Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Every region same Star Wars OT?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is everyone's Star Wars gonna be the same? For example, I know Japan sometimes gets different cuts of movies. I would rather buy the cheaper R1, but I would consider the R2. I assume the releases are identical, otherwise the R1 wouldn't sell and the R2 would sell alot.

Anyway, assuming the R2 is just as altered as the R1, which are the good laserdiscs to get? I live in Japan, there is still sort of a laserdisc market. There's lotsa anime I'd get on LD too.

Sorry if this sounds like a whining post, that is not my intention.
Old 09-01-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Every region will be the same. Lucasfilm has total worldwide control of the property.

As for laserdiscs, see this page:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru...h.htm#software
Old 09-14-04, 07:46 PM

Yeah, but who really wants these altered films? The LaserDisc definitive edition, IS the definitive edition.

The speical editions or collector's editions or updated editions 'cause technology is available and I've lost my youthful chilliness by recutting Han Solo's scene make these films chump. As chump as the new films, if not more so.

Tinkering with a work expo facto is always troubling, as there are moments in the collective memory about the original, premiere work that are still significant. Is Lucas attempting to execute some sort of action out of 1984?
Old 09-15-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about international cover of the trilogy? I think the packaging will be the same but it would be cool to have the font and words in foreign language. Any pics?
Old 09-16-04, 08:37 AM

Sorry guys, gotta ask. Is the R1 version of the packaging going to be tin, or is it just going to be a crappy cardboard?? A guy I knew a while back said it was gonna be tin, but I can't see anywhere that it actually tells me.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-04, 09:01 AM
Banned

It's cardboard. And watch out because the glue from the insert can rip off some of the paint.
Old 09-16-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any pics of international versions that are slightly diiferent from US ?
Old 09-18-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What about a DTS track? There was a DTS track when the SE was released in theatres back in '97.
Old 09-19-04, 12:05 AM
Banned

No DTS. It doesn't happen on Star Wars.
Old 09-19-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but who really wants these altered films?
didn't stop people from buying the SE's when they were on VHS. this will be no different.
Old 09-19-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who wants altered films? Oh, I would imagine about 90% of the posters here looking for different cuts of movies from other countries.
Old 09-19-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrhan
What about a DTS track? There was a DTS track when the SE was released in theatres back in '97.
What sound formats a movie has on its theatrical prints has no bearing at all on what sound formats will be available on DVD. The theatrical DTS and Dolby Digital codecs are completely different than the home video DTS and Dolby Digital codecs. Almost every movie gets released to theaters with all three theatrical sound formats: DD, DTS, and SDDS.

George Lucas is a significant investor in Dolby Labs. It is in his financial interest to only release his movies to DVD with Dolby Digital sound, and no DTS.
Old 09-23-04, 01:45 AM
Cool New Member

I am considering buying the R2 [UK] release, but still not sure...

Is it any different from R1 regarding the audio/video, cut/censorship etc.?

I see ppl complaining about some glitches and problems with the discs (R1, I guess...), like - 3rd and 'bonus' discs "freezing up", and ppl go back stores for replacements... etc.

I will be ordering my from Amazon.uk, so I am not willing to get some 'bad disc' or something and wait "forever" to get it replaced.

Anyone else going for the UK release?
Old 09-23-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These discs will be identical in every region, except for the PAL or NTSC formatting.
Old 09-23-04, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I'm mostly concerned about those possible gliches, "bad discs" and stuf like that. But it seems that I'll still have to try luck on that (R2)...
Old 09-24-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the glitches reported in R1 (reversed channels in the score, etc.) are part of the master copy that Lucasfilm signed off on before disc authoring. They are not authoring flaws, and will almost certainly be present on every copy regardless of region.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a terrible idea to order from overseas, just that I wouldn't go spending a lot of extra money in the blind hope that the foreign versions might be different.