Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region 4: Dune - Collector's Edition: Limited Tin Box (DTS - 3 Disc Set)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region 4: Dune - Collector's Edition: Limited Tin Box (DTS - 3 Disc Set)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Seashellz

whoah! - the colour and sharpness IS stunning.
Old 06-28-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Is the Australian set's picture quality as good as the French set, and which one has the better packaging?
Old 06-28-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks awesome! Does anyone have the French one yet?
Old 06-28-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered it! I'll check back once I get it.
Old 06-28-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to get the Australian edition, but wow, that French edition looks really nice! I'm torn.
Old 06-29-05, 03:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My fantasy is that the French cover is made of black felt with gold or silver embossed lettering.
But its prolly just a Digipak. Still-great design.
Old 06-29-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I want to get the Australian edition, but wow, that French edition looks really nice! I'm torn.
I am in the same boat.

I just don't know which one to get.
Old 06-29-05, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by fnordboy
I am in the same boat.

I just don't know which one to get.
That boat is getting mighty crowded. I, too, would like to know if the Australian version matches the French in screen quality, 'cause if it does, I am so getting it!
I could wait for the R1, but I doubt if it could be as good as the French. The only thing keeping me from ordering the R2 French set is the fact that the booklet which comes with the set is most probably not in English, and I don't speak French (because when you speak German, you don't need to speak French! )
Old 06-29-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Scott Connors
That boat is getting mighty crowded. I, too, would like to know if the Australian version matches the French in screen quality, 'cause if it does, I am so getting it!
I could wait for the R1, but I doubt if it could be as good as the French.
Could someone clarify this very point for me? It was my understanding that the R1 release -- unlike the French and all other releases -- was to include an anamorphic widescreen transfer of the "TV/Smithee" version with completed special effects (Fremen eyes are blue in all scenes, etc.). It seems that none of the other releases are doing anything but porting the same ol' TV/Smithee version.

Or are you folks suggesting that the French release of the theatrical/Lynch cut will be superior to the R1 release, should it ever actually happen?
Old 06-29-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think those "finishing the TV version" rumors for the R1 edition were ever confirmed. Did anyone make that claim other than The Digital Bits? Plus there's the obvious fact that the R1 edition has gone MIA, with no reason or new date. I'm not convinced it'll come out any time soon.
Old 06-29-05, 07:00 PM

HOLY CRAPOLA!
get a look at this series of screen caps from all 3 discs-it seems that the tv edition is 2:35 widescreen-and maybe 16:9

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/bigscrcap.php?id=12547&ordre=0
Old 06-29-05, 07:14 PM

Oops! my misteak! it IS 4:3-I was able to finally get the page translated;
but it is in DTS.

(cant seem to edit post)
Old 06-30-05, 12:50 AM

Oops! my misteak! it IS 4:3-I was able to finally get the page translated; but it is in DTS.
The Extended Edition (TV version) for both R2 CE France and R4 CE Australia are 4x3, The audio for both regions are DD2.0 Stereo.

The French TV version is split into 2 Parts with 'closing credits' for the first part and 'Intro' for part two (188mins - PAL) and the Australian version is in 1 part (177mins - PAL).

...BMatt
Old 06-30-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I don't think those "finishing the TV version" rumors for the R1 edition were ever confirmed. Did anyone make that claim other than The Digital Bits?
The Bits claimed at one point that Lynch was personally involved in "finishing" the TV version, perhaps even recutting it (hence the delay), but I'm not certain they were the only source for the notion that certain incomplete/unfinished elements would be redone by Universal (coloring Fremen eyes in all scenes, for instance).

However, the reporting that Universal was giving the TV/Smithee version an anamorphic transfer at 2.35:1 ratio was reported by several sites as being an official press announcement by Universal, such as this report at the DVD Times: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56005

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Dune Extended Edition for 10th May 2005 priced at $27.98 SRP. Dazzling special effects, unforgettable images and powerful performances highlight David Lynch’s stunning film version of Frank Herbert's classic science fiction epic about an intergalactic warrior’s messianic rise. Starring Kyle MacLachlan, José Ferrer, Max von Sydow, Oscar winner Linda Hunt and Sting, Dune is the ultimate adventure experience that goes beyond the imagination.

This one-disc (DVD18) set presents both the Extended Version (177mins) and Original Theatrical Version (137mins) together in collectable Metal Snap Case packaging. The set is "Loaded with bonus material including Documentaries, Deleted Scenes and Much More!" according to the promotional blurb. Full details below...

