Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lukas Moodysson (3 DVD boxset)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Lukas Moodysson (3 DVD boxset)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Hole....is anamorphic....

http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...id=42993&&ref=

Pro-B
Old 04-28-05, 01:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ken law replied to another email of mine confirming that the subtitles on their fucking amal disc will have removable, player-generated subtitles. he also said this about the swedish commentary...

Zak

The Swedish commentary was not offered too us by Memphis Films. There is certainly not an English commentary by Lukas (even though his English is excellent) but we would have made use of the Swedish version by adding English subtitles had we been offered it.

Thanks

Ken

Last edited by Cygnet74; 04-28-05 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 10:34 PM

Oh well, the pricing makes sense now. Its actually a 3 box set with an extra thrown in.
Old 04-29-05, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Second of all...this is a lame excuse to say the least. If you are going to put a boxset (which you want to sell, no??) you should have done a better job of securing a 16/9 master. No I do not understand "their position" and NO I will not be buying the boxset.
It doesn't sound like an excuse at all. It makes complete sense.

The email says quite clearly "The production company Memphis films never did a 16:9 anamorphic widescreen transfer." Whether it was released by other companies in other regions as anamorphic doesn't matter. They get the transfer from one company and that is the only way they can release it.

As for another question, just how extreme is HOLE? I've read a lot of reviews and, as much as I've loved his earlier films, I've been actually kind of afraid to see this one. Reviewers are afraid to even talk about some of the content.
Old 04-29-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by moviezzz
It doesn't sound like an excuse at all. It makes complete sense.

The email says quite clearly "The production company Memphis films never did a 16:9 anamorphic widescreen transfer." Whether it was released by other companies in other regions as anamorphic doesn't matter. They get the transfer from one company and that is the only way they can release it.
It makes anything but sense to me.

If the master is not in proper condition (read anamorphic) then they should have looked for alternative sources. In addition, it would take a lot of convincing in this time of technological advancement when everyone else is already talking about the next HD format that you can't strike a decent 16/9 transfer...it is what it is a ridiculous excuse. With a little bit more money and desire they could have borrowed the French master (just as Artificial Eye so often does with their films and looks after masters from MK2, Blaq Out, etc).

Last but not least as I already mentioned recently a lot of UK companies have been performing at a ridiculously low level....look at the recent releases of Take My Eyes and Kontroll for example....

To answer your other question...Hole is anything but extreme EXTREME cinema. Yes, the subject is difficult but so was Irreversible. A lot of critics believe that Moodysson went too far with this film I believe that he is one of the few directors that actually knows how to approach a subject of that nature wihtout actually being exploitative (and you will read different opinions on this one as well)

Regards,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-29-05 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 02:07 PM

That is terrible news, as there really hasn't been a decent english-friendly DVD of "Fucking Amal". I do hope "A Hole In My Heart" turns out to be a decent dvd, though. The UK distributors are usually not too bad for 16x9 releases I usually find, so I dunno why they'd use an excuse like that...
Old 04-29-05, 10:07 PM

I'm still tempted by the box set, but it might be best to order the Swedish AHIMH. The last thing I want is to find out ex post facto that the UK release is censored.
Old 04-30-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last thing I want is to find out ex post facto that the UK release is censored.
It isn't. Well, okay, I haven't seen it, but the BBFC passed it with no cuts and the running time is the same as the unedited theatrical version. The only way it could be censored is if the distributor submitted it to the BBFC with some sort of optical censorship (i.e. fogging or pixellation) already applied, which is very unlikely.

Last edited by Dan Average; 04-30-05 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-30-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Courtesy of dvdanswers:
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6573&n=1&burl=

METRODOME asnwers:

"We recently received a communication from Metrodome regarding their forthcoming release of the 4 Films by Lukas Moodysson boxed set. It appears that some fans of Show Me Love are less than enthusiastic about the film's proposed 4:3 transfer. Here is Metrodome's official line on the subject:

We have received quite a few missives from disgruntled DVD buyers about the May release of Lukas Moodysson's 4 Disc Box Set and would like to address the concerns and displeasure from the most honest viewpoint, free from conjecture and "back seat" DVD production that unfortunately fans the flames of discontent rather unfairly.

