Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nicheflix and availability...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just signed up for nicheflix, a lot of foreign movies that have been discussed on this board have caught my eye and importing them, well...that's too expensive for me.

I filled up my queue with about 20 movies that I'd like to see. However, only about 5 are 'available now'. Most are 'available soon' or 'available shortly'.

That's a terrible ratio to me and I'm considering dropping the service already, considering the 5 that were available are lower wants...

Anyone else have experiences like this? What are the waits like when something's 'available shortly'?
Old 11-18-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The service is great and the turn-around ratio is VERY acceptable. If your concern is getting your top choices ASAP I suggest you expand your DVD-list a bit. This would assure that you get as many quality titles as possible.

You could also visit the Niche's very own forum where the "availability" issue has been/is discussed in detail.

On a side note Mark (the owner of Niche) listens to every SINGLE suggestion that a member might have. That should tell you a lot. Again, if you like foreing cinema you should definitely try and "adopt" Niche.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-18-04 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, Pro-B, my french friend. Actually I've been browsing the boards and have taken many of your suggestions for Euro films to my list (L'Ultimo Capodanno is on it's way to me, although most of them, sadly, are on that 'available shortly' list). Also, it seems that the Euro section doesn't have as many films as the Asian section, which is a bummer, considering I want to expand that part of my viewing (I have a lot of Asian imports, not so many Euro flicks).

I'll dig through the movies and find some that look interesting, but I really wanted to see some movies like Casshern, Oldboy, Infernal Affairs, Immortel, El Topo, ect. soon. We'll see.

What do you recommend from the Euro section that I may have passed over?

Last edited by Tarantino; 11-18-04 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I tried Nicheflix and cancelled after the introductory period because the only shipping center was on the west coast and the turn around time was six days from the time I dropped the DVD in the mail until the time I received another.
Old 11-18-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had at least one slot open on a daily basis for a full month and have yet to get more than one "available shortly" title. My Niche experience will be ending with what's left of my current month.

They double-charged me the first month and took 8 days to check in the first wave of titles I returned. It hasn't gotten much better since then.

Netflix has spoiled me.
Old 11-18-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nicheflix.com is one of the best rental services ever, whether it's mail order or a walk-in video store. There is much more positive aspects about nicheflix.com than the negative:

1. Considering it has only one base, in Indiana, the turn-around ratio for getting DVDs is excellent. Why would anyone join if they researched this fact? The postal service can't work miracles, and Im sure Nicheflix.com would lose profits if they spent more money on overnighting the DVDs, and then go bankrupt and then all of us would be stuck with Blockbuster and Netflix.com.
I think most people are upset with the Nicheflix mail turn-around ratio is because they can't truly take advantage of the Nichflix system. 3 movies out at a time may cause people to expect at least over 20 movies a month. That's impossible with the mail turn-around. If you receive a DVD in the mail, watch it that same night, and send it back the next day, you should expect to rent about 8 to 10 dvds a month - at 25 bucks a month, that's getting your money's worth. That's paying at least $3.25 a DVD a month. We are totally benefitting from that price! I personally would pay up to 5 dollars to rent some of these movies right now instead of waiting years and years before that movie finally plays in the USA, or maybe not even get played in the USA at all (still no BATTLE ROYALE in the USA!)

2. Again, considering that there is only one base in Indiana, it's amazing how clean the DVDs are - rarely any scratches, thumbprints, stains. That's thanks to the care of Nicheflix and the renters. I don't know if it's bad for our DVD players, but I feel good putting a nice clean dvd in my system instead of one that looks like its gonna leave some dvd crumbs in my DVD player...

