Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alexander 3-disc set, DTS, R3

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-18-05, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came across the listing of an Alexander 3-disc set on cd-wow

http://www12.cd-wow.com/detail_resul...uct_code=17962

Special features are still TBC

Movie runtime is stated as being 275(!) minutes....... possibly a typo(?), as the theatrical runtime was 175
Old 04-18-05, 07:21 PM

Pg13

What with this being labeled PG13. I saw this in the movie theater and if the blood does make it R, then surely Dawson's flopping tities sure does.
Old 04-20-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the link is dead now.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 04-20-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only Alexander I found was this:

http://www12.cd-wow.com/detail_resul...subcat=region2
Old 04-21-05, 07:42 AM

It seems they removed the listing shortly after I posted the link here.
Others who tried ordering this title have received an email from cd-wo stating that they can't get it in stock. I have ordered it, and have received no such email. So fingers crossed.....
Old 04-22-05, 02:46 PM

It's back...

http://www9.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=17962

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

Same running time though as all other versions...but does look nice. Now, if only they'd confirm what's supposed to be on the U.S. DVD...
Old 04-22-05, 06:53 PM

order placed, didn't want to chance this selling out with only 2000 issued.
Old 04-23-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That flick isn´t worth a cent. Let alone a Limited Edtion. Guess, they are trying to cover what was lost a the Box Office
Old 04-23-05, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
That flick isn´t worth a cent. Let alone a Limited Edtion. Guess, they are trying to cover what was lost a the Box Office
Right after I read these words, the clouds parted, angels sang, and the obvious truth of these words were revealed to me. Needless to say, I straight away cancelled my order.
Thank you, Dane. May the forces of all that is good and holy strengthen you as you drop into different threads to explain those who discuss dvd-releases that they should open their eyes and realize the error of their ways in looking forward to "worthless movies" ........

Old 04-23-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Thanks for the threadcrap, "Senior Member". Please read this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235044
Old 04-23-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, for the kind words.

I cannot believe they are making a Limited Edition out of a total failure such as this one. AVP and Phantom of the Opera are others that comes to mind. 9 out of 10 times the Limited Editions are always Box Offices failures. Why? Why? Why?

The only reason for doing this is trying to recover some of the lost ticket sales at the Box Office. Why on earth should we waste our money on this crap. Do they really think we are dumb enough to buy this junk just because they are limted to a certain amounts? Heck, no!

Can´t the studios understand that we really want to see some Awsome Limited Editions of the truely great films. That´s what I like to see. I´m sure I speak for many of us.

I suggest you buy 3 DVDs of some great movies instead of this Alexander The Great Movie Mess.

Last edited by Dane; 04-23-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you trying to get suspended?
Old 04-23-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Box Office Success does not mean it's a good movie. Conversely, just because a movie didn't meet box office expectations does not mean it's bad.

Stew
Old 04-23-05, 10:44 PM

I cannot believe they are making a Limited Edition out of a total failure such as this one. AVP and Phantom of the Opera are others that comes to mind. 9 out of 10 times the Limited Editions are always Box Offices failures.
Not only are you thread-crapping but you're also misinformed.

AVP was anything *BUT* a box-office failure. It raked in $80 million in the US and even more overseas. In fact, with a combined $171 million worldwide gross, it was one of the biggest financial success in both the "Alien" AND "Predator" franchises!

PHANTOM may not have been the smash the filmmakers wanted it to be, but it also made a more than respectable $153 million worldwide. Even in the U.S. it managed to make $50 million or thereabouts despite receiving mixed reviews and never being in the public radar.

ALEXANDER raked in $159 million internationally as well, which isn't anything to sneeze at either...and while I thought it was over-produced and not a "good" movie per se, I loved it as a gloriously over-the-top spectacle that I'm looking forward to enjoying in the deluxe LE DVD package coming out in R3.

But the bottom line is -- who cares how much it makes? The more LE DVDs out there the better.....and why crap on everyone else's parade? Those who enjoy ALEXANDER should be able to enjoy it without having to clear it with you first!
Old 04-24-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot believe they are making a Limited Edition out of a total failure such as this one. AVP and Phantom of the Opera are others that comes to mind. 9 out of 10 times the Limited Editions are always Box Offices failures. Why? Why? Why?

The only reason for doing this is trying to recover some of the lost ticket sales at the Box Office. Why on earth should we waste our money on this crap. Do they really think we are dumb enough to buy this junk just because they are limted to a certain amounts? Heck, no!

