Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantasm Box (R2) in Sept 2005!?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Phantasm Box (R2) in Sept 2005!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
you don't have to return the one you already have? that doesn't seem right...
Nope, no return necessary they said since it was overseas.
Old 11-05-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is what CD-Wow told me the one time I got a damaged DVD from them. They let me keep the damaged DVD, and just sent me a replacement based only on taking my word.
Old 11-06-05, 12:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
I looked at my set last night and there was a minor crease in the box. Any damage to any DVD or set I have kills me. I sent a very nice comment to Amazon and sure enough they are sending me a new set, charge free today!! I can't believe that. It is such a scam that you don't have to send anything back...why wouldn't everyone do this with everything from an overseas Amazon. I don't get it, but I sure am an extremely happy camper and can trade away the unopened set.
Old 11-06-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If everyone started doing it, the policy would quickly change. I suspect that it is one of those policies that is better for both parties for both good customer satisifcation and due to shipping and tax issues, but only as long as the cost of abuse is less than cost of implementing a tighter policy.
Old 11-06-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I looked at my set last night and there was a minor crease in the box. Any damage to any DVD or set I have kills me. I sent a very nice comment to Amazon and sure enough they are sending me a new set, charge free today!! I can't believe that. It is such a scam that you don't have to send anything back...why wouldn't everyone do this with everything from an overseas Amazon. I don't get it, but I sure am an extremely happy camper and can trade away the unopened set.
Because, believe it or not, some people are honest.
Old 11-06-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest that people should only request a replacement in the actual event of real damage. no need to ruin it for everyone just in case someone really does recieve a damaged item. I still haven't recieved mine unless the package was left and stolen from my porch yesterday and I would hate for them to tell me "tough luck" if I had to contact them about it just because people exploited the policy.
Old 11-06-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because most of us don't try to "scam" a great store that offers such good customer service. Customers who prey on good customer service to scam things out of that store purely for their benefit or profit are bottom feeders and should have their accounts cancelled.

Maybe amazon.co.uk has no problem in helping some of us out with defective orders because we rarely ask for new DVDs? I think I've had to ask for three replacement DVDs since I ordered from amazon.co.uk, and they were all legit requests. Each time was no problem. But I am sure the amount of money I had spent there on other things made up for it quite a bit.

Only if asses start to abuse the system will it ruin it for everyone, and your name is marked in our books now!
Old 11-06-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is such a scam that you don't have to send anything back...why wouldn't everyone do this with everything from an overseas Amazon. I don't get it, but I sure am an extremely happy camper and can trade away the unopened set.
Unbelievable. Well, I sure hope you can sleep well at night knowing that you "scammed" some company out of a DVD box set. I know I couldn't...
Old 11-06-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Maybe amazon.co.uk has no problem in helping some of us out with defective orders because we rarely ask for new DVDs? I think I've had to ask for three replacement DVDs since I ordered from amazon.co.uk, and they were all legit requests. Each time was no problem. But I am sure the amount of money I had spent there on other things made up for it quite a bit.
They probably figure the good word of mouth will bring more overseas customers. One time, I was sent the wrong item and they were very quick to apologize, offer me a refund and resend the item I ordered.

But they monitor such action, and considering Amazon, the penalties for fraud would be severe. I read on a British DVD forum a member who lost their account and was brought up on charges (I believe it was settled out of court) for saying "merchandise had been lost in the post" several times, all the while, they were selling and trading copies of the item on several European DVD forums.
Old 11-07-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe that. It is such a scam that you don't have to send anything back...why wouldn't everyone do this with everything from an overseas Amazon. I don't get it, but I sure am an extremely happy camper and can trade away the unopened set.
It's only a scam if you are doing it to purposely get a new set.

That said, I'm really regretting praising Amazon UK's CS now, if this is what it's going to lead to. It just takes a few greedy people for them to stop doing it.
Old 11-07-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine on Friday from Amazon.co.uk after having received shipment confirmation on Monday. No damage whatsoever. Great set. My only complaint is that the sphere can easily be scuffed. Mine already has some scuff marks, and I don't know if it was from handling it myself or from the inside of the box. Oh, and it would've been nice to have a drill as another snap on piece. But it sure is nice to finally see a great transfer of Phantasm II after having seen the first crappy UK release and the expensive German one.
Old 11-07-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Put in an order for this from cd-wow over the weekend. Hoping it survives shipping.
Old 11-07-05, 10:58 AM

Because most of us don't try to "scam" a great store that offers such good customer service. Customers who prey on good customer service to scam things out of that store purely for their benefit or profit are bottom feeders and should have their accounts cancelled.

Only if asses start to abuse the system will it ruin it for everyone, and your name is marked in our books now!
don't be such a condescending jerk. i had a legitimate gripe and i took it up with them...that's all.
i am merely stating that doing this will bring out the dishonest and doesn't seem like good business sense because of such a poilcy.
stop making it out like you are holier than though!
Old 11-07-05, 11:38 AM

got my set today (only 5 days after it was shipped out, in mint condition and it looks so freggin' cool!! and all movies in DTS...is that right? the previous releases in R1 weren't DTS, were they?

Way to go, Scott. If you hadn't heard here about amazon uk's great customer service, you'd have been well satisfied with your "mint condition" set. Now you've cost amazon a second set and international shipping for a "minor crease in the box."

Old 11-07-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
...stop making it out like you are holier than though!
I think you mean "thou."
Old 11-07-05, 12:12 PM

Assuming that Scott was honest in his email to Amazon, and Amazon decided that it's not ridiculous to send a replacement for just a "minor crease", then what's the problem?
Old 11-07-05, 02:05 PM

Hey guys. Just got my sphere in the mail!