3. It seems most people in Nicheflix.com rent Asian movies. A lot of complaints about waiting forever for an Asian dvd. Rent something else! The highly-anticipated Asian movies that people are waiting for aren't so amazing anyway (Casshern, Azumi, Infernal Affairs, etc.). If you are dying to see a movie, just buy it. If you can't afford it and are on a financial budget, then it is wise to be a little more patient than others considering your "financial situation." There may be a lot more selection of Asian movies than the European movies, but quality is a lot better than quantity, and European movies win when it comes to quality and being more satisfying. I say that as a general movie fan, not as an obsessive Asian movie fan that will talk up the only few really good Asian movies that were released this year. If you really want to just rent Asian movies, im sure that there are some Asian movie rental places online or in your Asian part of the neighborhood (if you aren't living in the boondocks). Chinese, Thai, and Korean dvds are more or less pretty cheap to buy anyway. Japanese DVDs, however, cost a fortune, so it makes sense to rent them instead of buying them.

4. The customer service, led by Mark, practically answers everyone's questions in the Nicheflix forum. You can't beat that, not even in walk-in rental stores. The employees in walk-in video stores, from mainstream Blockbuster to underground Kim's Video in NYC, are not helpful, usually have attitude, don't understand DVD audio/video questions, or just don't know anything.

5. Nicheflix acts upon customer's movie requests.

The only negatives that I can think of Nicheflix.com is:

1. Long wait for new Asian movies (especially Japanese ones)

2. Great selection of non-Asian movies at first, but after observing Nicheflix purchases, there aren't too many new non-Asian DVD titles that get added, when there are always new movies coming out every week in different countries.
Old 11-18-04, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
"Considering it has only one base, in Indiana, the turn-around ratio for getting DVDs is excellent"

I agree, but on my end Washington DC postal service sucks

Hey Mark, how about I run the East Coast division of Nicheflix...

"If you receive a DVD in the mail, watch it that same night, and send it back the next day"

yup, can't argue with you there, I do this on a consistant basis.

"If you are dying to see a movie, just buy it. If you can't afford it and are on a financial budget, then it is wise to be a little more patient than others considering your "financial situation."
I might have to do this for "2046"

"Nicheflix acts upon customer's movie requests"

can't argue with you there either. Mark does a great job.

"It seems most people in Nicheflix.com rent Asian movies."

This might be the case, but I am hoping that the Nicheflix catalog of films might also include in the near future, all the European and Older Classic films I see all the time advertised in the UK magazine: Sight & Sound. I would also like to see the TV expanded to include more of the British television series that never get released stateside release or exposure ("Little Britain") as well including the stand-up comedian DVD's and Music DVD (live and video collections) that are common place in the UK DVD market.

I'd also like to see a sub-genre of "Gay and Lesbian" films, specifically the domestic Strand Release titles that Netfllix for some reason or the other can't seem to secure in making available for rental. (Greencine can, but Netflix can't, don't ask I don't understand it: i,e: "Beefcake" "The Raspberry Reich" to name a few)

All in all, I am very happy that Nicheflix exists and makes available titles I might or might not purchase, essentially saving me money in the long run.

Last edited by Giles; 11-18-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 10:50 AM

It seems most people in Nicheflix.com rent Asian movies. A lot of complaints about waiting forever for an Asian dvd. Rent something else! The highly-anticipated Asian movies that people are waiting for aren't so amazing anyway (Casshern, Azumi, Infernal Affairs, etc.). If you are dying to see a movie, just buy it. If you can't afford it and are on a financial budget, then it is wise to be a little more patient than others considering your "financial situation."There may be a lot more selection of Asian movies than the European movies, but quality is a lot better than quantity, and European movies win when it comes to quality and being more satisfying. I say that as a general movie fan, not as an obsessive Asian movie fan that will talk up the only few really good Asian movies that were released this year. If you really want to just rent Asian movies, im sure that there are some Asian movie rental places online or in your Asian part of the neighborhood (if you aren't living in the boondocks). Chinese, Thai, and Korean dvds are more or less pretty cheap to buy anyway. Japanese DVDs, however, cost a fortune, so it makes sense to rent them instead of buying them.
This has to be one of the most egocentric posts I've read in a while!
Old 11-18-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SIFU, I guess you can tell I've got a slight problem with Asian flicks!
Old 11-18-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No.VA here, my turn around time to send a receive a disc is about 6 days. I guess the mail man likes me.
I'm totally in love with Nicheflix, I used to spend about $200 a month of foriegn films (mostly asian) this saves me a lot of money and the hassle of selling/trading titles I didn't want.
Old 11-18-04, 12:13 PM

