Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2005: recommended region free DVD players & where to buy 'em [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

2005: recommended region free DVD players & where to buy 'em [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which region free DVD players allow you to skip FBI warnings, etc?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-14-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oppo firmware

FYI: the latest Oppo DV971H firmware was released today.

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h_support.html

This release of firmware addressed the following issues:

1. Fixed pixel cropping
2. Improved Y/C delays via DVI and component outputs
3. Corrected the mislabeled Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness control options. Added Saturation control as an option.
4. Corrected PAL 720p and 1080i output at 50Hz instead of 60Hz

This release added the following new features:

1. Supports multiple aspect ratios for DivX AVI files, including: 720x480, 720x576, 704x480 704x576, 352x240 and 352x288
2. Automatically closes the tray when pressing the POWER button on the player unit to power off
3. Enabled DTS decoding through analog connection in addition to digital connection
4. Zoom and Angle on-screen-displays are set to disappear after 5 seconds. The “Pause” is set to stay on screen to remind the user of the pause mode, based on the user input.
5. Adds more zoom options: 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 2.5x, and 3.5x, in addition to the original 2x, 3x, 4x, ½x, 1/3x & ¼x options. This allows letterbox to fill the screen with a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD.
6. Pressing the Backward key skips to the beginning of the chapter; pressing it again skips to the beginning of the previous chapter.
7. Adds Saturation control as an option.
8. Memorizes previous DVI setting in TV “Auto” mode in addition to in NTSC and Pal modes

This release changed the following default setting:

1. Changed the default setting of Subwoofer to 'off" on the Speaker Setup Page.
Old 04-14-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by pantala
FYI: the latest Oppo DV971H firmware was released today.

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h_support.html

This release of firmware addressed the following issues:

1. Fixed pixel cropping
2. Improved Y/C delays via DVI and component outputs
3. Corrected the mislabeled Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness control options. Added Saturation control as an option.
4. Corrected PAL 720p and 1080i output at 50Hz instead of 60Hz

This release added the following new features:

1. Supports multiple aspect ratios for DivX AVI files, including: 720x480, 720x576, 704x480 704x576, 352x240 and 352x288
2. Automatically closes the tray when pressing the POWER button on the player unit to power off
3. Enabled DTS decoding through analog connection in addition to digital connection
4. Zoom and Angle on-screen-displays are set to disappear after 5 seconds. The “Pause” is set to stay on screen to remind the user of the pause mode, based on the user input.
5. Adds more zoom options: 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 2.5x, and 3.5x, in addition to the original 2x, 3x, 4x, ½x, 1/3x & ¼x options. This allows letterbox to fill the screen with a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD.
6. Pressing the Backward key skips to the beginning of the chapter; pressing it again skips to the beginning of the previous chapter.
7. Adds Saturation control as an option.
8. Memorizes previous DVI setting in TV “Auto” mode in addition to in NTSC and Pal modes

This release changed the following default setting:

1. Changed the default setting of Subwoofer to 'off" on the Speaker Setup Page.
This sounds like just what I was waiting for! Now I just have to wait for a moment of weakness and place the order.

Does anyone know -- with this firmware update, what are the big issues (if any) remaining?
Old 04-14-05, 07:57 PM

Just want to say that based on my miserable experience with them, I would caution everyone against buying anything at 220-electronics.com.

I ordered a denon 2900 from them. They sent me the 2910 while still charging me the extra $100 difference between the models. When I called them, they tried to tell me that the 2910 was an upgraded version of the 2900.

I did manage to get a refund on the returned 2910, but lost out on shipping charges. Last I checked they removed the 2900 off their website.
Old 04-14-05, 09:43 PM

Which region free DVD players allow you to skip FBI warnings, etc?
The LG DVB418 will allow you to skip all the begining fluff and go straight to the movie. I've found out it can also remove forced subtitles (not embedded ones, of course).

It doesn't come region free out of the box, but all you do is download a file to a CD and pop it in the player once to make it region free for good.
Old 04-15-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
This sounds like just what I was waiting for! Now I just have to wait for a moment of weakness and place the order.

Does anyone know -- with this firmware update, what are the big issues (if any) remaining?
Anyone looking for information on the Oppo should visit this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...H&pagenumber=1

Here is a recent benchmark test using the latest firmware:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=122
Old 04-15-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Thanks for the link, pantala. I never heard of this player until today and those scores make it seem like a must have.
Old 04-16-05, 01:13 PM

Confirmed

The Oppo does not support 480i through component. This is quite bizzare, really. If it did, I'd quickly snap one up as a 2nd player.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0
Old 04-16-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, you mean it does not support 480p via component.
Old 04-18-05, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Actually, you mean it does not support 480p via component.
Yes, an important bit of info worth repeating.
Old 04-18-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, I was just clearing up the error.

As for the strange choice, I don't think it suddenly makes the player worthless. Especially not if you have a DVI input in your monitor. But it is worth mentioning, just the same.
Old 04-19-05, 03:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I was astounded when I saw the review-It only had one real flaw and that was to be addressing in a future firmware release;
a $200 player besting a $500-600 player?????
-----------
>>The Oppo does not support 480i through component.

WTF? does this mean I cannot use the component outs to my 27" SONY?

Last edited by Seashellz; 04-19-05 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sifu
The LG DVB418 will allow you to skip all the begining fluff and go straight to the movie. I've found out it can also remove forced subtitles (not embedded ones, of course).

