Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantasm 2 Ebay sale - what do you think ?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Is this legit and if so where to buy.

Also, what about the sellers other *RARE* dvd's?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-25-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've never heard of this, but it seems pretty sweet. Looks like it is legit and out of Germany. exploitedcinema has it listed as out of stock, but to have more by March 8th (and it's much cheaper than what the dude on ebay is selling it for):
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=4040

It's a shame that it has 5.1 audio in German only. I wonder if all the extra footage is dubbed in German. If that PhantasMania convention footage is from the one in Austin, Texas back in 2000, then I'll be on the DVD taking a scoop of ice cream from Reggie Banister!

Anyone else know any place to get it cheaper and that might have it in stock?

BTW, the rest of that guy's stuff on ebay seems to be legit, just from different regions of the world.

Last edited by dullboy; 02-25-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Allright, did some more research and check this out. Folks posting up at the Phantam's End website had some news from the Anchor Bay UK forums that said this:

"It (the digipack) is 100% legal. Many German companies, in particular Dragon and Marketingfilm, appear to have the ability to secure releases for films UK and US companies appear unable or unwilling to put out. Must be something to do with rights being easier to obtain, or not being willing to fall back on the “insufficient demand” argument.

"This release is from Marketingfilm, who have put out decent versions of quite a few otherwise unobtainable “wish list” movies (including Stepfather 3 and Sergio Martino’s Island of the Fishmen).

"I’m still very tempted to buy it but continue to resist in the belief that AB’s release will be far better, even if it is a year or three away."

Then, someone who actually bought it had this to say:

First off, it's in PAL format, so don't buy unless you have a compatible player.

The movie itself is a decent transfer, although it seems a bit dark. Audio has 2 German tracks and one English.

The bonus features:
Behind the scenes: shot on video, most of the time out of focus, but shows how some of the spfx were done, rehearsals, etc. Definitely worth a watch.

Coverages of Phantasmania and Fangoria cons are a good watch as well and the video is a little better than that of the behind the scenes above.

Haven't watched the entire work print yet. Not sure if I will. Quality is pretty bad and so far I haven't seen much difference from the finished movie.

Galleries feature mostly cover art from various releases of Phantasm II and also some still shots from the film.
All in all, I was pleased with this purchase. The bonus features were pretty good, but I was really only interested in having Phantasm II on DVD.

If you'd like to read the whole thread, here is the link:
http://s4.invisionfree.com/phantasmf...?showtopic=465
I'm gonna put an order in a exploitedcinema myself. Sounds yummy.

Last edited by dullboy; 02-25-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-01-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, I finally got this in from xploitedcinema. The image quality seems to be the same as the UK disc (which isn't all that great), only matted to 1.85:1. The 2.0 English Dolby track is fine, and in fact better sounding than the 5.1 German dub, which sounds muffled and compressed. All the extras from that UK disc are ported over here. I haven't gone through the whole two hours of the "on the set" footage, but the quality of video is watchable and seems quite interesting. On the first disc, there is also a nice image gallery of posters and video box art that includes the 2 US VHS releases, the laserdisc, the UK DVD, and oddly enough, what seems to be a bootleg DVD cover. On the second disc, the workprint is in very poor shape (didn't go through it all). The footage from the PhantasMania event is in watchable form, and I was thrown back five years watching myself up on stage being served ice cream from Reggie Bannister.

The packaging is rather flimsy. Both of the hubs on the holders broke and the discs now don't have anywhere to stay secure. The outer slipcase has the same artwork as the inside digipak, but only darker for some reason, looking kinda like a bad laser scan copy.