Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Der Undergang / Untergand -(Germany)- March 17

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Der Undergang / Untergand -(Germany)- March 17

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Extras and coverwork for the 2DVD UK set:

* 'The Making Of Downfall' documentary (58 mins)
* Interviews with the filmmakers and members of the cast (55 mins)
* 'The Bunker': a virtual tour (13 mins)
* 'About Shooting': a behind the scenes look with audio commentary from director Oliver Hirschbiegel
* 'Shooting In Russia': a behind the scenes look with audio commentary from members of the production crew
* The historical figures and the actors who play them
* Biographies

Pro-b
i dont know about you guys but the UK edition is the winner for me.
Old 08-08-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I tried to compare the R1 and R2 (German Premium edition) versions as much as I could here. Hopefully people that are on the fence regarding which version is the best one to own (at this point) will find some answers...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17098

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-08-05, 03:25 PM

Thank Pro-B , have been looking forward to this review. Though you seem to slightly tilt towards the R2 version I probably will be getting the R1 ( DDD has it for 18.xx shipped) , the commentary track alone should satisfy me in the extras department .
Old 08-08-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
So the English commentary track on the R1 is not on the German R2?
Old 08-08-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
So the English commentary track on the R1 is not on the German R2?

Slop101...unless I am missing something there is no English commentary on my German disc. I spent the last 48 hours mostly comparing the audio/video quality between the two discs.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 08-08-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvdisoil
Thank Pro-B , have been looking forward to this review. Though you seem to slightly tilt towards the R2 version I probably will be getting the R1 ( DDD has it for 18.xx shipped) , the commentary track alone should satisfy me in the extras department .

I actually do for the resons I specified in the review...the overall presentation of the R2 set (design, massive non-subbed extras, DTS track, etc). But I also understand that this film has been treated VERY POORLY in the US. Looking at some of the comments in existing reviews I think that there were some uneasy people out there. Unless the market proves me wrong...I don't think that anyone limited by a R1 player can expect more (read a SE). That is precisely why I ignored the subtitles issue and lack of extras and went against my quality principles placing the disc in the Collector's series.

To be honest with you (and everyone else) interested in seeing Der Untergang this was THE BEST FOREIGN PRODUCTION that should have earned an Oscar last year....not Mar adentro aka The Sea Inside.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-08-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, this reminds me of a question I had some time back when I watched the German DVD. On the German DVD, at the very start of the film they show the older Traudl Junge as she does the opening narration. I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but I don't remember her being shown at the beginning when I saw it in U.S. theaters. I do remember the narration but I think it was over a black screen until they show the younger version of Traudl and the other women walking through the woods to the bunker.
Old 08-08-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
Actually, this reminds me of a question I had some time back when I watched the German DVD. On the German DVD, at the very start of the film they show the older Traudl Junge as she does the opening narration. I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but I don't remember her being shown at the beginning when I saw it in U.S. theaters. I do remember the narration but I think it was over a black screen until they show the younger version of Traudl and the other women walking through the woods to the bunker.
The narration is clearly in the R1 dvd and it was in the theater when I saw it...again....even with the German company logo and a text that warns against piracy, etc...this DVD seems like a direct replica of the German print (unless someone proves me wrong this is my opinion)

Pro-B
Old 08-08-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be honest with you (and everyone else) interested in seeing Der Untergang this was THE BEST FOREIGN PRODUCTION that should have earned an Oscar last year....not Mar adentro aka The Sea Inside.

Ciao,
Pro-B
I am in most definite agreement.
Old 08-08-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The narration is clearly in the R1 dvd and it was in the theater when I saw it...again....even with the German company logo and a text that warns against piracy, etc...this DVD seems like a direct replica of the German print (unless someone proves me wrong this is my opinion)

Pro-B
Just to clarify, yes, the narration was in both versions I saw, it's just that I seem to recall that in U.S. theaters they did not show the older Traudl Junge until the end. When I watched the German DVD with a couple of people I'd seen the film with in theaters they didn't recall her being shown in the beginning either. Yes, the narration was there but over a black screen for the most part. But hey, my memory ain't what it used to be, so I yield to your expertise.
Old 08-08-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, and please bear with me, because it's been a while since I've watched the film. The German DVD shows the title in German (naturally). When I saw it in theaters I seem to recall the title was shown in English aka "Downfall" (and I don't just mean "Der Untergang" with "Downfall" in the subs below). I understand the R1 DVD is a port of the German release. I'm just curious if the U.S. theatrical release had these minor changes (and yes, I should have asked these questions months back). And yes, my memory could be playing tricks on me.
Old 08-08-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
Also, and please bear with me, because it's been a while since I've watched the film. The German DVD shows the title in German (naturally). When I saw it in theaters I seem to recall the title was shown in English aka "Downfall" (and I don't just mean "Der Untergang" with "Downfall" in the subs below). I understand the R1 DVD is a port of the German release. I'm just curious if the U.S. theatrical release had these minor changes (and yes, I should have asked these questions months back). And yes, my memory could be playing tricks on me.
The R1 DVD opens with the anti-pairacy text present on the German DVD and Constantin Film's logo following immediately after. The title however is replaced by a simple DOWNFALL...I think that it could have been way too obvious if Sony would have left Der Untergang there with a subtitled English name....but what makes me think that this is the exact print used for the R2 version (aside from the technical specs) is the German anti-piracy message...which is not even susbtitled....As far as the title they used in theaters here in the US....hmmm....I will be lying to you if I said they used DOWNFALL for sure....it seems like the natural option but I really don't remember. Sorry.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 08-08-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ciao,
Pro-B
Absolutely. Bruno Ganz got cheated big time for not receiving an Oscar for his perfomance. Damn, he delivered a good portrait of Hitler! I have never seen anything like that in my whole life.
Old 08-08-05, 05:49 PM

