DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   House of Flying Daggers [merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/390259-house-flying-daggers-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

jordb2k4 10-12-04 10:28 AM

House of Flying Daggers

Hey I saw that Yes Asia is going to start shipping the House of Flying Daggers DVD. Is it a good bet that this dvd is going to be good quality just like the Hero DVD, anyone have anything to add because I've considered picking this one up.

AEspinoza1 10-12-04 02:55 PM

I just noticed this myself so I placed an order. I have been anxiously wating to see this movie.

Also, on DVDAsian it lists two releases of this film. One by Edko with a release date of Oct. 20 (close to the Oct. 15 street date YesAsia lists) This version is not listed as Anamorphic and has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I have had good experiences with DVD's from Edko so I'm a bit suprised.

The second release is from Starmax (street date Nov. 25) and is listed as 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen.
Both appear to have the same running time
YesAsia does not list which version they have for sale.

Sifu 10-12-04 03:26 PM

The Edko is from Hong Kong, and the Starmax is from Korea, so that accounts for the different release dates.

I wouldn't trust the aspect ratio given by dvdasian for the Edko. Not to say they are definately wrong, but sometimes they list things incorrectly.

jordb2k4 10-12-04 03:43 PM

So which one would you guys say would be the best one I've noticed several versions popping up on ebay as well. Probably all bootleggs but I got my copy of Hero from there and the quaity on it was awesome for like 10 bucks. Let me know what I should do because I want to get this one badly.

RonBoster 10-12-04 04:31 PM

just FYI: cdwow also is selling this title. I'll be picking one up as well

Ron

khai 10-12-04 05:38 PM

Dang.. I was hoping that they'd somehow squeeze a DTS track in there. :) I think I'll just stick with the Edko HK release.

bobstevens 10-12-04 10:01 PM

Originally posted by jordb2k4
So which one would you guys say would be the best one I've noticed several versions popping up on ebay as well. Probably all bootleggs but I got my copy of Hero from there and the quaity on it was awesome for like 10 bucks. Let me know what I should do because I want to get this one badly.
I'd go with the one from YesAsia. It's only $12.99 and if you got this month's coupon that's $5 off right there. It takes a separate $50 order to get the coupon though.

candyrocket786 10-12-04 10:30 PM

$10.29 @ Cdwow (with discount link + voucher)

mediawave 10-13-04 01:21 AM

vcd or dvd?

I found this version on koreandvd.com

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=24391

Is this for the vcd or the dvd I don't know. Also, for the price are the subs and picture going to be crap?

anyone know? stay away from this?

paul

mediawave 10-13-04 01:22 AM

vcd or dvd?

I found this version on koreandvds.com

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=24391

Is this for the vcd or the dvd I don't know. Also, for the price are the subs and picture going to be crap?

anyone know? stay away from this?

paul

drjay 10-13-04 02:03 AM

mediawave,

According to KoreanDVDs the subs are burnt in; but there are Chinese and English? I'm not sure which ones would be the burnt in ones... I believe they're probably the same DVD though, considering they're both HK and have the same release date. Someone correct me if I sound like an ass...

logboy 10-13-04 06:06 AM

both the korean disc (not listed at koreandvds.com yet : they have the chinese ZOKE disc, a bootlef at $4) and the HK disc (at layoyo.com and dddhouse.com and cd-wow.com for about £8 or equivalent) are widescreen anamorphic... see the pieces over at www.twitchfilm.com for more guidance and info... some grabs from the ZOKE disc too.

Afandi 10-13-04 11:46 AM

I just got the dvd from Zoke culture, 16:9, region 2, subtitle BURN IN (Chinese and English) and very hard to read because it almost blend together with the picture. TOO BAD. I love the movie. Hopefully other company will made a better quality picture than this stupid Zoke Culture.

logboy 10-13-04 12:17 PM

yes : the HK discs is good. subs arent burnt in, DTS sound, anamorphic, about $10USD...
out on the 18th!

khai 10-13-04 09:13 PM

Originally posted by logboy
yes : the HK discs is good. subs arent burnt in, DTS sound, anamorphic, about $10USD...
out on the 18th!

Woah! So it does have DTS. :) :) :) I'm sold with no hesitation.

logboy 10-14-04 03:09 AM

see asiandvdguide.com for specs...

flixtime 10-14-04 06:11 AM

Can anyone confirm that the HK release is indeed 2.35:1 OAR and not 1.85:1 as listed on some seller sites?

dullboy 10-14-04 09:23 AM

How long does it normally take to get something shipped from yesasia? I usually like ordering from dvdasian because they are based in the US and it only takes two days from dispatch to get the goods. But there is a 5 day difference in the release date listed for this between the two sites. I don't know what to do!

ntuc 10-14-04 10:02 AM

this movie is terrible. skip! dun expect anything like hero.

Chris Camfield 10-14-04 10:21 AM

< never mind >

fourizonly 10-14-04 11:36 AM

Originally posted by dullboy
How long does it normally take to get something shipped from yesasia? I usually like ordering from dvdasian because they are based in the US and it only takes two days from dispatch to get the goods. But there is a 5 day difference in the release date listed for this between the two sites. I don't know what to do!
Yesasia ships from San Bruno, CA. If the product is in stock, they usually ship the next day.

dullboy 10-14-04 12:20 PM

Thanks fourizonly. In your experience, does standard shipping from yesasia really take much longer than priority?

fourizonly 10-14-04 12:56 PM

Thanks fourizonly. In your experience, does standard shipping from yesasia really take much longer than priority?
dullboy, I always use their Super Saver free shipping (Media Mail) and the transit time is 2 days since I'm in So. Cal.

I believe for standard shipping from San Bruno, CA to Austin, TX it's 3 days for First Class and 2 days for Priority.

DrGerbil 10-14-04 02:47 PM

YMMV, but yesasia is mighty fast, even with standard shipping. To the east coast, it took only 3 days...

texaspete 10-14-04 04:25 PM

Re: House of Flying Daggers

Originally posted by jordb2k4
Hey I saw that Yes Asia is going to start shipping the House of Flying Daggers DVD. Is it a good bet that this dvd is going to be good quality just like the Hero DVD, anyone have anything to add because I've considered picking this one up.
Says it's Region Code 3 DVD. :(