.com.

Europe uses a different voltage than the US, so you will need a voltage convertor. You should be able to pick one up in any travel shop.

logboy 10-05-05 12:24 PM

you know, i think a lot of portable players in the UK arent necessarily worth it - if you look at retailers selling japanese electronics (yesasia.com or j-list) they have small portable players without screens and with multiregion funtionality - if your carting around a screen and plugging it into a TV then its much better all round... i think.

Coastergirl 10-06-05 07:43 AM

Thanks, Josh, that website is excellent. There's so much information on it I don't know where to start...! The model I had looked at is on there, so that's good news. Logboy, I agree with what you're saying - why bother with a screen if we are going to plug it in to a TV anyway - but on some trips we are going to want to use it while travelling on a train etc.

Also, does the region-support of the player affect how it will work on a US TV? The DVDs will be ours so will be the correct region, I am not looking to buy DVDs from the US or anything.

Anyone know what lead will connect a UK portable DVD player to a US TV?

Thanks again!

logboy 10-06-05 12:15 PM

i suppose a player intentionally meant for multiregion should have ability to output signals covering both UK and USA tvs... cant be entirely sure, but i expect this is the case... as for cable, i suppose scarts way too large for a portable player, so you probably have the option of that little yellow-headed composite cable (remember, you often get red / yellow / white composite leads with things like consoles and other electronics that plug into tvs)...

just thought of something else, be wary of carrying so many dvds around - especially through customs points - both because theyre valuable and youll probably pack them in a convenient small case (easy to steal), but because they might try and charge duty (?)... these are also other issues...

Hendrik 10-11-05 03:30 PM

...why, if you're going to visit such exciting places as France, Cyprus, and the USA, where there are many wonderful, entertaining things to do - I say WHY would you want to lug around a DVD player and DVDs (and a current converter for the USA, where current is 110V/60C, as against Europe's 220V/50C) -plus a multi-plug, so you could plug in the unit in Europe (where plugs are medium-sized, as against the huge, klutzy, onerous plugs used in the UK) and the USA (where plugs are small, compared to the medium-sized European ones)... good luck trying to get an all-purpose plug in the UK - I tried and was unable to find one anywhere in London (although they are available in any big store in Switzerland, for instance...)

(signed) Curmudgeon

. . . ;) . . .