Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tremors set in Japan with kickass packaging!!!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual,we in R1 miss out again...........dammit,why can't we get anything as kickass looking as this??

http://www.horrorchannel.com/dread/m...rder=0&thold=0
Old 03-16-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks just like the german packaging.
Old 03-17-05, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it is the same as the German one but this one shows 4 seperate discs inside the mouth.

The German one has all 4 movies inside some cool packaging box.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...588688-7984825
Old 03-17-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Looks cool. Nice packaging for one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.
Old 03-17-05, 08:47 AM

Universal Germany's official site here

I spoke with Vivendi-Universal USA and they said the same box would be getting a release in the UK (with full backlit red lights) but the box would never be released in the US.

Why? Universal's CEO reckons the rubber used to form the monsters face is the same material that's used in the dildos that the Alabama Supreme Court has banned. Universal USA could therefore not sanction the sale as they could end up being charged for the illegal supply of "Genital stimulating devices" and far more seriously, the Federal charge of the cross-state supply of unlicensed weapons. The FBI comments: www.fbi.gov/alabamajudgement/warning.php

So if you're thinking about importing the Tremors rubber mask 3 DVD set you might expect a visit from Homeland Security.
Old 03-17-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
Why? Universal's CEO reckons the rubber used to form the monsters face is the same material that's used in the dildos that the Alabama Supreme Court has banned. Universal USA could therefore not sanction the sale as they could end up being charged for the illegal supply of "Genital stimulating devices" and far more seriously, the Federal charge of the cross-state supply of unlicensed weapons. The FBI comments: www.fbi.gov/alabamajudgement/warning.php

So if you're thinking about importing the Tremors rubber mask 3 DVD set you might expect a visit from Homeland Security.
See, why doesn't Entertainment Weekly cover shit like that? It's got sex, it's got humor, it's a great story!

Unbelievable.
Old 03-17-05, 03:05 PM

"Why? Universal's CEO reckons the rubber used to form the monsters face is the same material that's used in the dildos that the Alabama Supreme Court has banned. Universal USA could therefore not sanction the sale as they could end up being charged for the illegal supply of "Genital stimulating devices" and far more seriously, the Federal charge of the cross-state supply of unlicensed weapons. The FBI comments: www.fbi.gov/alabamajudgement/warning.php"

--> So does that mean I can bring one into Canada so I can stimulate my genitals? I'll post a review on how nice it felt. lol. This was one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while. I had no idea about that law. lol
Old 03-17-05, 03:14 PM

hmmm...
Old 03-17-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It might bite!
Old 03-17-05, 08:39 PM

Fuck Alabama and any states with ass-backwards laws based on sexual repression,living a sheltered cave-man mindset...and release the damn rubber graboid box set in the U.S dammit!!!

Really if that is why they would refuse too release a killer looking set in the U.S.,we really should be ashamed of ourselves. What kind of country do we live in?
Old 03-17-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Germans got this set because they're obviously more obsessed with Sandworms than we are. They got like four different Special Editions of Dune, including one that came with a Sandworm statuette.
Old 03-18-05, 12:52 AM

