Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My first order at YesAsia.com! (How does this sound?)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-05-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grand total, shipped, is only $59.72. Do you think these are some fine choices? If not, what would you suggest that I replace? If you think I should go with any other picks, then let me know. I just want some really good films to watch.

Here we go.

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?L...id=1003695528& (This one is free!)

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?L...id=1003427719&

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?L...id=1002784125&

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?L...id=1003183084&

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?L...id=1001819426&
Old 09-06-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You might have a better chance of getting responses if you would simply LIST the titles that you are ordering, so that people don't have to click through to another website 5 times to find out. Just a suggestion.....
Old 09-06-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I obviously understand that, but seeing how I'm new to these types of DVDs, I wouldn't really know what to list, as YesAsia only lists them with their title, and something vague like "overseas version".
Old 09-06-04, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll go...

Failan: I liked it a lot. But be forewarned, the first 20-30 minutes of the movie is pretty annoying and not indicative of the emotional depth that develops as the film progresses. I can not comment on the actual DVD, b/c I have the Korean (not HK) release.

Memories of Murder: Pretty good, but I didn't get why so many on this board have absolutley raved about it. I bought it blind and ended up trading it. For me, it was enjoyable once but not one for repeat viewing. I can not comment on the actual DVD, b/c I have the Korean (not HK) release.

The Harmonium in my Memory: I liked this film a lot. Sweet and tender romance. I have this version, but don't recall anything exceptionally good or bad about the DVD presentation.

Il Mare: One of my favorite Korean movies. A real treat if you like romantic dramas. This is a nice SE, certainly much better than the original Korean DVD which was misframed and had really bad subtitling. If I recall, the subtitles on the SE are no great shakes, but are an improvement.

Barking Dogs Never Bite: Why all the praise for this move I'll never know. Oh, it's not a bad movie by any stretch, and maybe my expectations were raised too much, but it didn't do anything to distinguish itself to me. It was a rental, so I can't comment on the DVD itself.

All in all, a good purchase I think. I hope ALL are to your liking!

YesAsia is a good place to buy Korean DVDs. Prices are very competitive. Plus you can work in coupons, free shipping, and the "freebie" DVDs.
Old 09-06-04, 04:40 AM

Good call on Failan as the free DVD.. an excellent movie, although divemaster is spot on about the first part of the film. I thought Memories of Murder was one of the best Korean films I've seen, but I can see where repeat viewings would be an issue. I rarely watch films I've already seen, so this is not an issue for me (of the 200-some films I own, I've probably watched less than 10 more than once).

I thought Il Mare was probably the best representation of the genre I've ever seen, but I don't watch Ameican romantic comedy/drama movies much. A great buy.

I've come to love YesAsia. 90% of my 70-80 VCDs are from them, and I've always been happy with their service and selection. My only complaint is that sometimes their pricing isn't the best compared to other retailers. I got robbed on Zatoichi, but it was of course my own fault for not checking prices elsewhere first.
Old 09-06-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen as many Korean films as some of the other posters in this forum but here's my two cents:

I've seen Failan, Memories of Murder, and Barking Dogs Never Bite. Il Mare and Harmonium in My Memory are on my to-buy list.

Failan is a solid film with a lot to like. I wasn't as put-off by the beginning as others have posted but I did feel the film could have been fleshed-out a litte more or tweaked a bit to take it to heights of greatness. Though I wouldn't count it among my favorite Korean films it is an easy choice for the free selection.

Memories of Murder - like Failan - would be required viewing if you were doing sort of a Korean Films 101 course. Like Failan, I thought it was solid but not quite up to the hype it receives - however, the final 1/3 of the film really is very good. In many ways I preferred another film - The Public Enemy - over this one. And in the "based on a true story" category of films, I found Silmido even more disconcerting.

I'm not really a big comedy guy but I'm in agreement with DVDTalker divemaster on Barking Dogs Never Bite. I though it was just okay and I really don't see that it holds a great deal of replay value as the pacing is a little slow and I didn't find anything to be particularly noteworthy in regards to performance, directing, etc.

Here are some films I prefer over Barking Dogs Never Bite:

Save the Green Planet
Oldboy
Once Upon a Time in High School: Spirit of Jeet Kune Do
My Sassy Girl (some - including me - have found the 2-disc Starmax DVD to be a little finicky (though not critically so), you can do a search in this forum for more info.)
Silmido
Musa
Old 09-08-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Failan: never watched it - but free is free and I've heard good things.

Memories of Murder: Decent, but not worth owning - rental territory for this one. Not as fantastic as everyone seems to rave.

The Harmonium in my Memory: Yawn... didn't really get into it.

Il Mare: Loved it.

Barking Dogs Never Bite: Sucked... was boring and not interesting and had no real value as a movie that I could tell.

There are lots of other movies far more deserving of a blind purchase IMO. I have all of these you listed though and bought them blind. With the exception of Il Mare (must own) and Failan (it's free), I'd choose other films. Old Boy instead of Memories of a Murder. Anything else instead of Barking Dogs... get My Sassy Girl, for example. Or get Tale of Two Sisters. Harmonium is ho-hum, so pick up My Wife is a Gangster, Musa, Volcano High, Ditto, or something else. You want a romantic drama - get The Classic.
Old 09-08-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd echo Filxtime's suggestion and go with Save The Green Planet. Honestly, the cover art does the movie an injustice... and is a main reason the film failed miserably at the box office.

Pardon my hyperbole, but in some ways, Save the Green Planet is a superior film to Oldboy, in that it juggles different tones (and does it well), while Oldboy remains fairly serious throughout. There are also rumors STGP is going OOP fairly soon, so you may want to get the DVD if you are so inclined.

Last edited by DrGerbil; 09-08-04 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought STGP was pretty good, but it didn't blow me away as it did some people.