It doesn't come region free out of the box, but all you do is download a file to a CD and pop it in the player once to make it region free for good.
Sifu (or anyone), do you have to do anything special to the DVB418 to have it skip all the beginning fluff? My Sampo does but I had to update the firmware.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-19-05, 12:55 PM

Sifu (or anyone), do you have to do anything special to the DVB418 to have it skip all the beginning fluff?
It's an option in the normal menu called auto-play. All you have to do is select it and you are ready to go straight to the movie!
Old 04-19-05, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sifu
It's an option in the normal menu called auto-play. All you have to do is select it and you are ready to go straight to the movie!
Ah! Thanks, Sifu. Can I also assume that PAL->NTSC conversion takes place automagically? I've got lots of PAL DVDs.

Steve
Old 04-20-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Seashellz
I was astounded when I saw the review-It only had one real flaw and that was to be addressing in a future firmware release;
a $200 player besting a $500-600 player?????
-----------
>>The Oppo does not support 480i through component.

WTF? does this mean I cannot use the component outs to my 27" SONY?
I does support 480i via component. What it doesn't do is support 480p via component. If you want to take advantage of the progressive scan capabilities of this player you have to hook it up via DVI or use a DVT to HDMI cable/converter.
Old 04-20-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Oppo since February, and it's an astounding player. I've posted that in other threads in this forum. The latest firmware release makes it one of the best on the market, and definitely the best at that price point.

Secrets of Home Theater's shootout of it with the latest firmware is not only a rave review, they now place it as the 2nd best player they've ever reviewed. #1 is a $3500 Denon 5910, #3 is the Denon 3910.

Also keep in mind that the review is for the DVI output only. That's what this player is all about. If you're using component the PQ is not nearly as good, and as already mentioned it won't even do PS off of component. Unless you're using DVI there's no reason to buy this player.

If you don't have one already, good luck finding one for now. When that shootout came out, Oppo and Extremephono (the only other retailer that sells them) sold out quickly. From what I've been told by Oppo there are none available until the next shipment comes off the boat. I'd definitely still put in an order immediately, there's a shipment coming in on 4/30 and 5/15, both Oppo and Extremephono are taking preorders for the players, so there's a good chance those will already be presold when they come in.

Let's see, where did the Momitsu V-880 score on the shootout.... a 69.

Last edited by renaldow; 04-20-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 11:49 AM

Ah! Thanks, Sifu. Can I also assume that PAL->NTSC conversion takes place automagically? I've got lots of PAL DVDs.
Yes, the conversion is automatic.

Reading about the Oppo though, it sounds like a great player! Does anyone know if it includes features like removing forced subtitles and auto-play (takes you right to the movie)?
Old 04-20-05, 03:31 PM

Has anyone compared the PAL to NTSC conversion of the Oppo to the Toshiba SD-4900?
Old 04-20-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
.If you don't have one already, good luck finding one for now. When that shootout came out, Oppo and Extremephono (the only other retailer that sells them) sold out quickly. From what I've been told by Oppo there are none available until the next shipment comes off the boat. I'd definitely still put in an order immediately, there's a shipment coming in on 4/30 and 5/15, both Oppo and Extremephono are taking preorders for the players, so there's a good chance those will already be presold when they come in.
I broke down and ordered an Oppo last Friday -- but have yet receive message from them (except the automatic "receipt of payment" e-mail). Maybe this explains the lack of response.
Old 04-20-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeff L
Has anyone compared the PAL to NTSC conversion of the Oppo to the Toshiba SD-4900?
My previous player was a Toshiba SD-3900, which should have the same PAL/NTSC conversion as the 4900. The players just had some different features.

The short answer: Better, if that's possible. The Toshiba had the best I'd seen, but you could still tell that there was a conversion. With the Oppo, you can't for the most part. Regardless, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

As an aside, if you've got a digital TV (which you should if you're using the DVI port) you may want to investigate the TV's ability to display a PAL signal. Many digital TV's do PAL or NTSC, although the manual won't necessarily say it. Sometimes the service menu for the TV has a switch for it, or it just does it automatically.

My plasma accepts either on the fly, so I normally output movies in whatever their native format is. No more PAL speedup!
Old 04-20-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
I broke down and ordered an Oppo last Friday -- but have yet receive message from them (except the automatic "receipt of payment" e-mail). Maybe this explains the lack of response.
Probably. There's also a bit of a delay because Oppo and Extremephono are upgrading the firmware on the players before they send them out to make sure customers get the latest. So, it could just be slowed down because of that.

Did you order it from Oppo or Extremephono? Send an email to whoever and they'll let you know. Lots of people on other forums have been doing that to find out, and both places are more than glad to investigate it.
Old 04-21-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HKflix.com sells the Oppo now, although unknown which firmware. They claim they're in stock, too. If it's an older firmware it's an easy enough download/upgrade from the Oppo website.
Old 04-22-05, 08:46 AM

Hey guys,

I just ordered an LG DVB-418. Wanted it for the many features and the Dual Layer capability.

I was also going to order an Oppo which seems like a fantastic player until I read on HKFlix that it won't play Dual Layer. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-22-05, 11:26 AM

Well I'm not up on what is new. But I went into this a few years back and went for the Malata 520 over the 996 - mainly because of the reported overheating problems with the 996. I have thrown everything at the Malata 520 and it has been flawless with every feature I have ever needed and some I don't really need but play with sometimes. No mods required - take it out of the box and go.

The only feature I would like that the Malata doesn't have is a lighted remote. But, a small attached flashlight works OK.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.