Daniel Windsor, what is your target audience? Gullible geeks, anti-Alabamians, hysterics, idiots or what? I'm curious since some readers might think the nonsense you posted is accurate. Since I'm a police detective in Alabama, I'll comment on what you wrote: There is a state law prohibiting the sale of adult toys. The device must be "designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs". That's from 13A-12-200.2. I doubt the CEO of Universal is the idiot you make him out to be. Unless he knows every law in every state, he probably has a team of lawyers to seek legal advice from. I don't think he was considering marketing the Tremors display primarily as a genital stimulating device. Perhaps you should consider a more authoritative site concerning legal opinions. MelonFarmers isn't known for their law review. If you have a problem with any rulings from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, go to Atlanta, Georgia to complain. That's not in Alabama. The Alabama law in question was passed in 1989 to cut down on sex toy shops. An individual can have all the dildos, vibrators and sex aids they want... you're just not supposed to sell them. The law is rarely enforced and only in cases where some genius decides to open a sex shop close to a school or in a family-oriented mall in a small town. People complain, police confiscate the unlawful merchandise and tell the owner not to selll that kind of stuff, owner decides the smart thing to do is get even more sex toys to sell and then they usually get arrested by the third time. It wastes a lot of police and court time/money for a misdemeanor that isn't going to get anything but a fine. By the time a case like that gets any publicity, the owner has had plenty of opportunities to be more discrete. The law does serve the purpose of allowing the local communities to decide what they find offensive rather than having it defined for them. It's not a state-wide standard.
So, to the people who can't quite recognize bullshit when you see it, most of Daniel Windsors post is bullshit. There is no FBI warning about Alabama and the CEO of Universal didn't have any plans to market a Tremors dildo. There will be a sandworm display for Tremors about the same time as Fox releases the Alien head in the U.S.
Old 03-18-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Frozen
Daniel Windsor, what is your target audience? Gullible geeks, anti-Alabamians, hysterics, idiots or what? I'm curious since some readers might think the nonsense you posted is accurate. Since I'm a police detective in Alabama, I'll comment on what you wrote: There is a state law prohibiting the sale of adult toys. The device must be "designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs". That's from 13A-12-200.2. I doubt the CEO of Universal is the idiot you make him out to be. Unless he knows every law in every state, he probably has a team of lawyers to seek legal advice from. I don't think he was considering marketing the Tremors display primarily as a genital stimulating device. Perhaps you should consider a more authoritative site concerning legal opinions. MelonFarmers isn't known for their law review. If you have a problem with any rulings from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, go to Atlanta, Georgia to complain. That's not in Alabama. The Alabama law in question was passed in 1989 to cut down on sex toy shops. An individual can have all the dildos, vibrators and sex aids they want... you're just not supposed to sell them. The law is rarely enforced and only in cases where some genius decides to open a sex shop close to a school or in a family-oriented mall in a small town. People complain, police confiscate the unlawful merchandise and tell the owner not to selll that kind of stuff, owner decides the smart thing to do is get even more sex toys to sell and then they usually get arrested by the third time. It wastes a lot of police and court time/money for a misdemeanor that isn't going to get anything but a fine. By the time a case like that gets any publicity, the owner has had plenty of opportunities to be more discrete. The law does serve the purpose of allowing the local communities to decide what they find offensive rather than having it defined for them. It's not a state-wide standard.
So, to the people who can't quite recognize bullshit when you see it, most of Daniel Windsors post is bullshit. There is no FBI warning about Alabama and the CEO of Universal didn't have any plans to market a Tremors dildo. There will be a sandworm display for Tremors about the same time as Fox releases the Alien head in the U.S.

This post floored me...and as ridiculous as Daniel's post is...there is much to think about. So...I agree with Julie Walker

Pro-b
Old 03-18-05, 10:59 AM

pro-bassoonist, since you're so easily floored, I won't tell you how many other states have laws against the sale of sex toys. That news may send you to the fainting couch with a case of the vapors. Here's how these things usually work: As ridiculous as Daniel's post is, some people want to believe it. I come along and say just how ridiculous Daniel's post is. People who believed it start to feel a bit silly that they've been had. Since I'm the one who pointed it out (made them feel silly), I expect to get attacked, but in a passive/aggressive way. People tend to want to save face and make it look like they never believed the nonsense. To those idiots who want to think the U.S. isn't getting a graboid package because of sex toy laws, I typed this response very slowly because you're probably not a fast reader. I expect you will be fooled many times in your life. Invest all your money in triangle schemes and avoid the pyramid-shaped ones.
Old 03-18-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Germans got this set because they're obviously more obsessed with Sandworms than we are. They got like four different Special Editions of Dune, including one that came with a Sandworm statuette.
Mine is #346 of 500.
Old 03-19-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

pro-bassoonist, since you're so easily floored, I won't tell you how many other states have laws against the sale of sex toys. That news may send you to the fainting couch with a case of the vapors. Here's how these things usually work: As ridiculous as Daniel's post is, some people want to believe it. I come along and say just how ridiculous Daniel's post is. People who believed it start to feel a bit silly that they've been had. Since I'm the one who pointed it out (made them feel silly), I expect to get attacked, but in a passive/aggressive way. People tend to want to save face and make it look like they never believed the nonsense. To those idiots who want to think the U.S. isn't getting a graboid package because of sex toy laws, I typed this response very slowly because you're probably not a fast reader. I expect you will be fooled many times in your life. Invest all your money in triangle schemes and avoid the pyramid-shaped ones.
Well, I am anything but naive and could easily tell where facts separate lies. Even then, considering the nature of Daniel's post...I believe that there is plenty to amuse people that happen to live in other parts of the country with different understandings about community standards/ "social" acceptance, etc.

Regardless, for those that need it i am sure your post will be of great assistance.

Have a great weekned,

Pro-B
Old 03-19-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

pro-bassoonist...I typed this response very slowly because you're probably not a fast reader.
Probably (depending on your definition)...though I happen to hold a Ph.D and believe that have done my fair share of reading. Still...you never know I might still be slow

Best wishes,
Pro-B
Old 03-19-05, 03:29 AM

Oh dear. How sad you sound. You may speak and read English but I obviously seem quite foreign to you.

The post was intended as a mix of humour, fact and a light covering of irony. You have certainly prised some of the fact but your anal-retentive nature has completely missed the rest.