Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region 4: Dune - Collector's Edition: Limited Tin Box (DTS - 3 Disc Set)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region 4: Dune - Collector's Edition: Limited Tin Box (DTS - 3 Disc Set)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered the French edition on Friday and it shipped on Saturday (Amazon.fr). Looks like if everything goes according to plan, I'll be watching this by the weekend.
Old 07-18-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by BrunnenMatt
[email protected]

Just tell them that disc 1 of 'Dune' has a faulty DTS track and include your Postal address and somebody will get back to you.
Indeed, they responded quickly and are already sending me a replacement. Great customer service, I'll give them that.
Old 07-18-05, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Indeed, they responded quickly and are already sending me a replacement. Great customer service, I'll give them that.
Mine left on a Friday, had it Monday afternoon. I have also got the French Ultimate edition on order, being held up by another 2 DVD's.

Have not had a chance to check out the DTS on the replacement disc yet.

...BMatt
Old 07-20-05, 01:48 AM

Just listen to the DTS track on the replacement DVD and the DD 2.0 Surround track sounded hundred times better. The volume on the DTS is soft and is inferior to the two Dolby tracks, I finish the movie with the DD 5.1 track.

I tested the scene where the worm attacks Paul and his mother in the desert.

Highly recommend importing the France DVD instead of the lousy Australian track for DTS.

Sorry for the bad news,

...BMatt

Last edited by BrunnenMatt; 07-20-05 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrunnenMatt
The volume on the DTS is soft and is inferior to the two Dolby tracks
You sure it's not just a volume discrepency? DTS is often set at a different volume than Dolby (though usually louder). Once you compensated for that, was it still inferior?
Old 07-22-05, 03:10 AM

i've watch the french UE dvd yesterday
for the movie, in the audio menu, captions are announced as forced but i can manage to remove them with my remote for the beginning of the movie. since i were watching the movie with people which are not familiar with the Dune story and the english speaking, i have to put subtitles back so i just hope that we can still remove the subtitles for the whole length of the movie.
i've watch bonuses in french and completely forget to check if there's any english audio track
haven't watch the tv special though...
Old 07-22-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The subtitles are removable for both versions of the film, but the vast majority of the supplements are French audio only.
Old 07-22-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My ship date from AmazonFR. is July 26th. on back ordered supplies.
Old 07-24-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the video transfer on the French disc really is as good as it's cracked up to be. The picture is bright, sharp, detailed, and vividly colorful, with no edge enhancement at all that I can see. I've never seen the movie looking this good. It's even a little better than the German disc, which was my previous favorite. This is much better than either the UK or Australian special editions.

The audio still suffers noticeably from PAL speedup and is generally inferior to the DD 5.1 track on the old Region 1 release, but is miles better than the screwed up English audio on the German release. Strangely, there is an audio glitch immediately after the opening credits. Where the voiceover is supposed to say "A secret report within the Guild" it instead hiccups and says "A siscrit report within the Guild". This is 100% repeatable every time the scene is played. Weird.

French subtitles are automatically prompted upon playback, and there is no option in the menu to turn them off, but they are easily disabled by the remote.
Old 07-25-05, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I watched it last night....looks great and sounds great!

It was an all new experience for me because the only other times that ive seen it was the old R1 version.

I love the packaging too!

Damn, now im in the mood to watch the mini-series....guess ill do that this week.
Old 07-25-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

order the french version now or wait for R1, decisions decisions!!!!! whoever is holding up hte R1 release needs to be hung up by their toes, AFTER they clear it to be released!!!
Old 07-28-05, 09:53 AM

Mine came in the mail today after having to remove The Last Emperor from my order.( several more weeks of waiting at minimum for this disc) I have only watched the opening where the Spice & Arakis & the Fremen (sp?) are described. WHile I found the image itself to be crystalline, I thought her monologue seemed a bit muffled. Did anyone else experience this or do I need a Q-Tip?
Old 07-28-05, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by buckee1
Mine came in the mail today after having to remove The Last Emperor from my order.( several more weeks of waiting at minimum for this disc) I have only watched the opening where the Spice & Arakis & the Fremen (sp?) are described. WHile I found the image itself to be crystalline, I thought her monologue seemed a bit muffled. Did anyone else experience this or do I need a Q-Tip?
Hmm...I didnt notice....was it DTS or Dolby?

Ill check it out again.
Old 07-28-05, 02:57 PM

DTS. I too will give it a more thorough listen.
Old 07-28-05, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Wow, the video transfer on the French disc really is as good as it's cracked up to be. The picture is bright, sharp, detailed, and vividly colorful, with no edge enhancement at all that I can see. I've never seen the movie looking this good. It's even a little better than the German disc, which was my previous favorite. This is much better than either the UK or Australian special editions.

The audio still suffers noticeably from PAL speedup and is generally inferior to the DD 5.1 track on the old Region 1 release, but is miles better than the screwed up English audio on the German release. Strangely, there is an audio glitch immediately after the opening credits. Where the voiceover is supposed to say "A secret report within the Guild" it instead hiccups and says "A siscrit report within the Guild". This is 100% repeatable every time the scene is played. Weird.

French subtitles are automatically prompted upon playback, and there is no option in the menu to turn them off, but they are easily disabled by the remote.

I got mine on Monday (after ordering Wednesday night!!) and looked through all the extras on disc 3. I am finding a lot of stuttering and skipping on the docs on disc 3. Is anyone else noticing this?
And Josh is absolutely correct on the image. It's great. I think the audio, both DD and DTS is still thin, but it is an improvement over past releases. The audio restoration doc really drives this home.
BTW, has anyone translated the French only docs?
I was going to order the Australian tin, but the one Australian place I found it seems to be out of stock. Any ideas where else to get it?
Old 07-28-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxthesilent
I am finding a lot of stuttering and skipping on the docs on disc 3. Is anyone else noticing this?
I had no problems like that on my Oppo player.
Old 07-28-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed no skipping on my Momitsu.
Old 07-28-05, 07:50 PM

Does anyone know what to call all the "flashing/flickering" of straight lines on R2 discs? I know it has something to do with my player's processing of the data but am unclear as to how to fix it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-28-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buckee, is your player converting PAL to NTSC? If so, it's basically dropping 96 lines of vertical resolution. This may account for why straight lines seem to flicker. Some players do this conversion better than others. What are you using, and what type of TV?
Old 07-29-05, 08:12 AM

I'm using a JVC XV-N50 player with a Samsung 61" DLP. And I am converting PAL to NTSC.
Old 07-29-05, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I noticed no skipping on my Momitsu.
Ditto on my mo too.
Old 08-18-05, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are you guys paying for the French disc at amazon france? My total is over 31 Euros which is about $38. Seems high. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-19-05, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by chente
How much are you guys paying for the French disc at amazon france? My total is over 31 Euros which is about $38. Seems high. Am I doing something wrong?
Mine was about the same price after shipping. Sucks, but was worth it.
Old 08-19-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
I'm using a JVC XV-N50 player with a Samsung 61" DLP. And I am converting PAL to NTSC.
Try playing around with the deinterlace modes on your player. My Toshiba 4900 misreads many PAL discs while in "AUTO" mode, causing problems that sound similar to yours. If I force select "FILM" mode while playing these discs, the picture snaps together properly (and when I force select "VIDEO" mode, I see that that's the same mode that "AUTO" is incorrectly defaulting to).
Old 08-19-05, 08:27 AM

Richard Malloy, i could kiss you! I changed the settings to "film" per your suggestion and it's made my viewing experience so much more pleasurable! Now to go and re-watch all my R2 PAL discs sans the shimmering! Thanks much Richard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.