Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

US movies with foreign subtitles

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get regular movies in America with extra subtitles. My girlfriend is Japanese and therefore prefers to have Japanese subtitles on while watching a movie. Most movies in America seem to have spanish and maybe french subtitles. Does anyone know where to get movies with Japanese subtitles? Is region 2 films from Japan the only way to get them? Thanks.
Old 06-19-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by phikapdilbert
Does anyone know where to get movies with Japanese subtitles? .
Japan....

Pro-B
Old 06-19-05, 09:55 PM

Kill Bill 1 & 2
Old 06-19-05, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

Yes...from Japan. You might try www.amazon.co.jp
However, be warned I used to live in Japan and most DVDs as far as prices are concerned are a rip off usually in the 30-40$ range and that's in the country were DVDs were invented
Although prices for catalog titles can be found in the 1500Yen rage which is around 15$.
Old 06-20-05, 09:46 AM

Depending on what you're interested in, you might also check out some Columbia's older R1 releases (and maybe some of Sony's more recent ones). I seem to remember that "big" Columbia releases (like Lawrence of Arabia) had multiple optional subtitles. And I think Japanese was one of the options on a couple of titles. Amazon sometimes lists them all.
Old 06-20-05, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

I doubt many R1 carry Japanese subtitle... same goes for EUR R2.

On r3 it is not too unusual to have Japanese subtitle on japanese anime or japanese movie... I don't remember have seen any western movie with Japanese subtitle though

I guess you have to go with the JPN R2 in you really need those subtitle... very pricy option though.

BTW I wish I had a japanese girlfriend, would make learning japanese so much easier
Old 06-23-05, 10:11 AM

I guess that's the only way to go about it. I used to live in Japan as well and almost all the Japanese dvds had english subtitles available, so I was just wondering. I guess I'll order them from Japan. Any recommendations on a DVD player? Should I have my girlfriend bring one from Japan or get a multi-region one on-line?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-05, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

Make her bring one from Japan. If she goes to Akihabara basically all the duty free shops cary region free players. They have all the brand names as well so you can go with a basic model all the way to the high end stuff. I got my player there and no regrets.
Old 06-23-05, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

phikapdilbert> Anime dvd and dorama DVD hardly ever carry english subtitle ! I don't know for the rest although I really doubt most Japanese movie to carry english sub too
Old 06-24-05, 01:32 AM

Hey, phikapdilbert, you've got email...