Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs Question!?!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-17-04, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just finally watched Infernal Affairs and loved it. My question is, are the sequels as good or even close? I have been burned too many times by crappy sequels to just want to get these blind.
Old 08-17-04, 01:05 AM

Wow, I just watched it as well.

My only gripe (for the 2-Disc DTS version) - holy shit, did the subtitles go by fast or what?

Sometimes, they translation of something in english would be much longer then it was in chinese, however, they would cut off the subtitle immediately after the person stopped talking.

I had to rewind and pause quite a few times due to this.

Other then that, it was a great film.
Old 08-17-04, 01:52 AM
Cool New Member

i enjoyed the second and havent had time to see the third yet. but the general consensus is that the series goes downhill bigtime after number 1

i loaned 3 to my friend and he said it was trash
Old 08-17-04, 02:31 AM

I thought the second was better than the first, but I think they're good in different ways. The third seems to be the weakest in the trilogy. I still haven't watched it all the way through.
Old 08-17-04, 02:44 AM

I have seen all 3 and I would say IA3 was the weakest. I found the story very confusing, and at the end I still didn't understand what had gone on. But watch it anyway to finish of the trilogy to see how it ends, and to see more of Kelly Chen.
I thought 2 was as excellent as 1.
Old 08-17-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
IA 1 - 7.5/10
IA 2 - 9/10
IA 3 - (haven't watched yet)
Old 08-17-04, 10:09 AM

Wow some really different opinions. I will probably go ahead and watch the second one and if I feel really inclined, I will check out the third. Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-04, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

IA 1 - ****
IA 2 - **
IA 3 - ***

If you need to see just one, #1 will do.
Dont even need to see #2 or #3 as they seem like money snatcher movies.
#2 was avg at best and 3 was ok. #1 was good.
Old 08-17-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search for past threads, I think most of the people here in the forum think it has been one of the best trilogies in the last 20+ years. The 3 movies are different, for me 2 and 3 complement the 1 perfectly.
Old 08-17-04, 10:06 PM
Cool New Member

I also felt that Infernal Affair 2 was the best of the Infernal Affairs films. It is often compared to Godfather 2 because it is epic in scope and expands the story and characters from the first Infernal Affairs film. The second film also benefits from an excellent performance by one of Hong Kong (or any other countries) best actors, Francis Ng.
Old 08-17-04, 11:03 PM

I figured out what I think about IA2... the only reason I care about the characters is because of what happened to them in IA1. IA3 is different since it's not a prequel... it didn't hook me within the first 30 seconds like IA2 did because IA3 takes place after the story has already been completed (in IA1). Sometime I'll finish watching IA3, though.
Old 08-17-04, 11:36 PM

I'm with Raul here. The three movie are different, and they really complement each other really nicely. The third one, I also found, was the weakest, but that doesn't mean much 'cause I loved all of them. Go ahead and buy them, it's not like they're all that expensive to begin with.
Old 08-18-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I liked part 2 the best - not only because it fleshed out the story of the characters from part 1, but because it had a fantastic story of its own. Not only that, but it gave us a better understanding of the characters of the first film. I think the second film made the first film better.
Old 08-19-04, 03:08 AM

Trigger, I agree completely that the second film makes the first better. The story in IA2 was great, but Andrew Lau has made that same movie a lot of times. If the first film hadn't been around, it would have just been Young and Dangerous 10 or 20.

The big difference between the two is that the first film could stand on its own, which I don't think can be said of the second. I don't believe this diminishes the second film at all; I'm content with it depending on IA1. They complement one another perfectly, and this an incredibly rare thing.
Old 08-19-04, 03:43 PM

I liked all three movies. They are all a bit different from one another, but each has its part in the overall story.

The third movie probably is the weakest, but that I think is because its the hardest to follow whats going on. Some of the editing could have been better.

Plus the story is completed with the end of the third movie;
Spoiler:
Lau finally gets his comeuppance in the form of continuous hell.
Old 08-19-04, 03:57 PM

Whats the best version to get?
Old 08-19-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the individual 2-disc HK MegaStar sets are the best ones.

DONT go for the 4 disc Trilogy version
(3 discs for each movie, 1 bonus dvd of extras)
that version only has the Mandarin dub and not the original Cantonese!
Old 08-20-04, 08:04 PM

Well I ordered the sequel today. I will decide on the third one based on the strength of this one. I also ordered Taxi and Ping Pong, two films that I've heard lots of stuff about, but never bought. Should be fun!!
Old 08-23-04, 04:58 AM

i read from tower3a.com that there will be a 7 disc set trilogy box set coming from Megastar soon. supposed to be out last month but so far, i don't see it coming.

it's said to have been re-mastered visually and includes a DTS-es track and DD-ex 5.1 track.
Old 08-29-04, 02:19 AM

Well I watched Infernal Affairs 2 tonight, WONDERFUL FLICK!!! Easily on par with the first, although thematically a bit different. This is shaping up to be an excellent series. I will order part 3 tomorrow!!