While the sentiments of those who have emailed us are understandable, it is an all too familiar chorus from consumers who, quite frankly, are not at all familiar with the processes of independent distribution - an arena which is sadly not as blessed with the unlimited ancillary funds of a major studio. I fully expect this reply may "not be good enough" for many who wrote in and while I apologise and echo their disappointment as a consumer that the "definitive" release of "Show Me Love" is not on the horizon, I also am all too aware of the logistical reasons that are not always obvious to the average consumers, reasons that impact greatly on these niche releases.

Quite simply, Memfis do not have a widescreen video master available. The digi beta was originally created for the VHS release by Momentum in 2001. Unfortunately, due to "Show Me Love"'s status as a smaller arthouse release, it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film, or - always the most desirable - create a band new widescreen transfer via telecine from the original negative.

We understand that completists are expecting the best possible releases of their desired product, but the reality is, that the business side of the equation takes precedent. It is a business after all. We were aware that many fans would not take kindly to this but we wanted the box set to come out in conjunction with the release of 'A Hole In My Heart' and we simply couldn't wait for the possibility that this may happen at some point, someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As an independent distributor we can only work with what we've been supplied. This may be undertaken in the future by Memfis themselves, but we wanted to make a true retrospective of Moodysson's work available that included his newest and his first pictures together for the first time.

We are often at the behest of the original production company or sales agent with regards to these kinds of releases, in this case, Memfis Films in Sweden who have generously supplied and sub-licensed us with a film to create a definitive retrospective of an important European talent, which is in a 4:3 Letterboxed transfer identical in ratio to the video release of 2001. It is not panned and scanned. In addition, as opposed to the current Region 1 edition, we have not used burnt in subtitles and have them as player generated. Memfis and Lukas Moodysson themselves are quite happy that we will have the best possible version of the film, from the materials supplied to us, available for the UK market.

For a UK market that is substantially smaller than the market for, say, Criterion or other major independents, the cost effectiveness must unfortunately be taken into account lest we lose money on "wish list" releases and risk not being able to release anything at all in the future. With the continued support and understanding of the DVD community, we will be able to prove that the vibrant sales of such perceived niche product are worth the initial investments by the companies involved."

Someone is clearly lying here...as from what I see above the version that Memphis sent these people is not widescreen (which also does not make sense as first the memo indicates that there was no widescreen master and later on points out that the print is not pan/scan). Frankly...since

quite frankly (consumers), are not at all familiar with the processes of independent distribution

....I wonder how the French got a widescreen 16/9 transfer. In addition there was also a Finnish disc-OOP-that is also 16/9.
I suppose Memphis is not the only company owning a master then....which leads me back to my original statement that with a bit more money and desire Metrodome could have come up with the proper transfer.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-30-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 02:10 PM

its funny to see the wording i used in my 3 or 4 emails to them pop up in this statement. all the talk of player generated subtitles, etc.

pro-b, i emailed metrodome about the french 16x9 transfer. ken law did not respond to that email, however. i've posted my comments about this and they appear directly under the article now.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 04-30-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 05:45 PM

By widescreen master they clearly mean anamorphic widescreen.

And at least there is no anamorphic disc in Finland, there have always been only one release and it's definitely not out of print (or in very low demand :P) since I can always find huge pile of those from local DVD-shop.

Does anyone here really have or have seen the French DVD and can confirm that it is actually anamorphic widescreen AND that it is really done by re-telecining from the film master and not by cropping and resizing the letterboxed digibeta to widescreen, method which have been used in some even larger scale releases.

