Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Natural City and Grave Of The Fireflies - UK Region 2

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both Natural City and Grave Of The Fireflies have been announced for an August 28th release, the latter coming in on a 2-disc set:

Optimum Asia have announced their extensive plans for Studio Ghibli's superb animation Grave Of The Fireflies. Due for release on August 23rd, the movie will arrive in a 2 DVD package.

Extra features will include full storyboards; an interview with director Isao Takahata; a Japanese release promo (interviews with director Isao Takahata and writer Akiyuki Nosaka); an Isao Takahata biography; an Akiyuki Nosaka biography; bonus storyboards; a DVNR featurette (video restoration); an art gallery; US trailer; Japanese trailer; an interview with film critic Roger Ebert; and a historical perspective documentary.

The RRP will be set at £19.99.
Optimum Asia have announced the August 23rd release of the Korean sci-fi drama Natural City starring Yoo Ji-tae and Yoon Chan.

Extra features will include a Making Of Natural City documentary; a Location Tour With Director Byung-Chun Min; some deleted scenes; and the trailer.

The RRP will be set at £19.99.

Full articles (with full press releases and large cover images) can be found here and here.
Old 08-04-04, 02:23 PM

Enjoyed Natural City, yes I know it's like Blade Runner, but I liked it. I liked the action scenes were good but not long enough. I would also like to add I loved the soldiers uniforms, way cool.
Old 09-05-04, 08:22 PM

We have now have 2 detailed reviews of both these titles.

Click here for the Grave Of The Fireflies review:

Snippet:
Grave of the Fireflies is capable of altering one’s perception of the world by generating an intense and powerful emotional response. The film reinforces the animation well, successfully utilizing complex motions, poses and angles that are difficult to draw, let alone animate. This masterpiece has set a benchmark by which all other animation and war films should be measured.

Optimum has done well after their fiasco with Azumi. The audio and visuals are far from perfect but acceptable nonetheless. The discs also host some wonderful extras. If they pay more attention to their releases, as they have with Grave of the Fireflies, then hopefully Optimum will rise to become a worthy competitor to both Tartan and Premier Asia.
And you can find the Natural City review here:

Snippet:
I can’t give a whole hearted recommendation for Natural City because of its confusing plot, bleak narrative and even bleaker characters. Or can I? God, do you see what I mean? I still can’t make my mind up. As a sci-fi film it is underwhelming yet inoffensive enough for sci-fi fans to enjoy. There are some neat ideas in there somewhere and a little bit of cyborg-bashing never goes out of fashion.

As a love story, though, is were it really shines out. Quiet, frustrated, pitiful, tragic – it’s all of those things. If it lacks the tenderness we would expect it is because we encounter the lovers at possibly the end of their romance – only tragedy and sacrifice remain. Thus, the only one capable of real human emotion acts out of love and rage – two conflicting and driving forces that can only bewilder and destroy. The other is withdrawn and reflective, slipping silently and sadly away. Perhaps I read too much into things, perhaps I’m just a big softy at heart. Plot-wise you are gonna have to make up your own minds – but at least give it the chance to either bore you or slowly, slyly slide into your subconscious as it did with me.

As a disc it carries the movie well. Quite a nice image, but an underwhelming sound mix. However, the two featurettes are good solid extras and make you realise that the makers really did invest heart and soul into the project.
Old 09-06-04, 01:44 PM

Too bad Optimum uses superlarge subtitles, that can't be turned off, on their DVD titles :-/

Unbelievable!