Extended Version (177mins)
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish subtitles

Original Theatrical Version (137mins)
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
French DD2.0 Stereo
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Raffaella De Laurentiis
Designing Dune
Special Effects
Models & Miniatures
Wardrobe Design
Photograph Gallery
Production Notes
Old 06-30-05, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
The Bits claimed at one point that Lynch was personally involved in "finishing" the TV version, perhaps even recutting it (hence the delay), but I'm not certain they were the only source for the notion that certain incomplete/unfinished elements would be redone by Universal (coloring Fremen eyes in all scenes, for instance).
"Finishing" the TV version, please. Sure the inclusion of the previousily deleted scenes is a great addition, but the way Universal recut the film is a travesty IMO. Most of the extreme violence is gone, the prologue, which Lynch has stated he has never liked, would be removed entirely if Lynch is to have any sort of involvement in tweaking the TV cut. Universal also kept on adding or optically flipping SFX shots to compensate for the footage they had edited out. These alterations were a defining reason why Lynch had his name removed from the TV edition.
Old 06-30-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with you, but all that is beside the point I'm making. Universal officially announced a R1 release with both the Lynch and Smithee versions in 2.35:1 / anamorphic widescreen transfers, which would obviously require an all-new transfer. None of the other releases have anything but the full-frame 4x3 Smithee versions, and presumably in the same sorry state as they've been broadcast on television. Hence, the statement I quoted above - "I could wait for the R1, but I doubt if it could be as good as the French" - is hopefully not true.
Old 06-30-05, 11:37 AM

I know this is all pretty speculative and presumptious, but since Universal did in fact announce both a standard and HiDef DVD editions of Dune (surely the new discs would look just as good, if not better) - why wouldn't the new version not look just as stunning as the French edition - I really wish Universal would make an official statement on all the rumours and give a specific reason why the Region 1 disc is delayed.
Old 06-30-05, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
... but since Universal did in fact announce both a standard and HiDef DVD editions of Dune ...
Was this on a Universal HD schedule or on a Universal Dune release?
Old 06-30-05, 11:48 AM

I saw it mentioned here:

HD DVD titles announced for 4th Q 05!
Old 06-30-05, 10:19 PM

We seem to have strayed a bit from our original thread. I have just two questions regarding the R4 and R2 editions, and would be most grateful if anyone possessing the information would be so kind as to share it with us all. They are:
1) Are the supplements on the French R2 edition (the documentary, the booklet, etc.) in French and English, or only in French? (I believe it has already been established that the French disc does not have forced subtitles.)
2) How does the picture quality of the Australian R4 edition compare to that of the French? I am referring to the theatrical version, since I have zero interest in the television version.
If anyone has a link to dvdbeaver, they might drop a hint in his ear about this being an excellent candidate for a comparison. (I tried, but my emails got bounced back.)
Thanks
Old 07-04-05, 02:39 AM
Cool New Member

1) Are the supplements on the French R2 edition (the documentary, the booklet, etc.) in French and English, or only in French? (I believe it has already been established that the French disc does not have forced subtitles.)
Most of the extras are in French, I have a breakdown of the extras at:
http://www.duneinfo.com/giedi_prime/dvd_ultimate/
The only extras in English are the teaser trailer, and a interview with Lynch (8:23), with optional French subtitles.
You are correct that the French subtitles are optional on both versions of the movie.
Unfortunately none of the French extras have subtitles of any sort.

2) How does the picture quality of the Australian R4 edition compare to that of the French?
My copy of the Australian DVD should be arriving soon, once they have corrected the error on the DTS track that affect the first batch of the Australian release. Once I have a copy I'll be happy to put up a link to page of comparision screen grabs if that is of interest to anyone?

Mark
Dune - Behind The Scenes
Collectors of Dune
Old 07-04-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

2) How does the picture quality of the Australian R4 edition compare to that of the French?...
Scott:

Not quite so sure where the Aussie disc ranks but the restoration work that the French did could be seen here....

http://www.dvdfr.com/news/news.php?id=2885

Voila....

Pro-B
Old 07-04-05, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone. I for one am grateful for any advise on which of these veditions to go for. I may just end up going for the French DVD if the Aussie disc isn't quite up to the same level; after all, all of the supplements in the world don't make up for inferior picture and sound (and DUNE so needs a DTS soundtrack!)
Old 07-05-05, 12:23 AM

I 'accidently' bid on and won the French version....so we shall see.
22 Euro+5 postage
Old 07-05-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I 'accidently' bid on and won the French version....so we shall see.
22 Euro+5 postage

Ok...this post had me laughing for the last 8-9min. "Accidentally" huh?...so you just clicked once to order, then confirm, and then...win the set. Yep...sounds like an accident to me....Or...more like a problem

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.