If someone here can supply full size screenshots of the French DVD I would be really interested to see and compare to the Scandinavian DVD
Old 04-30-05, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Avenkeri
By widescreen master they clearly mean anamorphic widescreen.

And at least there is no anamorphic disc in Finland, there have always been only one release and it's definitely not out of print (or in very low demand :P) since I can always find huge pile of those from local DVD-shop.

Does anyone here really have or have seen the French DVD and can confirm that it is actually anamorphic widescreen AND that it is really done by re-telecining from the film master and not by cropping and resizing the letterboxed digibeta to widescreen, method which have been used in some even larger scale releases.

If someone here can supply full size screenshots of the French DVD I would be really interested to see and compare to the Scandinavian DVD
french screenshot

Old 04-30-05, 09:19 PM

Hmm, hard to do any quality comparison with that screenshot but it appearently is at least anamorphic.
Old 05-01-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Avenkeri

Not only have I seen the disc I owned the French disc. I bought the DVD through Cinestore. Not only the film but also the menu was 16/9. In 2004 I sold more than 100 non-R1 disc and Fucking Amal was among them. In fact if you visit DVDFR. where Cygnet74's screen shot is from you would find even more info indicating that the French (as usual) received a better version.

With this said there is only a slight difference in the image between the 16/9 and non-16/9 versions due to the well-known fact that Moodysson desired a grainy film look.

Now let me address your comment about the Finnish disc. Yes, there is a 16/9 version which was linked in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=amal

I was making much noise about a possible English friendly release back then (and even hoped that the UK will be the first to put one on the market...see thread).
The Finnish version (which at the time was much cheaper than the French disc was available through this Russian site...where I looked for the Bear's Kiss).
www.rushall.ru

I have no idea why the site does not load up now...but both the Bear's Kiss and Fucking Amal (Finnish disc) were sold there.

Cygnet74:
The French disc is indeed 16/9 and any claims that a pristine anamorphic version of Fucking Amal does not exist is...a LIE. You have done a great job posting the info over at DVDANSWERS and I am looking forward to get some answers from Metrodome...

Regards,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-01-05 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-01-05, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
...any claims that a pristine anamorphic version of Fucking Amal does not exist is...a LIE.
Exactly.

The UK distributor is plain lazy. Far FAR smaller distributors can cough up decent transfers. To say there's 'not one available' is nonsense. If they want 16:9 they could have gotten it.

They seem to forget that Criterion are so popular because they go that extra mile (usually). If they want high sales on their Moodysson boxset then it's common sense to make a set people want worldwide.

We have received quite a few missives from disgruntled DVD buyers about the May release of Lukas Moodysson's 4 Disc Box Set and would like to address the concerns and displeasure from the most honest viewpoint, free from conjecture and "back seat" DVD production that unfortunately fans the flames of discontent rather unfairly.

While the sentiments of those who have emailed us are understandable, it is an all too familiar chorus from consumers who, quite frankly, are not at all familiar with the processes of independent distribution - an arena which is sadly not as blessed with the unlimited ancillary funds of a major studio. I fully expect this reply may "not be good enough" for many who wrote in and while I apologise and echo their disappointment as a consumer that the "definitive" release of "Show Me Love" is not on the horizon, I also am all too aware of the logistical reasons that are not always obvious to the average consumers, reasons that impact greatly on these niche releases.

Quite simply, Memfis do not have a widescreen video master available. The digi beta was originally created for the VHS release by Momentum in 2001. Unfortunately, due to "Show Me Love"'s status as a smaller arthouse release, it was not cost effective to pay a substantial amount upfront to convert this in a 16x9 transfer and lose picture information which would have done a disservice to the film, or - always the most desirable - create a band new widescreen transfer via telecine from the original negative.

