Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any other BRIT TV fans out there?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Any other BRIT TV fans out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I've been LOVING "The IT Crowd"
Watched the series today and thought it was absolutely brilliant with a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. Think the three leads were really good. I do believe that it is a series that benefits from the 6-episode format as I could see some possibility of it getting a bit repetative otherwise. I know it will be awhile, but I can't wait for season 2.
Old 01-14-07, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I found "The IT Crowd" very hit or miss. There were some good lines/situations but they were also many type things, usually all in the same eps. From listening to the commentaries it seems the man behind it kind of agrees and is hoping to tighten things up for series 2. We'll see if that actually happens or not though...
Old 01-14-07, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
Just watched Spaced finally - loved it. What's next?
If you haven't already check out Black Books. Series 1 & 2 are available in R1. There's a full box set (all 3 series) in R2 though.
Old 01-15-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Series 2 of IT Crowd is currently airing in the UK
Old 01-15-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone caught Hyperdrive? It's a space spoof airing on BBC America starting this Friday (January 19th). Stars Nick Frost ("Ed" from Spaced and Shaun), as well as Kevin Eldon (the "dying" husband from Nighty Night, Big Train, and others). Looks like it originally aired a year ago in the UK, but isn't on DVD at this point.
Old 01-16-07, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Anyone caught Hyperdrive? It's a space spoof airing on BBC America starting this Friday (January 19th). Stars Nick Frost ("Ed" from Spaced and Shaun), as well as Kevin Eldon (the "dying" husband from Nighty Night, Big Train, and others). Looks like it originally aired a year ago in the UK, but isn't on DVD at this point.

seen it. stick with it. didnt work for me at first, but certainly gets better. second series will air soon in the UK.
Old 01-16-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
What about Bodies? I've never seen an episode or even heard it discussed anywhere on this board (not that I remember), but I remember EW picking it as the number two show of the year in 2004 I think.
Just finished S1 and am on disc 3 of S2 and it's a great show. Funny, bloody, dark & brooding and not the least bit predictable.
Old 01-16-07, 11:57 PM

Hello,

I too am a Brit TV fan owning the following series on DVD:

Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Avengers (Emma Peel set)
Secret Agent
The Prisoner
Inspector Morse
Jonathan Creek
Cracker
Prime Suspect
Coupling
Ultraviolet
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Smiley's People
Cambridge Spies
Spooks (Series 1-4)
Second Sight
Old 01-17-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logboy
you like 'rising damp'? then try rossiter in 'reggie perrin'
Reggie Perrin is my all-time favorite British series. I finally broke down a few months back and bought a copy from Amazon.UK.

On an unrelated note, are they still making seasons of "Peep Show"? The last one I heard about was season 3. So far, only season 1 has made it to the US on DVD. I've caught some non-season 1 episodes on BBC America but am not sure what season they are broadcasting.

Also, are the episodes of "Hustle" that are showing up (on A&E?, I forget) the full-length episodes, or are they butchered like when "Spooks" gets shown (as "MI-5?)"
Old 01-17-07, 05:41 PM

Looking from some recommendations for some brit tv!

So far in the Drama category, i've gotten spooks, life on mars, johnathon creek, star cops, the tripods, and tales of the unexpected.

and for comedy i've gotten, black books, and supernova.

i'm looking for others that you think I might like, and no don't recommend the office, as I don't really like it.
Old 01-18-07, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Calmuser

So far in the Drama category, i've gotten spooks, life on mars, johnathon creek, star cops, the tripods, and tales of the unexpected.

i'm looking for others that you think I might like, and no don't recommend the office, as I don't really like it.
drama : well, i recommend

'waking the dead' :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

'the lakes' :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakes-Comple...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

as for comedy, i really think 'the day today' is perhaps more relevant now than when it was made :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Today-Di...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

all highly recommended.
Old 01-18-07, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
Reggie Perrin is my all-time favorite British series. I finally broke down a few months back and bought a copy from Amazon.UK.

