Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix 10 Box Set Uncut in UK?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Matrix 10 Box Set Uncut in UK?

Old 11-24-04, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Matrix 10DVD BoxSet Uncut in UK?

Well as the 1st release of the Matrix over here in the UK was badly cut of a few Headbutts.

This new dvd will it get thru unscathed?

Anyone have any info at all as I would prefer the UK set to the American set but if the UK set is cut I will not bother!

Last edited by Romerojpg; 11-24-04 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
The BBFC is really schizophrenic in their attitude towards head-butts. Some things they let go, while other things they cut.

I would think that if they previously enforced a cut on the movie, and the movie itself hasn't changed any, that the original ruling would still stand unless the studio resubmitted it for a new evaluation. Hard to say for certain until people in the UK start receiving their DVDs, though.
Old 11-24-04, 04:17 PM

Tell me about it, we have HeadButts cut from everything! its a joke! its not as if they are consistent either they let it thru in some films and cut it from others, crazy buggers!

But yes thats my problem, I have ordered the R1 set and by the time I find out if the UK set is cut or Uncut I will probibly have the R1 set but hey at least it will be uncut
Old 11-24-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a joke? Headbutts are really cut out of films in the UK? WTF?
Old 11-24-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
Yep, a good example of this is Star Wars: AOTC
Old 11-25-04, 07:34 AM

The BBFC thinks that head-butts are easily copied by schoolchildren. Awhile ago there was a rash of copycat incidents. Because of this AOTC and TPM are cut.
Old 11-25-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
Tell me about it, we have HeadButts cut from everything! its a joke! its not as if they are consistent either they let it thru in some films and cut it from others, crazy buggers!
They're not even consistent within series. Early seasons of Buffy are censored to remove headbutts, but later seasons are not.

Originally posted by matome
Yes, headbutts, cars being hotwired, and anything that could be perceived as doing harm to an animal (e.g. submerging the mouse in pink fluid in The Abyss, even though it is shown to survive and be perfectly fine afterwards). These are the ridiculous things that the BBFC considers morally objectionable and inappropriate for viewers.
Old 11-25-04, 11:42 AM

Its a joke really as The Matrix was shown on TV uncut many times! so guess the dvd isnt ok, but TV is fine! morons.

Think of all the films with headbutts in them you can think of, and maybe half of them are cut in the UK! its that bad! from TV shows to big films they cut with no mercy, but the film studios are as much to blame as they are ussually offered an Uncut DVd status if thay increase the ratings but as the film companies are in it for the cash they would rather have the film cut and make more cash.

The Matrix was an 18 uncut, but a 15 cut, so it made money sense to them, but it stopped us in the UK getting the real film, BBFC are knobbers!
Old 11-25-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So why didn't Warner just release the film with an 18?
Old 11-25-04, 12:21 PM

18 stops 15 year olds seeing the film and stops them making cash from anyone under 18, so they make more cash if they cut it

if we were like America with an R rating then kids could see it anyway, but in out cinemas if its an 18 that means noone under 18 at all.
Old 11-25-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z

Yes, headbutts, cars being hotwired, and anything that could be perceived as doing harm to an animal (e.g. submerging the mouse in pink fluid in The Abyss, even though it is shown to survive and be perfectly fine afterwards). These are the ridiculous things that the BBFC considers morally objectionable and inappropriate for viewers.
Wow, we only have to worry about nipples and the F-bomb over here!
Old 11-26-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Romerojpg
18 stops 15 year olds seeing the film and stops them making cash from anyone under 18, so they make more cash if they cut it
if we were like America with an R rating then kids could see it anyway, but in out cinemas if its an 18 that means noone under 18 at all.
So it's not the BBFC's fault for cutting it, but Warner's fault for wanting a lower, more lucrative rating.
Old 11-26-04, 08:55 AM

A Bit of Both really as they ussually automatically up the rating of many films when a headbutt is in it, even if its not a hard nasty headbutt, which none of the ones in the Matrix are as they aint even real people! they are programmes and virtual people
Old 11-26-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But it's still imitable violence. They could have easily released it with an 18 cert; tons of films have made money with an 18. Even if they released it cut to theaters they still could have released the uncut film on DVD.
Old 11-26-04, 06:29 PM

Yup they could, I guess us in the UK are looked down on by both film companies and the BBFC

thats why I rarley buy cut films and the overseas sellers get my hard cash.
The Matrix as an 18 would be a joke, it barley got any nasty violence in it and barley any real blood either in the action and fights, to call it an 18 rated film is insulting! people headbutt all the time it doesnt mean they need to crack down on it, we are not sheep and we wont headbutt everyone we meet
Old 11-26-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is the UK "looked down upon"?
Old 11-27-04, 08:20 AM

as I said they cut films to pander to the way they think we should watch them, be it headbutts, or many other of there pet hates which dont even get thru the cutting room if they feel its not for our eyes. They cut so much out of some films they are a waste to release them at all in any form.
Old 11-28-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but you have the same problems with any ratings board, not just the UK's, and it's the studio's decision to cut the film, not the BBFC's.