Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Security sticker observation/question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I just got a DVD shipment from Amazon.uk and noticed that none of the DVDs were wrapped in those annoying security stickers. But DVDs I get from Amazon (us) and Deep Discount DVD are covered with them. What gives? Are Americans more likely to steal? Are American companies more paranoid? Is it a consequence of the Homeland Security Act? I don't get it!

Old 04-30-05, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm ... pls. define "security sticker" . Do you mean these pesky RFID tags, mostly the huge variety with the al-foil antenna on the sticky side? Haven't ever seen any of those stuck on by the manufacturer in this corner of the world (some local shops do it, of course).
Old 04-30-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I mean those plastic stickers that are usually a strip on the top, bottom, and side of the case. They're usually white and clear, with the name of the movie typed on them. They overlap a bit on the front and back plastic covering of the case. They'll have a little tab saying "pull here to open", but it never works (at least not for me). If you're really "lucky", removing the sticker can damage packaging and/or cover art. I really hate dealing with them (and can't imagine the need for 3 of them on 1 DVD), but I do get a small feeling of triumph finally getting a DVD case open If you still don't know what I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky!
Old 04-30-05, 09:18 PM

I have DVDs from about 10 countries and only ones from USA or Canada have such things. Usually DVDs are just wrapped.

Some more expensive releases here in Finland have this kind of plastic shell with alarm device which they remove when paying for the DVD on shops but that's all.
Old 04-30-05, 09:21 PM

Americans just haven't learned the joys of region-free DVD shopping. I realize this every time I pay $20 for a DVD at Best Buy that takes me 15 minutes to get open. I'm more likely to get American movies from Korea or Hong Kong... even with $30 shipping it still feels like less of a hassle.