Ciao,
Pro-B
I disagree, and think "Mar adentro" is the better movie.
Wait wait wait...... put down that hammer!
;-)
I do think it's a pretty good movie.
I saw Der Untergang theatrically here in Norway (where it was a huge hit. Approx. 260 000 saw it. Biggest hit of the year here is the latest Star Wars, with some 360 000). While I found it to be very impressive, it did leave me a littl bit cold. Coming out of the movietheatre I was actually rather puzzled about that, because looking back I can't really fail the movie on anything in particular. It certainly looked the part, it had a terrific atmosphere, the actors did STELLAR work (everyone raves about Ganz ,and his performance is massive, but my "favourite" was the guy who was Goebbels. He was chilling)...... What I've come up with, is that I might have been too familiar with the subject-matter. I'd seen the documentary "blind spot" (which stayed with me much longer than Der Untergang) and just read "The fall of Berlin". So there was nothing much that surprised me with the fates of any of the people involved. Frankly, I thought the movie was at it's most interesting AFTER Hitler finally dies. The escape through russian lines was something I had little knowledge of.
So; good movie, but a little too......safe?
Old 08-08-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by run1
the actors did STELLAR work (everyone raves about Ganz, and his performance is massive, but my "favourite" was the guy who was Goebbels. He was chilling)
That guy's eyes were truly scary. And watching him stand outside the door while his wife was in the kids' bedroom...my God. I can't imagine that Goebbels himself could have been much creepier.
Old 08-08-05, 07:11 PM

Just wondering if anyone has purchased the Region 3 DTS-ES version that was released last week. http://www3.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=20502

If so, how does it compare to the other releases? Picture quality, Sound Quality and Subtitles.
Thanks
Old 08-08-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Any reviews for the Canadian 2-discer yet?
Old 08-09-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Is the Canadian version realy a 2-disc version. I looked on dvdsoon and saw that they listed it as 2 discs, but did not include an extras list. Amazon.ca did not show it as being a 2-disc set.

I watched the US disc, extra included on a Netflix rental and was very tempted to by a region-free PAL DVD player just for this movie, but am now leaning against thing having recently purchased a new player.

This was a teriffic movie, I've not read the books that the movie was based on, by have read "the Bunker" and saw it's 1980-ish TV movie and the Trevor Roper 1947 book. The movie was almost exactly what I have visualized these events.

If the Canadian disc has a similar set of extras to the UK version, I'm all over it, hoping someone can confirm that it is the same or very similar to the UK version.

I listened to about 1/2 of the commentary on the US version and will listen to the rest tonight and think that it is one of the better commentaries I have heard, very informative and well spoken.
Old 08-09-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Canadian disc it still too much of a mystery (and they usually screw up PAL to NTSC dvds anyways).

I might just wait for the UK disc, as it's a 2-disc set, so I'm assuming that it has all the extras of the German set subtitled along with the English commentary.
Old 08-09-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

trust me guys! wait for the UK version...for 2 reasons:

1-it has all the extras of the germany disc and all the extras are subtitled.
2-amazon.co.uk list it as a boxset..so expect really cool digi pack.
Old 08-09-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
trust me guys! wait for the UK version...for 2 reasons:

1-it has all the extras of the germany disc and all the extras are subtitled.
2-amazon.co.uk list it as a boxset..so expect really cool digi pack.

Pardon my stupidity here, but for me, in the US, to play the UK Disc, I would need to get a region-free (or UK region (2?)) DVD player that plays PAL discs, but can display them on a NTSC TV.

I've never considered getting a non-Region 1 DVD before this.
Old 08-09-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Yes. It is assumed that everyone here on the InternationalDVD board has an all-region player with PAL conversion capabilities.
Old 08-09-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
^ Yes. It is assumed that everyone here on the InternationalDVD board has an all-region player with PAL conversion capabilities.
exactly.
Old 08-09-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just a small note:

Michael T:

I attempted to answer your question by replying to your email but it bounced back twice. So, I will post my answer(s) here:

Only the Premium double set (Germnay) has optional English subtitles on the main feature. There are no subs on the extras. In addition there are no subtitles for the main feature on the single edition German disc.

Second, yes...from all the preliminary info I have the UK disc appears to be an exact replica of the German Premium edition. Constantin Films, the German distribs, have licensed all materials for the UK disc, including the extended interviews. The commentary in the R1 you asked about...yes it is in English and I do not know whether or not it will be on the UK double disc. Hope this helps!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
If any of the readers here feel that I have to note in the review that there is an upcoming Double UK disc with all extras from the German premium edition please let me know. Since the info is in this thread though maybe I should not.
Old 08-09-05, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BearFan
Is the Canadian version realy a 2-disc version. I looked on dvdsoon and saw that they listed it as 2 discs, but did not include an extras list. Amazon.ca did not show it as being a 2-disc set.
I did a Google search on the UPC of Canadian version and found that some etailers do list it as 1 disc but there are others besides DVDSoon who list it as 2 discs, e.g., http://www.cinemamontreal.com/aw/cdv....La_Chute.html, so there is hope :-).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.