Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrGerbil
Not the case. I think the detective located a few more from his supplier.
maybe they just don't want to sell it to me then.
Old 01-04-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
My regular 2-Disc SE has been delayed by CDwow until 1/03/05
How did you find out this? Is their release or expected ship dates on the product page, or did you find out from an email? Just curious. I am thinking about placing an order for a couple of titles from there.
Old 01-04-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
How did you find out this? Is their release or expected ship dates on the product page, or did you find out from an email? Just curious. I am thinking about placing an order for a couple of titles from there.

Don't worry...mine shipped from cdwow on 1/4-within 24 hours of placing the order.

Ron
Old 01-04-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I was notified via e-mail after placing my order. Then I received another e-mail 2 days later informing me that the item shipped.
Old 01-05-05, 09:27 PM

I got the Limited Edition today from CD Wow! and though I haven't watched the film yet , I really love the packaging with the book. I thought that the packaging would just be a small box (ala Spiderman 2) but this was a lot bigger than what I expected. $ 41.95 for this set shipped from HK was definitely worth it! I'm glad I was able to buy it before they increased the price to more than $ 50!
Old 01-06-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone having trouble with the new 2-disc set freezing up on you? When the bamboo fight starts, everything starts pixelating and getting stuck. It's like that for the rest of the chapters on the disc, too. I'll have to try it on another one of my players before I send it back.
Old 01-06-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

dullboy, I had exactly the same problem with the 2-disc edition. When the bamboo fight begins my copy skips a bit and then freezes. All of the chapters after that one also will not play. I'm using a Momitsu V880 player. I also tried the disc in my PC's DVD-ROM drive and I ran into the same problem (except that there was more pixelation). I was hoping I just received a defective disc.

I contacted CD-Wow about the problem via their site, and they said they'd send a replacement and to send back the faulty copy. But now I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the whole batch.

I'm tempted to order the 3-disc limited edition, but if the first disc is the same as the one in the 2-disc edition I'm worried that I could spend a lot for a disc I won't be able to play.

I was able to tell from viewing the first part of the movie that the transfer is noticably better on this new edition. I was quite pleased... until the disc froze up, that is.
Old 01-06-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ralph, I was playing mine through a Philips 642. I planned on trying it on my Cyberhome 300 after I get off work today, but now knowing you have had the same problem on your player AND your PC, I'm completely discouraged. Does sound like a bad batch......shit.
Old 01-06-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neverminding the shit-ass defect on the first disc, does anyone know if the easter egg on disc 2 is found the same way as it was on the Edko 2 disc of Hero (I think you hit 5 on the remote control to access the trailers and other tidbits)?
Old 01-06-05, 03:10 PM

I just watched the Limited Edition DVD and it does not skip or freeze during the bamboo fight. I watched it on a Toshiba 4900.
Old 01-06-05, 04:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
What is the best release??

can somebody just tell me what is the best release thus far for this movie? whatever region, however many discs...the best picture, audio and any extras that are in English or at least subtitled. A link or two would also be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-05, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

well im a little worried now...i ordered my 2 disc edition from cdwow a day ago....seeing these problems everybodys having upsets me a little....i hope my copy has no problems....i really dont feel like going through the hassle of getting another copy from them...we'll see
Old 01-06-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tempermentalist
well im a little worried now...i ordered my 2 disc edition from cdwow a day ago....seeing these problems everybodys having upsets me a little....i hope my copy has no problems....i really dont feel like going through the hassle of getting another copy from them...we'll see
Even if you have to return it, the process will be hassle-free with CDwow.
Old 01-06-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got my 2-disc set from Cdwow...and it's defective.

Noticed it during the audio setup. I selected the DTS track and then hit "Resume Film". The DTS "Piano" intro started to skip during playback. The bamboo fight displayed the same results.

Hopefully, my LE won't have the same issues.

DVD Player: Phillips 727
Old 01-06-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The DTS "piano" sequence skipped on my copy too. That made me a little nervous, but if that had been the only problem I would've been okay with it. Not being able to play the second half of the movie *is* a problem, however. My guess is that it's the second layer of this dual-layered disc that is faulty. I can't tell for sure but the layer change may be at the start of the bamboo fight.

I went ahead and placed an order for the limited edition because I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the LE yet. The 2-disc version I received is definitely defective, though.
Old 01-06-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Can anyone who's gotten the new disc already confirm whether the subtitles appear entirely in the 2.35:1 image or half-in/half-out like on the previous Edko release? I'm asking specifically about the way it appears in 16:9 mode, not 4:3 letterbox downconversion.
Old 01-06-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Can anyone who's gotten the new disc already confirm whether the subtitles appear entirely in the 2.35:1 image or half-in/half-out like on the previous Edko release? I'm asking specifically about the way it appears in 16:9 mode, not 4:3 letterbox downconversion.
No change.....still half-in/half-out
Old 01-06-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I went ahead and placed an order for the limited edition because I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the LE yet. The 2-disc version I received is definitely defective, though.
Perhaps the LE disks were a different batch (pressing)...
Old 01-06-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I'm dying to pick this up, but I'm trying to patiently wait to see how everything shapes up, regarding best transfer, possible defects, etc. It's a tough wait though.

Keep posting opinions, problems, etc. guys. The info is very helpful.
Old 01-07-05, 02:08 AM

Can someone confirm if the 2-disc set is in fact region 3 and not region 0? I'd like it pick this up but I only have a region 1 player.
Old 01-07-05, 02:23 AM

R3, time to buy a secondary multiregion player...
Old 01-07-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like we'll never get a good, affordable version of this movie before the Region 1 release. Judging by Disney's release of Hero, I'm not feeling very confident.
Old 01-07-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm discouraged by all of this as well, but I am hoping when I receive the LE, all will be fine.
Old 01-07-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, this sucks. When trying to buy a dvd becomes this damn stressful, something's gotta be wrong. I've been waiting a long time to buy this movie. I've read too many posts and reviews about current and supposed upcoming releases, and to be honest, none of them sound good - only "this one's better than this one" type of claims. I've yet to see an edition be touted as a great transfer. All reviews seem to me to say "keep waiting for a better issue". I guess I have to wait until the R1 comes out to see if that one's gonna be any better than what's available now. And of course by then (May), these earlier issues will probably be OOP. So if the R1 winds up sucking I'll be screwed.
Old 01-07-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received my shipping notice from CD-WOW last night, but I suppose it'll be another bad disc. If it is, I wonder if I should just return it for a refund and wait-and-see how the Starmax set turns out?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.