Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PART TWO: Kill Bill 2 Japanese version [different from the U.S. version]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

PART TWO: Kill Bill 2 Japanese version [different from the U.S. version]

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Japanese version of Kill Bill 2 IS different from the U.S.

It's a minute more of Esteban's cantina and hottie Mexican hoes, with the The Bride's voiceover starting earlier.

From the R2 Box DVD:

Old 10-13-04, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you joking as that pretty odd aint it! how much is it exactly?

as I can now add this to my Ebay sales and sell them better as I can say

1 more minute of superb extra Uncut Footage to hot for Everywhere else!
Old 10-13-04, 11:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The scary thing is that when I first saw this thread title, I immediately thought "I guess that Romerojpg guy is going to sell more of these things on ebay".
Old 10-13-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not joking! It's about 45 seconds worth before The Bride gets out of the car at Esteban's. Also a couple of extended shots of the Bride checking them out. The R2 packaging lists trhe runtime as 138 min. while the R1 is 137min. Those screencaps are taken right from the film. I guess us R1'ers can't handle the hotness of the fine Mexican ladies!
Old 10-13-04, 12:19 PM

well spotted. i ordered the r2j automatically incase, and have waited for it a little longer too. thing is, i preordered so i think ive got a free KB2 tshirt too!...
Old 10-13-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Wow, good catch. Very odd that this extra footage is in the Japanese version. Anyone who's seen the film would know that these 45 seconds couldn't have just been removed for pacing reasons. (138 minutes? That's too long, we should keep the film at a tight, trim 137 minutes)

If that's the only difference, I don't feel like paying big bucks for the R2, but I guess I'll try to look for a used copy in Japan just for completeness sake.
Old 10-13-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, perhaps i'll consider getting the movie, without the box. The transfer is bound to be superior to the R1 anyway.
Old 10-14-04, 11:52 AM

Can anyone say exactly how much is cut? in seconds? and what exactly these cuts were? as it will help when I add it to my sets on Ebay

and I guess old Tarentino must have wanted it a little different for the Japanese audience.
Old 10-14-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Can anyone say exactly how much is cut? in seconds? and what exactly these cuts were? as it will help when I add it to my sets on Ebay

and I guess old Tarentino must have wanted it a little different for the Japanese audience.
You have many copies... open one up and enjoy the fresh aroma of LE goodness FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
Old 10-14-04, 04:38 PM

Customs has them all at the moment I expect a massive bill soon!

so I would if I could, but I carnt.
Old 10-14-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Romerojpg

It's about fifty seconds cut from the U.S. version. The cut is basically shown in my screen caps. Fadeout from The Bride driving down the dirt road to the inside of the cantina and pan/fades to the different hoes. A extra back/forth cut between the hoe with the laundry basket and The Bride. The Bride gets out of the car, where it continues as the U.S. version.

I'll have to compare when I get home, but the R2 disc has three trailers, whereas I believe the R1 disc only had two [EDIT: upon review there are NO teasers/trailers on the R1 disc]. The menus are the same as R1 except for Japanese text of course.

I don't know if the extra footage is worth the hassle of the manual switching you have to do to get the Pai Mei subtitles on, but the picture quality looks a smidgen better than the R1. But if you're a completist, you know what's out there.

Last edited by matome; 10-14-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 05:29 PM

A extra back/forth cut between the hoe with the laundry basket and The Bride
I just find that a funny comment

cracking stuff thanks, its sure to tempt people to get it, as you say some people are very picky if you say something has been cut, even if its pointless stuff
Old 10-14-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by matome
I'll have to compare when I get home, but the R2 disc has three trailers, whereas I believe the R1 disc only had two. The menus are the same as R1 except for Japanese text of course.

I don't know if the extra footage is worth the hassle of the manual switching you have to do to get the Pai Mei subtitles on, but the picture quality looks a smidgen better than the R1. But if you're a completist, you know what's out there.
Is the full trailer on there (unlike the R1 disc)? And is there a "behind the scenes", showing some of the actual shooting of the film, like there was on the R2 Vol 1 disc?
Old 10-14-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did the disc comparison and realized there are NO teasers/trailers on the R1 disc. I just checked the R2 disc and there are three awesome Japanese "Kill Is Love" trailers. THe first is a KB2 teaser with The Bride walking through the desert with a Hanzo sword overlay. The second is a long trailer combining Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and the third is the trailer for Vol. 2 by itself. Very cool, and IMO worth the purchase for these alone, since it's questionable whether the R1 Super-box (whenever it comes) will have these Japanese trailers.

There is also a menu of text-based stuff in Japanese which seem to be production notes and cast bios.

The rest of the special features are exactly the same as the R1.

Last edited by matome; 10-14-04 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is the sound on the JP R2? I remember with Vol. 1 that I thought the R1 sounded slightly better.
Old 10-14-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only listened to the DTS tracks on the KB discs, but the R2 sounds like it might be a wee bit louder than the R1, but other than that nothing discernible. I agree with you on the R1 & R2 differences for Vol. 1. The R2 had better picture, but the R1 had the better DTS track.
Old 10-14-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only listened to the DTS tracks on the KB discs, but the R2 sounds like it might be a wee bit louder than the R1, but other than that nothing discernible. I agree with you on the R1 & R2 differences for Vol. 1. The R2 had better picture, but the R1 had the better DTS track.

So it seems like the R2 Vol. 2 has the best sound and picture, then? If so, that is good to hear (no pun!), I hate having to choose between the two with Vol. 1.
Old 10-14-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, The R2 seemed to be a little bit sharper and EE didn't seem to be too bad, I only noticed some around The Bride when she was walking out towards the Church doors. If you can put up with the manual subs and the R2 price premium, I'd recommend it for the extra footage and cool trailers.
Old 10-14-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, The R2 seemed to be a little bit sharper and EE didn't seem to be too bad, I only noticed some around The Bride when she was walking out towards the Church doors. If you can put up with the manual subs and the R2 price premium, I'd recommend it for the extra footage and cool trailers.
I already have the box coming from Amazon, I am just being impatient. Thanks!
Old 10-14-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just checked the R2 disc and there are three awesome Japanese "Kill Is Love" trailers. THe first is a KB2 teaser with The Bride walking through the desert with a Hanzo sword overlay. The second is a long trailer combining Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and the third is the trailer for Vol. 2 by itself. Very cool, and IMO worth the purchase for these alone, since it's questionable whether the R1 Super-box (whenever it comes) will have these Japanese trailers.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing those trailers on the Japanese Kill Bill website. They were cool. It's sure as hell better than the R1 disc with NO trailers.
Old 10-14-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Japanese volume 1 and 2 set today, and my worries are assuaged. Both volumes are indeed the Japanese versions, and some interesting extras too. I didn't check what the US version has, but I'm gonna be happy with this one until one with commenatary or something comes out.

BTW like I said, I deleted my old thread and put the info in this post.