We understand that completists are expecting the best possible releases of their desired product, but the reality is, that the business side of the equation takes precedent. It is a business after all. We were aware that many fans would not take kindly to this but we wanted the box set to come out in conjunction with the release of 'A Hole In My Heart' and we simply couldn't wait for the possibility that this may happen at some point, someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As an independent distributor we can only work with what we've been supplied. This may be undertaken in the future by Memfis themselves, but we wanted to make a true retrospective of Moodysson's work available that included his newest and his first pictures together for the first time.

We are often at the behest of the original production company or sales agent with regards to these kinds of releases, in this case, Memfis Films in Sweden who have generously supplied and sub-licensed us with a film to create a definitive retrospective of an important European talent, which is in a 4:3 Letterboxed transfer identical in ratio to the video release of 2001. It is not panned and scanned. In addition, as opposed to the current Region 1 edition, we have not used burnt in subtitles and have them as player generated. Memfis and Lukas Moodysson themselves are quite happy that we will have the best possible version of the film, from the materials supplied to us, available for the UK market.

For a UK market that is substantially smaller than the market for, say, Criterion or other major independents, the cost effectiveness must unfortunately be taken into account lest we lose money on "wish list" releases and risk not being able to release anything at all in the future. With the continued support and understanding of the DVD community, we will be able to prove that the vibrant sales of such perceived niche product are worth the initial investments by the companies involved.

If only they'd spent as much time on obtaining a 16:9 transfer. If they looked around they would have see nthere was a market for an English subtitled 16:9 disc.

I suppose we must all remember this is a business. Funny how Anchor Bay and Criterion make money AND provide something special and Metrodome can't.

Still, I must applaud them for putting the box together and answering people's concerns (albeit with a slightly arrogant tone).
Old 05-01-05, 10:24 AM

I don't really understand the hostility toward Metrodome here. They don't have a choice here. They got the rights from Medusa, who supplied them with a transfer. They couldn't have gotten it from anyone else.

It is the same thing when Anchor Bay got non anamorphic transfers from Disney. People complained, but they didn't have any other choice. Those were the transfers they were given and they didn't have a choice.

If a French anamorphic transfer exists is pretty much irrelevant as Metrodome wasn't offered that one. They got what they were given, and they can't do anything about it.
Old 05-01-05, 12:51 PM

I don't really understand the hostility toward Metrodome here. They don't have a choice here. They got the rights from Medusa, who supplied them with a transfer. They couldn't have gotten it from anyone else.

It is the same thing when Anchor Bay got non anamorphic transfers from Disney. People complained, but they didn't have any other choice. Those were the transfers they were given and they didn't have a choice.

If a French anamorphic transfer exists is pretty much irrelevant as Metrodome wasn't offered that one. They got what they were given, and they can't do anything about it.
not true. they've licensed the home video rights from memfis. this doesn't lock them into which transfer they would master from. the reason they aren't doing it is either, (a) they didn't know 16x9 transfers already existed, or (b) they didn't want to spend more money or deal with the hassle of securing one from a third party.
Old 05-01-05, 01:51 PM

There is so much heat building up here and much of it is based on speculation and incomplete knowledge of what went on behind the scenes. Additionally, screenshots of the French transfer is one thing, but no one has stepped forward who has actually viewed that DVD. The bottom line is its all irrelevant at this point.

A request campaign should be directed straight to Sweden for an English subbed anamorphic release.
Old 05-01-05, 04:14 PM

I have seen and owned the French DVD and it's 16:9, confirmed by the DVDfr review and this scan.

Bottom line? If Metrodome wanted a 16:9 transfer they could have obtained one. If the price was a concern they should have increased the price of the set to reflect the added cost.

People pay extra for definitive or high quality transfers. Just ask Criterion.

So, instead of my buying the boxset (I already have an anamorphic Fucking Åmål (made from my own elements (ie the US disc cropped with Nero Digital)) and the excellent UK Together) I'll just rent A Hole in My Heart. Now, there can't be much profit in that for Metrodome.

