Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaun Of the Dead (DVD Question)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-22-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

http://www9.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=12193

CD wow lists the dispatch date as October, but it was just recently announced as a September release date. I'm confused any help would be appreciated
Old 07-22-04, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDWOW say the wrong stuff a lot,
I would guess that September is right as its September everywhere else, on pretty much all other sites and press releases.

a month early is a good thing, esspecially when the dvds as extra packed as this one!

4 commentaries!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this movie!!!
Old 07-22-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get this.
Old 07-22-04, 04:51 PM

Awfully bare bones, going to wait on a special edition version which is obviously going to follow a few months after this release.
Old 07-22-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think the special features on this DVD had been released yet.
Old 07-22-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...4406&n=1&burl=

Extras will include an audio commentary by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, a second commentary by Pegg and co-stars Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Kate Ashfield and Lucy Davis, a third with stars Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton and a fourth by the zombies themselves! The disc will also feature extended bits with commentary, outtakes, a Man Who Would Be Shaun feature in which Simon Pegg and Nick Frost impersonate Sean Connery and Michael Caine and a new Funky Pete sequence in which Pete's swearing sequence is re-dubbed. But wait, there's more. Three comic strip sequences will fill in some of the plotholes (such as how did Ed get from the cellar to the shed) and a TV Bits feature which carries extended versions of the TV shows within the movie (Coldplay on T4, It's a Knockout Zombies, Trisha etc). Completing the set will be A Raw Meat making of featurette, five trailers and TV spots, three Zombie pic galleries, a storyboard comparison and a Zomb-O-Meter trivia track.

doesnt look bare to me.
Old 07-22-04, 08:14 PM

I wish all dvds were as bare bones as this one
Old 07-23-04, 01:45 AM

Possibly my most anticipated DVD of 2004
Old 07-23-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is mine for sure.
Old 07-23-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Me too!
Old 07-23-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the little write up I did on the film right after I finished watching it. It's nothing new, but I just thought I'd share it once again.

The official Shaun of the Dead website!

Dog Soldiers.

28 Days Later.

Haute Tension.

Undead.

Over the past year or so, it seems that just about all of the great horror films have come from everywhere but the USA. With the release of Shaun of the Dead, that streak seems to want to keep on keepin' on.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe that I now have a brand spankin' new "favorite zombie film ever". We've talked about this in a few threads so far this year, have it be about the trailer or whatever, and I just now got the chance to watch this instant classic tonight. When I woke up today I didn't have any intention on view it today, but thank God that all of that changed. I woke up, did a quick look on VCDQuality, realized that the screener had been released, went to SuprNova.org to download it, and in just a few short hours it was finally mine to watch. I burned it onto two CDRs and I was able to view this film on my DVD player, in VHS or better, quality.

Fore those not in the know, here is the IMDB plot summary.

Shaun (Simon Pegg) is your below average thirty something who it seems has no real goal in life. Lacking any real ambition. He drives his long suffering girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfield) around the bend. He seems to pay more attention to his fellow loser pals and housemates Ed (Nick Frost)and Pete (Peter Serafinowicz). Other than his basic faults. Shaun is other wise a decent enough sort. But soon realises how much Liz means to him when with out warning. The undead begin to walk the earth (or to shorten it down, Crouch End in London). Now it's a race against time for Shaun to not only spring to the rescue of the girl he loves. But his dear sweet Mum as well. After watching this. You'll never look at 'Dawn of the Dead' the same way again.
The film starts out somewhat slow, a rather odd pacing for a film of this sort. We are introduced to all of the characters right off the bat, in a way that feels more like a drama or a romantic comedy than any sort of horror film. Then again, as the tagline says, it is basically a romantic comedy...with zombies. Starting out, I was questioning the way it began, but once it was all said and done it made the start of the film just feel perfect to me. You had enough of all of the characters by the time the real action started, that all of the characters actually meant something to you.

I appreciate that, especially in a film of this sort. Many filmmakers never take the time to allow the viewer to have any sort of understanding of any of the characters in a film like this, with the exception of one or two main stars.

So yeah, a romantic comedy...with zombies is basically what we have here, and by God it's absolutely perfect. Even at the start, when the plot seems to be going at a slower pace, there are things in the background letting you know what is to come, various little things where you see the zombie epidemic starting up, and it's just a riot. Shaun doesn't seem to expect anything, and why should he? Afterall, who in their right mind would actually take small details and come to the conclusion that zombies must be a comin'?

I can't remember the last time a "horror" film had such a perfect mixture of, well, everything. Laughs (a lot of laughs), sentimental moments, straight up action, gore gore and more gore, a great script, a fantastic and simple plot, and every other thing you could ask for. It's all here, and it all comes together unlike any film in recent memory.

Oh yeah, the zombies in this film...they aren't kung-fu stars, they don't run up and down the streets, and they aren't superhuman. What we're dealing with here are old school, hard-core, wanting nothing but YOUR flesh zombies who can hardly stand up or walk.