SIFU, I guess you can tell I've got a slight problem with Asian flicks!
Yes, I would say so! You really should get that problem looked at.
Old 11-18-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SIFU,
If I take heavy dvd doses of HERO, BATTLE ROYALE, and HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS a day, I think I'll get cured...
Old 11-18-04, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by toddly6666
SIFU,
If I take heavy dvd doses of HERO, BATTLE ROYALE, and HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS a day, I think I'll get cured...
but not if you rent GREEN FISH, THE COAST GUARD, or BATTLE ROYALE II.
Old 11-19-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I think a couple of the keys with Nicheflix is patience and flexibility.

I finally got two movies rented from Nicheflix that had been sitting in my queue for about a month or month and a half (Shaun of the Dead and Bright Young Things). They were Nos. 1 and 2 on my list for that whole time. I get that they are very in-demand discs, but it is frustrating to have to wait that long. That is where patience comes in.

Where flexibility comes in is knowing that you might have to wait for certain titles and filling your queue with other movies, some that you wouldn't think about seeing normally maybe. I have a queue overflowing with titles so even though my top choices might take a little longer sometimes, I always have something interesting to watch. Afterall, isn't that what these services are for - getting the opportunity to watch all kinds of films?

And like others have said, I love that Mark obviously reads the forum and takes some users' suggestions when adding titles. I do agree with others though that there could be some more categories of films added or more sub-genres. If nothing else, it would make searching for new films easier.
Old 11-20-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Tarantino
Ah, Pro-B, my french friend. Actually I've been browsing the boards and have taken many of your suggestions .....

What do you recommend from the Euro section that I may have passed over?

Tarantino....I just got back and saw your post but am very, VERY tired to respond. I will write to you tomorrow...ok?

Pro-B
Old 11-20-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nicheflix is an AMAZING service and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it that own's a multi-region DVD player. Pro-B and Toddly6666 sum their service up really well.

Do yourself a favor and try em out. It's free.
Old 11-20-04, 11:32 AM

Another Thumbs way up from me ...., would not have known or seen so many movies from around the world spending so little money ( and time).
Old 11-20-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Tarantino:

Recommending films, especially foreign, is a rather risky business as often what appeals to one is probably a disappointment for another. So, hopefully some of the films that I am about to list here will appeal to your taste.

For someone that has not been exposed to the majority of titles that Niche currently offers...I will break them down in 3 categories, and suggest a few films that I think might be of some interest to you:

CATEGORY 1-
Straightforward/easy to watch (for those accustomed to mainstream Hollywood)

Crying Freeman- from the director Christoph Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf), perhaps the easiest transitional film…from Hollywood to foreign productions (with an English soundtrack). I did not like the film at all…many did.

Nid De Guepes- (somewhat of a favorite around here)

Dobermann- Jan Kounen’s wicked, excessively violent film, unfortunately his latest Blueberry is a disappointment.

Stalingrad- an epic film which unfortunately still hasn’t gotten a proper release. Nevertheless, highly recommended.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me- somewhat mocked in Europe and especially in its native Germany I think that this film based on the true story of a German Nazi soldier and his numerous attempts to escape the Soviet “death camps” –GULAG- could and should appeal to many. Clocking in at almost 3 hours I had a great time with it. Sadly, no R1 releaseis even considered.

Vidocq- a very controversial film. Excessive use of digital imagery, great actors, yet somewhat shallow in my opinion. It is not to be denied however that there is plenty of entertainment here (at least seeing Depardieu running again was a thrill).

The Lighthorsemen- a very curious Australian film that wants to be an epic (and its visuals are indeed impressive) yet it dragged quite a bit at least for my taste. However I really liked the panoramic views this film had and the story was not that bad after all. Recommended.

CATEGORY 2-

Films that offer plenty of the so-called “art-house” flavor yet are not overly self-confined.

