Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oldboy 1 Disc edition from Edko

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know anything about this one?...i know theres the 2 disc from starmax and the ultimate edition....but this will be a blind buy for me...my question is the picture quality good on this one?....or go ahead and get the 2 disc from starmax

http://www7.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=15896

heres the one im referring to..
Old 01-15-05, 03:09 AM

Most Edko (Hong Kong Region 3) stuff I buy is very good.

CDWow sell it in US$ here (expensive version UK Region 0 version here)

How can you be buying it blind when there's so much written about it? Get it from Hong Kong as it's a bit cheaper there I think.

Try and get the director's Joint Security Area (JSA) and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance first. These are brilliant films. You'll find them from the places mentioned in this post at very good prices.

And search this forum too.
Old 01-15-05, 04:04 AM

I think people said the video and sound quality are real good (Some of the best), but there are almost no extras (Either that, or none at all), if that doesnt matter to you, go for it
Old 01-15-05, 07:34 PM

I noticed that the final edition and ultimate editions have deleted/alternate scene. Are those scene worth a double dip?
Old 01-15-05, 10:28 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sofdec
I think people said the video and sound quality are real good (Some of the best), but there are almost no extras (Either that, or none at all), if that doesnt matter to you, go for it
hhmm..i do like extras..iono..we'll see which one i go for...really the reason im asking about the one disc is thats the one on cdwow...and i like that free shipping..lol...but im starting to lean towards that 2 disc
Old 01-16-05, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered the Starmax Final Edition from CDWow last week, then noticed that they switched to the Edko edition right after that. I must have got one of the last ones. It may be out of print now, so snap it up while you can. It has a very good picture and sound. DVD Beaver had it rated as the best of the various versions, but they're reworking that review due to some technical issues with the screen shots.
Old 01-16-05, 09:29 PM
Cool New Member

the starmax final edition has good picture and sound or the edko?....
Old 01-16-05, 10:21 PM

The Ultimate edition and the Final editions only have Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo Surround Sound.

The 2DSE includes DTS and the Edko edition includes DTS-ES

Video quailty is all the same,
Old 01-17-05, 01:57 AM

Get the Edko as it has a great transfer (audio/video). By the time you've made your mind up they'll be no more.
Old 01-17-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually I have one of the last of the Starmax ones from CD-Wow . they accidentally sent me two and id be willign to sell one of them (unopened)for the same price I paid to avoid having to return overseas for credit.
Old 01-20-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprsho
The 2DSE includes DTS and the Edko edition includes DTS-ES

Video quailty is all the same,
Are you nuts? Have you seen the SE?
Old 01-20-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Edko from CDWOW. It has excellent sound and picture quality. I don't know how it measures up to the variety of Starmax releases. I liked the price and it was a blind buy. Very impressive film now that I've FINALLY seen it. I'm sure DVD Beaver will compare before 2 long. The extras for asian releases don't attract me much since they're usually not subbed. The UK Tartan release looks like it will be English friendly and feature rich though. Might have to buy Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance now.
Old 01-20-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Might have to buy Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance now.
Does anyone know what the specs are? Extras?
Old 01-24-05, 02:03 PM

If you're speaking on Sympathy I have the R3 version. There isn't anything on it except the film if I'm not mistaken. Sympathy was a better film than OLDBOY I think, and if you liked it you need cut. Has everyone seen the Three Extremes yet? If you're going to start chasing Chan WooK Park it's a must buy. I loved OLDBOY, but it's #3 on my list for Chan Wook Park behind Sympathy and CUT....

I also own the Edko OLDBOY, the Starmax and the original cut (the one with the purplish cover...the first release). The EDKO was the best for the price. I got it for $7 and the picture was the same as the Final Edition. It also has more sound options than the final edition. The ascept was 2:35:1 and looked great. Right now I'd say the Final Edition was the worst purchase only because I can't justify paying three times as much for something with worse sound options. I think the Edko version (even though it doesn't have a ton of extras) is the best overall value for your buck. You get the best picture/sound combination to date. I was tempted to get the UE, but I let my friend waste the $$ as he insisted. The only positive thing about the UE was Simpan, something I wanted to see. The picture on the UE is different, but not in a good way. The Edko is the closest (along with FE) to the image I recall when seeing it at the film fest last year....

Also even though it's only my opinion, the first edition picture was slightly brighter than the FE or Edko...so there are a few scenes that were a bit too dark on the Edko, but still not ruined like on the UE.... I'm not saying it's the best, but for a first time viewing it might be. It's kind of odd that I own all but the $100 UE and I find the two cheapest to be the best cuts... strange...
Old 01-24-05, 02:05 PM

sorry...I mean to say I own the "Edko, Final Edition and the Starmax (the first one). I can't edit my previous post....
Old 01-24-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by splattii
sorry...I mean to say I own the "Edko, Final Edition and the Starmax (the first one). I can't edit my previous post....
So you're saying the UE and the FE have different transfers? That's the first I've heard of that - can anybody verify?
Old 01-25-05, 12:04 AM

I think I read on dvdbeaver that they were different, but their oldboy page is down right now.
Old 01-25-05, 01:07 AM

on dvd beaver they rated the fe had a better video transfer than the ue.
Old 01-25-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The page is down? I'm sure it'll be back up soon (maybe with the Edko disc added). I recall the FE being very notably different than the UE (or the SE, for the matter). The FE looked to be the best to me, though I understand that the SE is considered more accurate by some. Seems nobody likes the UE very much.
Old 01-25-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The message on DVDBeaver says the review was taken down because a contributor's settings were incorrect. It doesn't say which version was affected.

I would be shocked to find the FE has a different transfer. Why would they go through the trouble and expense of doing a whole new transfer? The FE only came out 2 months after the UE was released. Then again, I didn't imagine they'd ship UEs with the digipacks rattling around inside getting carved up by rivets, either.
Old 01-25-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recall the screencaps being vastly different between the UE and FE, with the FE being quite obviously better. I'd be surprised to learn that it was all a matter of "incorrect settings".
Old 01-25-05, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tartan are about to issue their 2-disc PAL set in the UK, with all extras subtitled. I believe the relatively new USA branch of Tartan will be issuing a DVD in this country down the road.

I've been holding off on this title because of these upcoming versions, but if the EDKO is good quality and so cheap, it might be a good time to FINALLY see this film!
Old 01-25-05, 08:27 PM
Cool New Member

well i have ordered the edko version off of cdwow.....it was a good deal...plus i had a evoucher ....lol
Old 01-25-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you get at least 2 quid off? If so, that is a great deal!