Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Underground (3dvd set)....relax, no subs!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only a quick note....

In addition to Life is a Miracle....TF1 is unleashing a 3dvd set of UNDERGROUND...(no subs)....

Regards,
Pro-B

ps
...and of course....no subs/ no R1 date for....

Old 02-10-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Underground with DTS!!...those French bastard dvd companies not having English subtitles, it's not fair! Most Region 1 DVDs have spanish and french audio/subtitles, how about giving the West back some love too?

The Region 1 Underground actually has a very active Dolby Surround audio - it sounds a lot better than some of the DD 5.1 DVDs Ive heard....It would be nice to have a taste of that DTS though!
Old 02-10-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, I would be more interested in the extras. There's a TON of extras from Cannes etc, and the R1 version has only a few min (with a semi drunk Kusturica). What is really sad is the fact that Life is a Miracle is not even considered for a R1 release.

As to the French companies....they simply treat their (French) films and world cinema with utmost respect (MK2, WILD SIDE, etc)...something I can not tell about our distribs.

The TF1 disc of UNDERGROUND will have forced French subs.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-10-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Underground with DTS!!...those French bastard dvd companies not having English subtitles, it's not fair! Most Region 1 DVDs have spanish and french audio/subtitles, how about giving the West back some love too?
...erm... those Spanish and French subtitles you refer to are not there for the French nor are they there for Spaniards - rather, they are there so the disc can be sold in Canada -which is an officially bilingual country, in case you didn't know (English and French)- and for the (many, many, many!) Spanish speaking people living in the USA (probably more Spanish speaking people in the USA than French speaking people in Canada)...

...and, anyway, many, many, many English language R1 DVDs do not have either French or Spanish (or even English!) subtitles (e.g. Criterion, image, Roan Group, independent distributors, and whatnot)...

Q.E.D.

. . . . . .
Old 02-12-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relax, dude.
Old 02-15-05, 03:54 PM

The fact Undergound might have forced subs is irrelevant as it's in a Slavic language. Forced subs are dead easy to remove anyway on most players.

I've seen the Region 0 USA and Region 0 Australia discs. Although the US disc has been very nicely restored I can't say I was happy with the framing. Compared to the Australian disc and my memory of seeing it at the cinema it looked liked somebody had been doing a bit of over-cropping.

Life is a Miracle

I'd like to see that. Time of The Gypsies is supposed to be getting a March/April release in France too.

The Australian Region 0 Black Cat White Cat has an impressive anamorphic transfer. DD2.0 and 5.0. the 2.0 sounds far better.

I think the real treat for me in the next few months will be the US releases of When Father Was Away on Business and Do you remember Dolly-Bell?. Here's hoping Koch Lorber aren't lazy bastards.

www.dhennin.com/kusturica
Old 02-16-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, Daniel Windsor,
The DD 5.1 (or 5.0) on the Australian dvd BLACK CAT WHITE CAT sounds awsome. How did the 2.0 sound better than the 5.1 (or 5.0) on your system???

And do you know if the US DVDs for When Father Was Away on Business and Do you remember Dolly-Bell are going to be anamorphic?
Old 02-16-05, 07:51 AM

Hey, Daniel Windsor,
The DD 5.1 (or 5.0) on the Australian dvd BLACK CAT WHITE CAT sounds awsome. How did the 2.0 sound better than the 5.1 (or 5.0) on your system???
I thought I heard a few blips in the 5.1 and I just had a preference to the flat sounding DD2.0 on this occasion.

And do you know if the US DVDs for When Father Was Away on Business and Do you remember Dolly-Bell are going to be anamorphic?
Donny Rumsfeld has said he'll nuke Koch Lorber's HQ if they are not anamorphic.

That's not true but it would be nice if it were

I definitely don't like the DVD artwork:

Old 02-08-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
FYI for those who do not require english subs, the 3 disc French Underground set is only 10.74 Euros (after VAT removal) at Mediadis (DVDZone2). That's only $12.82 USD
Old 02-08-06, 07:05 PM

Sure, the spanish and french versions are for the love of Spain and France, not to touch a global market in north America.
How about inventing RCE to stop imports of US DVDs ?
Old 02-08-06, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Actually, I would be more interested in the extras. There's a TON of extras from Cannes etc, and the R1 version has only a few min (with a semi drunk Kusturica).
Underground Disc 3:
Making of Shooting days (72min30s)
Interview d'Emir Kusturica (27min)
Bande-annonce
Lien Internet
+ a 48 pages booklet

As to the French companies....they simply treat their (French) films and world cinema with utmost respect (MK2, WILD SIDE, etc)...something I can not tell about our distribs.
That's the point, for few companies like MK2 or HK Video there are many which are not so involved in quality work for
foreign (non french) films.

The TF1 disc of UNDERGROUND will have forced French subs.
Disc 1 contains the french dubbed version and disc 2 the original audio (serbian) + french subs.
Old 02-08-06, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
FYI for those who do not require english subs, the 3 disc French Underground set is only 10.74 Euros (after VAT removal) at Mediadis (DVDZone2). That's only $12.82 USD
Something I don't understand is the releasing date, because in France this has been released in April 2005.
Old 02-08-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Tutut
Something I don't understand is the releasing date, because in France this has been released in April 2005.
To me that's common at Mediadis (Belgium). They always seem to get French releases months after their release in France. Worth waiting for me because cheaper + no customs charges.