There are plenty of films that I would put into this category and outright recommend them to you though I have to point out that some could turn out to be rather “difficult”. Nevertheless here are some great choices:

Time of The Wolf- M. Haneke’s latest (not anymore) film starring Isabelle Huppert. This film has it all. An Apocalyptic vision of a society that has lost everything that binds human beings. Absolutely perfect!!!

NOVO- abstract erotic film-making....and much more!

La Finestra Di Fronte (Facing Windows)- my favorite film from last year. It’s only problem…it is perhaps too “perfect”, too polished. Nevertheless I dare say the best Italian film from the last 15 years.

Ni Pour Ni Contre....- French neo-noir and new wave on the rise!! Loved it.

Rosetta- Cinema Verite at its best. This film is worthy of Criterion treatment!! The Dardenne brothers at their best.

Ricordati Di Me (Remember Me)- I absolutely loved this film. I would have placed it in the first category however there are so many hidden messages in it I truly think it belongs here. Monica Bellucci, Fabrizio Bentivoglio, Nicoletta Romanoff (hint...what do you know about the old Russian Romanoff dynasty)….what else could you ask for.

The Girl From Paris- I loved EVERYTHING about this film!!!

La Chambre Des Officiers- SEE THIS FILM!! A humongous achievement!! If I were to see one film for an entire year…this is it.

Le Samourai- CLASSIC!!!

Okay- an excellent Danish film!! Paprika Steen (FESTEN) is superb!! Way to go R1 distribs . Why this excellent film is not offered in the US is a mystery to me.

CATEGORY 3-
This is where the big controversy is. Films that are described by many as “difficult”, “challenging”, “provocative”, “unusual”. Or described as many as “well, just not my cup of tea”. I’d say they require patience and some advanced viewing experience (when it comes to Art House/European cinema).

Take My Eyes- Spectacular film. One of Spain’s best which I dare say should be the main Oscar contender. The film swept the Goya Awards (the Spanish Oscars). Chilling!

In My Skin- Self-mutilation as a form of art? Interesting, repulsive, provocative, or simply cheap? See for yourself.

Those Who Love Me Can Take The Train- perhaps a film that many would hate I however loved it. Chereau is one of France's best.

The Piano Teacher- There really isn’t a film where Isabelle Huppert is anything but superb. Her performance here however is mind-blowing. SEE THIS FILM.

IRREVERSIBLE- I am sure that by now you have heard, seen, and read, plenty about it. Considered by some as important and an achievement in recent cinema (me) and a nihilistic trash by others. Nevertheless one of the most talked about films from the last 15 years!!

Lilya-4-Ever- Perhaps Moodysson’s best work after Fucking Amal (Show Me Love). Heart-breaking film about the collapse of a society and those entangled in its web. After you see this film there really isn’t much to discuss.

La Dolce Vita- the supreme European art-house film. Even after seeing it 100 times I am sure you would still discover more. Fellini’s best!

La Belle Noiseuse- Rivette’s most personal film. Creating is a painful process and this film shows it. Outstanding!!!

SALO- this list would have been incomplete without it.

So, here are a few titles for you to consider.

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-20-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-20-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Pro B - I only had one of those on my list, that being Dobermann and I've already seen Irreversible. Other than that, they're all new recommendations.

I'll check some of those out.
Old 11-21-04, 05:56 PM

I would put 'Cypher' into CATEGORY 1 too. Probably Vincenzo Natali's best film since Cube. 'Nothing' isn't bad either.
Old 11-21-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, while it just got a quality R1 release from Kino, The Return is excellent. I loved it... very Tarkovsky-ish but with some thriller elements. I couldn't wait for R1 so bought the Italian release, and don't even have buyer's remorse.
Old 11-21-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrwilson
I would put 'Cypher' into CATEGORY 1 too. Probably Vincenzo Natali's best film since Cube. 'Nothing' isn't bad either.
I've had Cypher in my list as well, it's...like many...on a wait.
Old 11-24-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cypher is a really solid film that deserved a theatrical release stateside... Read my review:

http://www.nicheflix.com/reviews/cypher.html