Can´t the studios understand that we really want to see some Awsome Limited Editions of the truely great films. That´s what I like to see. I´m sure I speak for many of us.

I suggest you buy 3 DVDs of some great movies instead of this Alexander The Great Movie Mess.
You didn't even see the movie, did you?

Of course not.
Old 04-24-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You didn't even see the movie, did you?
Of course, I did. Why else would I be disappointed they are making a Limited Edition.

Don´t forget that a movie has to make 3 times it´s budget to break even. This means that AVP, Phantom of the Opera and Alexander is far from being succesful regardless of the figures mentioned above.

But hey, I don´t mind what people use their hard earned money on. It just bothers me that most times it´s always the terrible film that gets issued as Limited Edtion. That´s all there is to it.
Old 04-24-05, 11:39 AM

Don´t forget that a movie has to make 3 times it´s budget to break even. This means that AVP, Phantom of the Opera and Alexander is far from being succesful regardless of the figures mentioned above.
From Box Office Mojo:

ALIEN VS PREDATOR
Production Budget: $60 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $35 million

Domestic Gross: $80,282,231
+ Overseas: $90,901,632
= Worldwide: $171,183,863

That doesn't even include DVD sales (which did very well) or other cash they'll generate from cable/TV etc.

I hardly think AVP hasn't "been successful". What mathematical formula do you use? Or do you think the studios are only in it to lose money? Must be why they're planning another one -- so they can lose more money!!
Old 04-24-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hardly think AVP hasn't "been successful". What mathematical formula do you use? Or do you think the studios are only in it to lose money? Must be why they're planning another one -- so they can lose more money!!
Love your humor.

Well, you forgot the marketing cost in each country around the world + each amount of reel print that are being made for every country.

Anyway, in the long run AVP might break even as it has to make roughly $300 million to do that. So it not quite there yet.
Old 04-24-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, in the long run AVP might break even as it has to make roughly $300 million to do that. So it not quite there yet.
What math are you using? First you say that the movie has to gross 3 times its budget to break even (which is a fallacy; the actual rule of thumb is twice the budget). Even by that standard, this $60 million movie would only have to gross $180 million to break even, which after DVD sales it already has. Where are you pulling $300 million out of?
Old 04-25-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The industry´s rule of thumb is 3 time total cost to break even. If I use your numbers here is the math.

SUB TOTAL: $95 million x 3
TOTAL: $ 285 million

This figure is without including foreign print & advertising + contingency.
But I´ll agree there´s a big difference beteween af commercial succes and a critical success.

Last edited by Dane; 04-25-05 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-25-05, 10:16 AM

The industry´s rule of thumb is 3 time total cost to break even. If I use your numbers here is the math.
Josh Z is right -- the rule of thumb is DOUBLE the budget, not triple.

If we went by your math you could count the number of major studio "big budget" successes by the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies and almost nothing else!

You also aren't even counting DVD sales, money from cable/TV syndication....which these days is a big piece of the pie when it's all said and done as well.
Old 04-25-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SUB TOTAL: $95 million x 3
TOTAL: $ 285 million
You're including the marketing costs as part of the number you're tripling. It's the production budget you're supposed to use as the base. The marketing costs are the reason why you need to make twice the budget to break even, not part of the calculation.

Why do you think they need to make that much money? You don't really think that the expense of striking some prints and delivering them to theaters costs three times as much as the production budget and marketing put together, do you? Of course not. And even if it did, why would the cost of distributing the same number of prints to the same number of theaters be greater for one movie (with a big budget) than another (with a smaller budget)?

What else are they spending money on? There's the production, there's distribution, and there's marketing. It's the marketing that's so expensive and the reason they need to recoup extra money to break even.

The real rule of thumb is that a movie has to make twice its production budget to go into the black. For AvP, that means it had to make $120 million. It did, and then some. It was a profitable movie. There will be a sequel.

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-25-05 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 07:32 PM

for those who have ordered this... how much was shipping to the us??

thanks... ben
Old 04-25-05, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by benfiltness
for those who have ordered this... how much was shipping to the us??

thanks... ben
CD-WOW has free world wide shipping. Yesasia has free to canada/usa on certain products too if I'm not mistaking.
Old 04-26-05, 09:43 AM

IS THE SPECIAL EDITION LIMITED EDITION dvd set from hong kong going to be the theatrical cut?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.