However, it has to be said Fucking Åmål has more grain than Illinois or Hovis's UK HQ. It will always have that as that's how it's shot. So if you can live with the 4:3/widescreen image that boxset is worth it especially if you were intending to buy A Hole in My Heart.
Old 05-01-05, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
Bottom line? If Metrodome wanted a 16:9 transfer they could have obtained one.

If the price was a concern they should have increased the price of the set to reflect the added cost.
I totally agree with the 2nd part, but can you positively substantiate the first? Your statement implies absolutely no doubt. If you can, I'm with you all the way.
Old 05-02-05, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
not true. they've licensed the home video rights from memfis. this doesn't lock them into which transfer they would master from. the reason they aren't doing it is either, (a) they didn't know 16x9 transfers already existed, or (b) they didn't want to spend more money or deal with the hassle of securing one from a third party.
But again, Memfis is the only company that they legally can obtain the transfer from. They are the distributor for the film in their area. If they don't offer a 16x9, Metrodome can't get it from them.

They can't go to a third party. Video distribution doesn't work that way. That would make it a bootleg. They have to get it from the rights holder, which is Memfis.

And this isn't a case of not wanting to spend more money. They didn't get the elements to be able to make it 16x9.

Memfis is the only one to blame here. Not Metrodome.
Old 05-02-05, 12:37 PM

But again, Memfis is the only company that they legally can obtain the transfer from. They are the distributor for the film in their area. If they don't offer a 16x9, Metrodome can't get it from them.

They can't go to a third party. Video distribution doesn't work that way. That would make it a bootleg. They have to get it from the rights holder, which is Memfis.

And this isn't a case of not wanting to spend more money. They didn't get the elements to be able to make it 16x9.

with all due respect moviezzz, my first hand experience in the film industry has occasionally extended into home video distribution. it is not unheard of, and fairly common for small time distributers to acquire rights from one source and a master from another. for example, artifical eye has negotiated the use of a third party's master on several occasions.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 05-02-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 02:38 PM

So, you are saying a film company own film stock for every film they own the rights to and they have struck video transfers from those films and no local distributor anywhere in the world is allowed to use any other video transfer or elements other than rights' owner's video transfer?

Don't be silly.
Old 05-03-05, 05:28 AM

finally, a reply to my emails regarding the french master. the latest is disappointing...
I imagine this will be a 16:9 anamorphic conversion from the existing master. There is a 1.85:1 widescreen image presented in 4:3 on the existing master that Memphis Film have (and which we have). This is what many of the threads on DVD Answers don't seen to realise. Our DVD does present the film in it's original 1:85:1 widescreen image - none of the actual picture is lost but it is presented in a 4:3 format (as we have called it 4:3 Letterbox). What I believe the French have done is used this existing master to transfer out and convert to 16:9 anamorphic. This will mean the image resolution will be compromised and some of the image may well have been lost. Either this or they undertook a brand new telecine from a 35mm print at their own expense - which I would doubt. It looks like French DVD has been available for a number of years and if they had struck a brand new 16:9 anamophic master, I'm sure the film production company Memphis Films would be aware of it and would have told us that one was available. We thought about doing our own conversion but this would be a bit of a cheat so we decided to release with what we had, add in optional subtitles and include Lukas's film short film "Talk" which has not been seen before.

I hope this clears things up.

Best wishes

Ken
Ken Law
Marketing & Product Development Director
Metrodome Distribution
020 7153 4440
www.metrodomegroup.com

Last edited by Cygnet74; 05-03-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:47 PM

Good post, Cygnet74. Interesting that with all of the research and marketing that must go into a product, they would not have had the detailed info on all of this before hand. Seems like a haphazard approach.

...I hope this clears things up.

Best wishes

Ken
Ken Law
Marketing & Product Development Director
Metrodome Distribution
020 7153 4440
Actually it raises more questions. Is the French DVD a new telecine or not, and why does Metronome not know this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.