Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this a "good" version of oldboy?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried to do some research and my head has been spinning due to all the versions out there. I came across this version that does not seem to match other covers that I have seen. Is this a legit version and a decent one to purchase? DVDBeaver.com pulled it's review (which I believe is the version) due to an erroneous color setting while testing, so I can't find any info on it.

Korean released LIMITED FINAL EDITION 2 DVD BOXSET

The seller has several available and I am interested in getting this title. Sorry if I've missed something about this version in the DVD Talk archives, as there's a lot to sift through.

Thanks,

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 03-15-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

That is a legit version. It is the 3rd release from Starmax after the initial one and the Ultimate Version.
Old 03-15-05, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dismas13579
That is a legit version. It is the 3rd release from Starmax after the initial one and the Ultimate Version.
How does it stack up "quality-wise" to the many others out there to choose from?

Sonic
Old 03-15-05, 09:35 PM
Cool New Member

Some say they like the transfer better than on the Ultimate Version. Something to do with the tinting of the film. Did you check out DVDbeaver.com? As for audio only the first release from Korea had DTS but the DD is supposed to be ok.
Old 03-15-05, 09:41 PM

Some say they like the transfer better than on the Ultimate Version. Something to do with the tinting of the film. Did you check out DVDbeaver.com? As for audio only the first release from Korea had DTS but the DD is supposed to be ok.
Yes, I did check out DVDBeaver.com (as I stated above) and they (DVDBeaver.com) pulled it's review (which I believe is this version) due to an erroneous color setting while testing, so I can't find any info on it.

This is the link to the review that was pulled.

This is the only readable review currently available on DVDBeaver & it's for the version prior to the UE (not the one I posted about).

Thanks for the posts thus far!

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 03-15-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 10:04 PM

As for audio only the first release from Korea had DTS but the DD is supposed to be ok.
The Edko HK release also has a DTS-ES track. I don't have either of the Korean releases to compare, but it's a very solid release all around, if you're willing to ignore the ugly cover art and the lack of subtitles on the only substantial extra (a behind-the-scenes featurette).
Old 03-16-05, 12:56 AM

I can't compare it to other dvd editions, but I am quit happy with this one. And having recently seen Oldboy at a theater, I'd say this dvd stacks up pretty well with that.
Old 03-16-05, 01:35 AM

I have it and its pretty good. (although for some odd reason it freezes at the beginning of every chapter on my Denon 2900, I think its something wrong with my copy) so I've been looking at the new R2 UK version (plus none of my extras are subbed). If you check dvdbeaver's master list you can still see the SE vs UE comparison. The picture of the FE edition is very similar to the UE, I actually took the same screenshots from my version and its the same if not quite as bright. I'm wondering if its the UE grabs that were off due to user settings. But from what I've seen, FE and UE share the same picture although the UE seems to be boosted a tad. Not sure which is truly the director's vision picture-wise, the SE has an odd tint to it that doesn't seem natural but you never know.

I originally was going after the SE for its DTS track but its OOP. I'd like to see a comparison between my R3 FE and the new R2 UK version. Big plus for the R2 is the extras are subtitled as well as a few letters that show up during the movie. Theres a recent review of the R2 version on dvdbeaver btw. Maybe I can get together with that guy and we can make that comparison and add it to the older one. And then if someone has the recent HK version we'd have all versions ! =)

Last edited by NestoJR; 03-16-05 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-16-05, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NestoJR
I'd like to see a comparison between my R3 FE and the new R2 UK version. Big plus for the R2 is the extras are subtitled as well as a few letters that show up during the movie. Theres a recent review of the R2 version on dvdbeaver btw. Maybe I can get together with that guy and we can make that comparison and add it to the older one. And then if someone has the recent HK version we'd have all versions ! =)
No comparisons yet, but here is a review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews10/oldboy_.htm

A friend of mine purchased a copy. I watched the film with him and the PAL speedup was noticeable to the point where it was distracting. If you have seen Oldboy several times, it might be a bother. In any case, i'm sure we will see an identical release in R1 eventually, so i'd hold out until then, if possible. Oldboy is getting a theatrical release on 3/25. I'd imagine the wait will not be long.
Old 03-17-05, 09:30 AM

"it freezes at the beginning of every chapter on my Denon 2900, I think its something wrong with my copy"

NestoJR, I had the somewhat the same problem on my Denon 2900 when I had it. I scanned through the UE and the layer change was really noticeable. The movie froze for a few seconds and then kept going.

Sonicflood, the DVDBeaver comparison looked at the three Korean releases, if I remember well. I personally made a comparison with the first two releases I had (I posted the caps I made in an older Oldboy thread when the UE came out) and the UE is clearly better. I doubt Starmax would've changed the picture given the work that went into making the UE. If you don't mind PAL, get the new Tartan release. It has many of the extras of the FE with English subs, plus a new director interview. The picture looks amazing as well.
Old 03-17-05, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the great info! I ended up ordering the Starmax version I originally posted above. I think I'll be pleased with it.