On an unrelated note, are they still making seasons of "Peep Show"? The last one I heard about was season 3. So far, only season 1 has made it to the US on DVD. I've caught some non-season 1 episodes on BBC America but am not sure what season they are broadcasting.

Also, are the episodes of "Hustle" that are showing up (on A&E?, I forget) the full-length episodes, or are they butchered like when "Spooks" gets shown (as "MI-5?)"
'peep show' was cancelled, then people kicked up a fuss and so there will be a season 4. mitchell and webbs recent BBC show was apallingly bad, but i still have high hopes for their upcoming film 'magicians'.
Old 01-18-07, 07:57 AM

As a brit I'd suggest checking out Shameless.
Old 01-19-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Peep Show seasons 1 and 2 when cdwow had them for $7. I just noticed today that they have season 3 but it is $27. They have a box of 1-3 for $30. Does anyone have season 3 for a more reasonable price?
Old 01-21-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been getting into Sea of Souls and also Jupiter Moon is something I've liked, but feel that maybe it should be a guilty pleasure (it's a space soap opera, in general, but good fun).
Old 01-22-07, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the recommendations all, there are a few I might check out. Now I got keep checking to see when their on sale for 60% off or more, so I can afford to order them!
Old 01-24-07, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
"Hustle" is shown on AMC in two ways: in a 75-minute slot, letterboxed, presumably unedited, and a 60-minute slot, in pan-and-scan, with cuts so the commercials can fit.

Or, at least they were this time last year!
Old 01-24-07, 11:32 PM
Suspended

I've been enjoying Hardware on BBCAmerica.

Part of that enjoyment is looking at the very cute Susan Earl, but the show itself is generally amusing.

I think Waking the Dead has been released in R1, at least the first series.

You might also try Smack the Pony. There's a UK "Best of" DVD, but all series series are available on Amazon.de.
Old 01-26-07, 07:46 AM

How about a "dramedy"?
I can highly recommend Doc Martin. On Amazon, you can get a boxset with both series 1 and 2 for about the same price as series 2 by itself.
Old 01-26-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 731 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations all, there are a few I might check out. Now I got keep checking to see when their on sale for 60% off or more, so I can afford to order them!
Keep an eye on CDWOW for some great deals. I picked up R2 Black Books 1 & 2, Spaced 1 & 2, and Peep Show 1 & 2, all for $6.95 each (some, actually $4.95 with a voucher). Although they all show higher prices now, I think it's because they're either not in stock, or they're considered 'in the warehouse', or whatever they used to refer to them as. They may show for less again.

BTW, another show I find quite funny is Still Game. There are 5 seasons of it available, and hopefully there'll be a 6th.

Last edited by andicus; 01-26-07 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
How about a "dramedy"?
I can highly recommend Doc Martin. On Amazon, you can get a boxset with both series 1 and 2 for about the same price as series 2 by itself.
comedy drama is one of the things british TV does incredibly well, i recommend the box sets for 'teachers' 'shameless' 'hamish macbeth' for starters...
Old 03-03-07, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
Anyone see The Thick of It? That's pretty funny... DVD coming or out?
DVD coming out 02/04/2007
Old 03-04-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by worrywort
DVD coming out 02/04/2007
I hope that's not a BBCshop exclusive, as they did with Joking Apart. I discovered the UK BBC store does not mail to the US.
Old 03-06-07, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon UK is having a bit of a tv sale on now. Series one of Life On Mars is under $25 for non-EU customers, which is the lowest price I've seen for the set.
Old 06-05-07, 10:15 AM

I've come across some good deals on UK TV on amazom.co.uk. Between 40%-60%. Maybe this is an ongoing sale. Too bad the US$ is so low right now. Most of these are absent from cd-wow now.

link to box set sale

ones I'd recommend:
Peep Show: Series 1-3 Box Set £17.98
Shameless 1-3 Box Set £29.97
Green Wing Series 2 £10.97
Green Wing Series 1 £10.97
Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition £14.97

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.