Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you help me identify a kung-fu movie?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was a kid, I recall watching a kung-fu movie a couple of times on USA, back when they had Kung-Fu action on weekends.

I only remember two parts of the movie, but hopefully it's enough to ring a bell in someones mind.

1st scene has our main hero up in a tree. He jumps down on some passerbys, and proceeds to fight them. As he's fighting, he uses his technique, called "The 18 Tumbles". A person watching the fight say "It's the 18 Tumbles of Young Dragon!".

2nd scene I remember is a large outdoor fight scene. 2 people are fighting, one with a spear, they are being watched by a group of people. The person with the spear turns to run away, and the other combatant gives chase. An onlooker say "Watch his turn!", right before the person with the spear stops, turns and impales the chasing foe. The spear is then drawn all the way through the person.

As I wrote that, I realize that I may remember a 3rd part, but this could be another movie I'm getting confused and blending into the above one. I remember our group of heros all meeting in a swamp, as one man runs up, the waiting party says "Look! It's Red-Head Devil!".

Any help would be appreciated!

-JR
Old 10-04-04, 02:26 PM

I'm pretty sure there's an "18 Tumbles of Young Dragon" in the Shaw Brothers movie "The Water Margin", but I'm not sure it has the scenes you are talking about, as it's been a while since I've seen it.
Old 10-04-04, 02:44 PM

Wow Sifu, I think you're right. I just did some searching on it, and although I couldn't find the references I mentioned above, I did read that there "chiga chiga chaaaa" sound effect that appears whenever a specific character is on screen, which I recall was in the film above.

I'd like to pick this movie up, browsing for it, I noticed there are a couple different releases. Would anyone know if one is better than the other?

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Thanks again for your help!

-JR

Last edited by juicerocket; 10-04-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-04-04, 04:09 PM

The first two you have listed are going to have the same features and quality, the Hong Kong version adds a slip case. The third one you posted is a bootleg, and should be avoided, if for no other reason than because it's a bootleg.

Don't buy from HKflix though, they are waaaaay over-priced!