Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-23-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts

Found this review from the Straits Times.

Sounds like Jackie is back to doing what he does best, wall-to-wall action. After the crap he's been appearing in recently (TUXEDO, MEDALLION, etc), I can't wait to see this. Hopefully the HK DVD will be out soon.

============================================

Daredevil Chan back in his element

After a spate of Hollywood films, action maestro Jackie Chan returns to his popular Police Story series and delivers a thoroughly enjoyable action comedy

By Ong Sor Fern

NEW POLICE STORY (PG)

123 minutes

Opens Sept 23

*** 1/2

PUSHING THE LIMITS: New Police Story explodes with so much action, it will knock you dead.

WHEN it comes to leaping tall buildings, Superman ain't got nothing on action hero Jackie Chan.

He runs up vertical walls. He jumps over fences. At one point in this thoroughly entertaining fifth instalment of the wildly successful Police Story series, he even runs down the side of a skyscraper.

Yes, this is 'Vintage Jackie Chan', as the poster declares. For once, a movie lives up to the marketing hype. This is the classic Chan formula that once ruled the Chinese New Year box-office market with an iron fist.

There are lots of nicely choreographed fights and eye-popping stunts that rely on the performers' athleticism instead of CGI frenzy. The result is an action-packed, snappily paced rollercoaster ride with the requisite thrills and spills.

Chan plays Inspector Wing, leader of a crack police unit. His confidence is rocked by an encounter with a group of cop-hating bank robbers led by the cocky Joe (Daniel Wu).

The youthful criminals lead Wing into a trap and massacre his unit. So Wing hits the bottle for a year. He is awakened finally from his drunken stupor by the arrival of an enthusiastic new partner, Frank (Nicholas Tse).

Frank is determined to crack the bank robbery case and hauls Wing back from the gutter.

The plot is really rather irrelevant. It is simply an excuse for Chan to do his thing, which he does.

It is a pleasure to watch him back in his element, and his comfort level shows. New Police Story is more fun than his last three bombastic Hollywood vehicles - Around The World In 80 Days, The Medallion and Shanghai Knights - put together.

The action centerpiece here is a stunningly lengthy, nail-biting sequence that throws in everything but the kitchen sink.

ARMED AND DANGEROUS: Jackie Chan hits the target with his trademark death-defying stunts.

It starts with a group of extreme sportsmen doing their thing on a rooftop. The chase sequence that unfolds involves getting off said rooftop using everything but the elevators, a bicycle-and-foot race across bridges and a runaway bus sequence to rival the vehicular chaos in Speed.

This segment alone is worth the ticket price.

The melodrama, however, threatens to swamp the movie at various points. There are overly long sequences of Wing angsting over the deaths of his comrades in a bar and getting weepy with his longtime and long-suffering girlfriend, Hong Yee (Charlie Young).

Chan may be the action man audiences all know and love. But Chan the sensitive New Age guy just inspires giggles with his stiff acting.

But he is ably supported by a youthful cast that combines eye candy with onscreen ease. Tse musters suitably frivolous enthusiasm as the perky partner and carries off his share of action stunts believably.

Wu is so ferociously sincere in his sulky malcontent as the spoiled rich brat that one fears for the health of his flaring nostrils.

As usual the women disappear into the background as either wanly virtuous decor (Young) or sweetie-pie love interest (Charlene Choi).

Young is pinning her comeback hopes on this movie after retiring in 1997 from showbiz. Her image consultancy business, set up with her Singaporean boyfriend, went bust. But her appearance hardly makes a dent.

While this movie may brand itself New Police Story, it is the same old Jackie.

And that needs no window-dressing.
Old 09-23-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds terrific!

What's the usual window bewteen HK openings and an HK DVD release?
Old 09-23-04, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Knowing HK it's probably already available on DVD or did you mean the official release... Usually they don't seem to take long as the theater runs seem to be shorter. For example Twins Effect 2 came out in Aug and the DVD is already announced for Oct. W/ this one though who knows, if they can get a longer theater run out of it it may delay the DVD a bit. I wouldn't be surpised though if it was out towards the end of the year/beginning of next year.
Old 09-23-04, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ording this? PS Trilogy
Old 09-23-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fourizonly
Anyone ording this? PS Trilogy
Hopefully it's an error, but that page shows Screen Format 4:3.