This is my first overseas purchase. I didn't know that CDWow shipped from Hong Kong...

As warned by several of you, their packaging is rather thin and even the tape used to seal the box isn't the strongest. Got a small crease on the outer box but I'm not going to make a deal about it.

This set is definetly pretty cool and will complement my Phantasm factory-autographed LD box set!
Old 11-07-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

still didn't get mine.
Old 11-07-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Way to go, Scott. If you hadn't heard here about amazon uk's great customer service, you'd have been well satisfied with your "mint condition" set. Now you've cost amazon a second set and international shipping for a "minor crease in the box."

Ditto.
Old 11-07-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

don't be such a condescending jerk. i had a legitimate gripe and i took it up with them...that's all.
i am merely stating that doing this will bring out the dishonest and doesn't seem like good business sense because of such a poilcy.
stop making it out like you are holier than though!

And everybody else has been rallying around your comments, so you chose to signal me out for what reason?

And, no, I've never abused the amazon.co.uk system. If I am ordering somethign of this nature throught the mail, and the case isn't 100% perfect, that's something I understand. If it was crushed or severely damanged, that would be something to contact them about. A minor crease? Well, I have been known to be a tad anal about my DVD purchases instore before, but that's instore, where I can make the decision to not buy the DVD or pick out a different copy, if available. The only time I have contacted amazon.co.uk's customer service for an exchange is when I get a disc in the mail that is loose and scratched inside the case. And EACH TIME I offer to mail it back to them. They decline the offer each time.

And I guess if you did indeed tell them the problem you had with the set was just a minor crease and you offered to send it back to them, and that's what they decided to do for you, then my reaction and all of our reactions were in the wrong.
Old 11-08-05, 12:13 PM

And everybody else has been rallying around your comments, so you chose to signal me out for what reason?

And, no, I've never abused the amazon.co.uk system. If I am ordering somethign of this nature throught the mail, and the case isn't 100% perfect, that's something I understand. If it was crushed or severely damanged, that would be something to contact them about. A minor crease? Well, I have been known to be a tad anal about my DVD purchases instore before, but that's instore, where I can make the decision to not buy the DVD or pick out a different copy, if available. The only time I have contacted amazon.co.uk's customer service for an exchange is when I get a disc in the mail that is loose and scratched inside the case. And EACH TIME I offer to mail it back to them. They decline the offer each time.

And I guess if you did indeed tell them the problem you had with the set was just a minor crease and you offered to send it back to them, and that's what they decided to do for you, then my reaction and all of our reactions were in the wrong.
ok...misunderstanding accepted. believe me i never would have done this just to get another set (my whole scam comment was that is just didn't seem like good business sense to not send it back like every other retailer ever and that people would and have taken advantage and not in a good way, perhaps just from seeing this thread).

god honest, i saw the box in a different light later that night and a welt was visible on the top, i tried to pop it back to normal, but we all know that doesn't work. i am real anal about all my dvd's even the crap ones...i want to display this thing and it was so blatant. was it damaged beyond recognition...not in the least. could i have lived with it...probably, but i took measures to maybe not have to live with it. all i said to amazon was i want to send it back..i even went through the steps and got a RA # and mailing label through their returns links. but they sent a note back saying i didin't have to do all that and thus the story ends with another set. i'm not even selling the other one...just trade, so i am not profitting really. just getting an exchange, except not through amazon is all.

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-08-05 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn! we 'Brits' are just too nice lol - i've received scratched discs from Amazon (US) and had to return them across 'the pond' within 30 days or else i was going to be charged ...guess in this instance with the set being more prone to damage than most, i guess, and retailing more than your average dvd, then Amazon's CS is going beyond their already high standard etc.
Old 11-08-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

all i said to amazon was i want to send it back..i even went through the steps and got a RA # and mailing label through their returns links. but they sent a note back saying i didin't have to do all that and thus the story ends with another set. i'm not even selling the other one...just trade, so i am not profitting really. just getting an exchange, except not through amazon is all.
But by this it sounds like you weren't all that honest as to the extent of
the damage. And how exactly is it an exchange that you're not profitting
from if you're able to retain a copy of the originally purchased item (as in
you're getting something else in addition to a Phantasm box). You're not
exactly breaking even here.

Just noticed this in a thread on the trade forum where you're offering up
a Phantasm Sphere box set, "still entertaining trades for this great, mint
set..." Hmmm...

Last edited by Brooklyn; 11-08-05 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
god honest, i saw the box in a different light later that night and a welt was visible on the top, i tried to pop it back to normal, but we all know that doesn't work. i am real anal about all my dvd's even the crap ones...i want to display this thing and it was so blatant. was it damaged beyond recognition...not in the least. could i have lived with it...probably, but i took measures to maybe not have to live with it. all i said to amazon was i want to send it back..i even went through the steps and got a RA # and mailing label through their returns links. but they sent a note back saying i didin't have to do all that and thus the story ends with another set. i'm not even selling the other one...just trade, so i am not profitting really. just getting an exchange, except not through amazon is all.
BTW, is the one you're trying to trade for multiple OOP titles in the Trade Forum?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444203

If so, then you should consider being more honest regarding its condition in your description.

Seriously though, I can't see how you can honest say that you're "not really profitting" from the extra copy, when you're obviously seeking OOP/rare titles for a free and "damaged" set. IMHO, of course.

Last edited by clappj; 11-08-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 04:27 PM

yes, it is there. the reason i didn't mention bc i wasn't sure if i will just keep the damaged one or trade away the new one, prob the latter if a good trade is offered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.