Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD 9 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD 9 questions

Ok, I am curious. I have been going down to Chinatown recently and have bought many DVD 9 DVD's. I then noticed here someone saying they are bootlegs. Is that true? Are all DVD 9 DVD's bootlegs? I was wondering because I have only had a couple that didn't work or were poor picture quality, the rest seemed fine. Is there any way to tell, besides guessing or if it didn't have a bar code. I never get ones without the barcode, but I am just surprised as most seem good quality. Also, I have been buying these in stores, not off the back of a truck. I'd love to hear all comments. Especially to let me know how to avoid a bootleg and if in fact all DVD 9 are bootleg (cause I think I got a few from yesasia.com - not positive though).

Thanks all.
Old 09-21-05, 01:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so... you're implying that this import I just bought from ThaiNetcity is a bootleg??

http://www.thainetcity.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=dveu
Old 09-21-05, 02:23 PM

Here's a better question, even if legit why do you continue to buy discs that at times could have bad quality?

...but since common sense doesn't seem to be an option for you, here's a definitive answer. NO.

I'm amazed on how lost people are when it comes to boots. If you can tell it's a boot, then it's not a good boot now is it?

When was the last time anyone decided to counterfiet money and mark each one so we knew?

lol
Old 09-21-05, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by splattii
Here's a better question, even if legit why do you continue to buy discs that at times could have bad quality?

...but since common sense doesn't seem to be an option for you, here's a definitive answer. NO.

I'm amazed on how lost people are when it comes to boots. If you can tell it's a boot, then it's not a good boot now is it?

When was the last time anyone decided to counterfiet money and mark each one so we knew?

lol
I guess I should have said arrogant pricks don't need to reply to my post. OK smart ass, to clarify, I don't continue to buy disks that may have poor quality. What I am buying is Asian films. I love many Asian films, especially horrors, and recently I came across a store is Chinatown that had an abundance of them. Many of these were at very low prices. I had been ordering from yesasia, but they recently let me down and also I started to get charged heavy customs charges, so when I found this store, I was pleased. Out of the about 30 DVD's I have bought recently, two were faulty. One was from YesAsia, and one from this store.

My specific question was concerning DVD 9 DVD's. I did a search and found some people saying they are bootlegs. So I was wondering if this is true or not and if only sometimes what are the best ways to tell. Thanks anyone who can help.
Old 09-21-05, 02:52 PM
Banned

If it's a movie that's currently out, it's a bootleg.
Old 09-21-05, 03:19 PM

a dvd 9 is a dual layer disc. frequently, a dvd that has dvd 9 listed somewhere on the cover (like a logo), is a bootleg. not always, but most of the time. alot of thai dvds have this on the front, and they are legit copies.
Old 09-21-05, 03:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dyerjp
a dvd 9 is a dual layer disc. frequently, a dvd that has dvd 9 listed somewhere on the cover (like a logo), is a bootleg. not always, but most of the time. alot of thai dvds have this on the front, and they are legit copies.
so the District 13 Thai disc is legit then???
Old 09-21-05, 04:35 PM

As a rule of thumb, if the cover features a very prominent "dvd9" on the front, chances are higher that it's a boot ...
Old 09-21-05, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so the District 13 Thai disc is legit then???
i have no idea. i do know that several of the thai dvds that i have do say DVD 9 on the cover, and are legit
Old 09-21-05, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the great info so far. Going by the answers so far I'm guessing I have some bootlegs. Most look good though, and I find it weird they'd be allowed to sell them in stores.
Old 09-22-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thalion
As a rule of thumb, if the cover features a very prominent "dvd9" on the front, chances are higher that it's a boot ...
Although the picture is small, the DVD9 on the front is pretty big. I used to have this and it is legit. This is a Thai release. However, most of the dvds that I have seen with dvd9 come from "china."

Old 09-22-05, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by saoirse
Thanks for the great info so far. Going by the answers so far I'm guessing I have some bootlegs. Most look good though, and I find it weird they'd be allowed to sell them in stores.
It's only a crime, if you get caught. The stores themselves may not even be aware that they are boots - knowing about boots vs legit releases is a levelm of sophistication beyond most joe six-packs.
Old 09-23-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... surely no R0 or R1 or R2 or R4 DVDs I've ever seen prominently feature "DVD9" on their (front) cover - and why should they?... no-one puts "DVD5" or "DVD10" or "DVD14" or "DVD18" on their (front) cover, although the back cover will/may mention (in very small print) what type of DVD it is (e.g. WB's disc of the 1954 "A Star Is Born" mentions - on the back cover - that it is a DVD14)...

. . . :0 . . .
Old 09-26-05, 01:38 AM

In Indonesia, most bootlegs feature "DVD 9" logo on the front cover, usually red, but sometimes in hologram sticker if it's bootleg from Malaysia (usually better quality too, as it's ripped from original very likely) So comrade saoirse, I guess it is very likely that you've bought bootlegs. Hope you get it cheap, about 80% cheaper than original, cause that's the price they mark here in Indonesia, FYI. I don't buy bootlegs, but if I want to buy bootlegs I want them extremely cheap.

Regarding vendor option, I'm afraid Yesasia is not cheap. It's just that the service is very good (based on my experience of course) and if you're in U.S. I presume yesasia has its own US site which is more convenient for US citizen. But if you want lower price, layoyo.com.hk is cheap, same stuff so I recommend to use that vendor. Some items could be 40% lower than yesasia.