Sonic
Old 03-17-05, 12:27 PM

I own all of the OLDBOY dvd's, and I've seen it in the theatre. In my opinion (and I'm sure others' won't agree) is this is the best version;

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

I'm sure you can get it for $10 somewhere and $17 is too much for that pressing. The Ultimate Edition at first glance seems like the best picture, but they've changed it from the theatre. I used to watch the inital Starmax version but the HK version is similar and has better sound than the first release. It's funny because the HK version is the cheapest, but probobly from an overall perspective (minus the extra's) it's the best rounded disc. I have the final edition also, but it didn't do much for me other than a pretty cover (the one you're speaking on). Please keep in mind that I say this with the assumtion the extra's aren't as important as the movie and price.
Old 03-18-05, 12:10 PM

So which release is better from Starmax, the SE, or the final edition?
Old 03-20-05, 10:01 AM

I honestly like the fe a lot better than any of the other releases.. i havent seen the tartan release but i seen the hk the ue and the starmax initial release and fe seemed to have the best picture. As for sound i didn't notice a hge difference between the three
Old 03-20-05, 12:54 PM

I have it and its pretty good. (although for some odd reason it freezes at the beginning of every chapter on my Denon 2900, I think its something wrong with my copy)
I've got a Bravo D-1 with a DVI out, and I'm viewing the Tartan UK release and it's doing the same thing. It seems like the layer switch is at about the 1:00 mark, then it freezes up every couple minutes, but I haven't correlated it to the chapter breaks. It also seemed like it did it more after the initial layer change, then slows down. The picture seems dark on this release, but I don't have any of the others to compare it to yet. I'm getting the UE this week, so I'll compare them then.
Old 03-20-05, 03:22 PM

I have it and its pretty good. (although for some odd reason it freezes at the beginning of every chapter on my Denon 2900, I think its something wrong with my copy)
I believe that is the new (Sony?) copy protection system, which Oldboy UE and FE are among the first to use. From memory, it uses 'bad' or 'faulty' sectors to trip up DVD-ROM's and copying programs, but also affects a lot of standalone players (and of course it's been cracked for PC-copying from almost day one).
Old 03-21-05, 01:25 AM

i don't know... if I wasn't so lazy I would have exchanged it for another copy, I might still try but its been months. Heres exactly what it does, it finishes a chapter then immediately freezes. ON EVERY CHAPTER. Then when I hit the SKIP/NEXT button, it goes to the previous chapter... so I have to hit SKIP/NEXT twice, its very annoying and again, on every single chapter. its not the layer change, the 2900 has a seamless change, you will never see it, I know I haven't on my hundreds of discs. oh and if I try to rewind past a chapter break and then hit play, doesn't matter, it'll go straight to the next chapter... FRUSTRATING !!

then again the 2900 is known to be picky with certain discs. Except I have no problems with any R1 discs, only non-R1. Theres only been about 2 or 3 movies that I've had issues with, sections that just refused to play and the Oldboy FE is the only one to have this chapter freezing problem, again could be a bad disc. but heres the weird part... my first viewing of it was flawless.... since then problems... ??? very odd.

Last edited by NestoJR; 03-21-05 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-24-05, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

I'm obviously in the minority, because I much prefer the original Starmax SE release over the FE and UE. While I don't personally own the FE and UE, a friend of mine does and I was disappointed with both on my setup.

Just my $.0001 worth.
Old 03-26-05, 05:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
ok...so now i am interested in getting this.

which is the best version (picture and audio) and if extras which are subbed if any at all? and does any of the 3 Starmax versions, especially UE have subtitles on all extras? (post pics of best if can)

also, i've known the Tartan Asia Extreme titles to be of good ilk and seems the new UK edition would be the one to go with...anybody have it?

thanks for separating the honest truth from the confusion seemed to produce in this thread...

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-26-05 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
ok...so now i am interested in getting this.
What on Earth took you so long?

Seriously, though, considering you haven't seen the film (and, therefore, it can be assumed, PAL speedup won't be as noticeable) i'd go for the Tartan release. The subbed extras are juicy and the transfer is solid.
Old 03-26-05, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

Scott,
As far as the extras are concerned only the Tartan UK release is subbed in English. The video quality on the first Korean release is quite good. It also has a DTS soudtrack. I cannot compare it to the other releases but I imagine the picture quality is same or better as the initial starmax release.
Old 03-26-05, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil

Seriously, though, considering you haven't seen the film (and, therefore, it can be assumed, PAL speedup won't be as noticeable) i'd go for the Tartan release. The subbed extras are juicy and the transfer is solid.
ok thanks. i don't know if i would notice the speedup or not. the only one i played on PAL was "Shaun of the Dead" and while the movie was fine, like one of the extras i was watching (i think it was the home movies segment) Simon Pegg's voice was really funny and sounded like if you upped the speed on a LP, but that was like the only extra i noticed on, so not sure if that is it or what.

glad to know i am getting a good release and can enjoy all the extras. something about these Tartan releases strike me as excellent. i also have "Tale of Two Sisters" by them on the way.
and, i think this has DTS as well

i'll look forward to getting. so anyone else actually have this edition yet?

so the movie is real good, huh?

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-26-05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil

gerbil, so you do have this release and it is that good? and ALL the extras are subbed, correct?

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-26-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
gerbil, so you do have this release and it is that good? and ALL the extras are subbed, correct?
I don't own the Tartan release, but sat down with a friend to watch his copy. Yes, all the extras are subbed, including the commentaries. I have to admit, the PAL speedup was distracting, but i've seen the film multiple times and am perhaps hypersensitive. For what it's worth, my friend didn't seem to notice, even when I brought it up. The PQ is quite good, easily comparable to the Starmax releases. IMO, the one to get if you haven't seen the film.
Old 03-26-05, 09:02 PM
Cool New Member

so the movie is real good, huh?
It's far from any typical Hollywood movie. But I bet a lot of people agree with me when I say it kicks ass !

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.