I have the first two from HKL (R2/PAL) and that's probably as good as it gets.
Old 09-23-04, 10:59 AM

I have the first two from HKL (R2/PAL) and that's probably as good as it gets.
I just wish they would do the 3rd one in the same fashion.
Old 09-24-04, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"fifth in the series" , wow I thought there were only 2. Are No.3 and No. 4 available on R1 DVD?
Old 09-24-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

gah more dvds to spend my money on
Old 09-24-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mr_jbloggs
"fifth in the series" , wow I thought there were only 2. Are No.3 and No. 4 available on R1 DVD?
5th? are they counting First Strike as a police story movie?

#3 is supercop w/ michelle yeoh.

both are available on dvd.

--
edit: yes, First Strike is police story 4...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000329/
Old 09-24-04, 11:18 PM

are they counting First Strike as a police story movie?
I believe that's the case.
Old 09-24-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
For some reason, FIRST STRIKE is often considered POLICE STORY 4.

Are No.3 and No. 4 available on R1 DVD?
Yes, from Dimension and New Line respectively. But both are English dubbed only and cut (especially FIRST STRIKE). Until something better comes along, I'm hanging on to my Criterion LD of SUPERCOP (it at least has the Cantonese track and the extra scenes that Dimension cut out, as supplements)
Old 09-27-04, 12:38 AM

dddhouse says this 3 dvd set is widescreen so its probably not fullscreen
Old 09-27-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
For some reason, FIRST STRIKE is often considered POLICE STORY 4.
First Strike was released as Police Story 4 in Hong Kong (Jing cha gu shi IV: Jian dan ren wu).
Old 09-27-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KoreanDVDs is listing them as widescreen as well.
Old 09-27-04, 10:20 PM

Some screenshots from the new PS3 dvd:

http://204.92.69.141/misc/PoliceStory3/
Old 09-29-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be buying this for the remastered Police Story 3 (Supercop).
Old 09-29-04, 03:01 PM

i wonder why they didnt make this a 4 dvd set and include first strike
Old 10-02-04, 01:13 AM

Jackie Chan Police Story Trilogy DVD Boxset

I have the LD of Supercop, and the new IVL version (all region) in the Police Story DVD boxset is far superior. The two cut out scenes shown as extras in the LD, Jackie Chan at the market where endangered animals are sold for food and the scene where a young woman in a bikini at Chaibat’s home gets a drug overdose (an anti-drug message that was too graphic) are both integrated back into the movie. The subtitles on this movie, as well as the other two, are excellent. The Police Story II DVD in this boxset is also uncut, running at 121 minutes (not the124 minute length indicated on the back of the case). The covers of the individual DVD cases state these DVDs are digitally remastered. IVL did a great job on these DVDs. The only shortcoming is that the interviews with Stanley Tong and Benny Lai are in Cantonese with no English subtitles. These DVDs have no English dubs, but they do have excellent anamorphic transfers. I paid $30.00 for the set in Chinatown, a real bargain.
Old 11-13-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DVD is showing up online with a release date of November 28th. Can't wait!
Old 11-16-04, 09:49 PM

hmm yesasia is bundling the police story box set with new police story and calling it the complete series for $52.. still missing first strike though
Old 11-16-04, 10:08 PM

Yeah, but who wants the cut and dubbed version anyway?
Old 11-16-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't know who wrote that little review, but imo, this movie is really really bad. is it worse than the medallion, etc? imo, it is...

yes, there are a couple of good action sequences, but things are so ridiculous and convenient that it just made me sick.

there is melodrama to be sure. and the obvious china/hk relationship metaphor is there (i guess hk has a psychosis about this) expressed as a parent/child dysfunctional relationship.

overall, i'd give this movie a 3 out of 10.
Old 11-19-04, 09:31 PM

Young, you liked it that much, huh? ;-) I give it a 0 out of 10. Most of the action was "been there, done that." Forget about the acting. Pass on this one.
Old 11-20-04, 04:18 AM

i hear the limited edition is bundled with a 55mm gun.
Old 11-20-04, 07:30 AM

wonder if thats the barrel size

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.