Just the way I like em.

Without even needing to think about it for even a second, without second thoughts, this gets an instant 10/10 rating from me. Dawn of the Dead? House of 1000 Corpses? House of the Dead? I don't think so, nothing like that can even touch this film, it's not even a contest. Hey, I loved Dawn of the Dead just as much as the next guy, it was great also, but Shaun just blows it out of the water in my opinion.

It's weird, in Shaun I literally do not have a single complaint. There wasn't even a character that I hated, like there almost always is in a film like this. I either flat out loved every character in the film, or I loved to hate them. If this one is released in theaters here in the USA, you can be sure that I'll be the first one standing in line. I already want to see it on the big screen, and I really want the DVD right now.

Yeah, I say it's my favorite "zombie" film, but it's much more than that also. I mean, I have the same sort of feeling now that I've seen this film that I had after seeing flicks like Big Fish and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind earlier this year. That feeling being of 100% satisfaction.

Download it, then watch it in the theater when it comes out here in the USA, and then buy the DVD.

And pray to God for a sequel of some sort, or at least another feature film from the duo of Simon Pegg (main star) and Edgar Wright (director). They also co-wrote the script with one another, this being their first major feature film. So that's all for now, I'm sure I'll make more comments on this as the thread goes forward. I just wanted to get a few things off my chest before bed. Hopefully this will get a few of you interested in it, just as I helped some of you do for Haute Tension, Undead, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

We can't allow films like these to go unnoticed.
Old 07-23-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If any of you have watched the Spaced DVDs, you know how much I'm looking forward to that Pegg/Wright commentary...
Old 07-23-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have both of the Spaced DVDs, so the Shaun DVD should be excellent also.
Old 07-23-04, 07:28 PM

the sequel is already in the works

From Dusk Till Shaun

I shit you not!
Old 07-23-04, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
the sequel is already in the works

From Dusk Till Shaun

I shit you not!
eeeeeeeeeexcellent!
Old 07-24-04, 01:46 PM

This movie sounds so cool. I can't wait to see it. I've never ordered a UK dvd to date -- is CDWow the place to order this?

Also, can anyone recommend a poster site to order the one sheet from. I can't find it at any of the US poster sites. Thanks.
Old 07-26-04, 10:07 PM

What's this "Definitive Collection" version of "Spaced" thats being released in late Sept over in the UK? Is it season 1 and 2 collected together? Or something completely different?
Old 07-26-04, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by bobertkay99
What's this "Definitive Collection" version of "Spaced" thats being released in late Sept over in the UK? Is it season 1 and 2 collected together? Or something completely different?
The masses demand to know.

And "From Dusk til Shaun." Best sequel name ever. Although I really want a third season of Spaced. Crap.
Old 07-26-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
best price on this SOTD item?
Old 07-27-04, 01:27 PM

"Definitive Collection" version of "Spaced" well theres double set of the 2 series placed into one box knocking about, I would guess its them, nothing new just both in a slipcase I think.

CDWOW seems to be the best place to get SOTD, if you can get vouchers even better, or try the HK site as they sometimes work out cheap, one of the CDWOW sites will be cheap I am sure.

The film did fine in the UK, not as well as it should have, but fine, I await to see how well it does overseas as it could be quite a little hit, not hard for it to make cash abroad as it cost not much to make anyway. DVD sales will shoot past its cinema takings in the 1st day.
Old 08-04-04, 03:25 PM

The menu screens for Shaun of the Dead are now up on dvdtimes. Looks like a very nice collection of extras!

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12229
Old 08-04-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is much more to the new upcoming Spaced set than just "both in a slipcase", and it pisses me off as I just bought the first two DVDs a few months ago.

From DVDTimes.

Channel 4 Video have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Spaced Series 1 & 2 The Definitive Collector’s Edition for 27th September 2004 priced at £24.99. Spaced the award-winning, critically acclaimed situation comedy starring Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson is back. Five years since first airing on our screens, Channel 4 Video is now offering a three disc set with over 80 minutes of new material and an opportunity to hear what the writers/stars, the actors and the director have to say. This brand new Definitive Collector’s Edition is a must have for Spaced fans everywhere!

The Definitive Collector’s Edition contains Series One and Two with the original extra features as previously released, as well as an anthology of previously unseen material. Disc 1 features Series One as well as trailers, commentary, cast and crew biographies and deleted scenes, as well new out-takes, a new homage-o-meter and additional new raw footage.

Disc 2 contains Series Two, commentary, homage-o-meter, out-takes, deleted scenes, trailers, raw footage, biographies and photo galleries.

The third disc features an 80 minute documentary as well as a music video (Osymyso Remix) and biographies.

The in-depth and specially filmed documentary features interviews with all main cast members, (Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson, Mark Heap, Nick Frost, Katy Carmichael, Julia Deakin), many cameo actors including (Bill Bailey, David Walliams, Mark Gatiss, Reece Shearsmith), Edgar Wright (director) and even journalists such as Boyd Hilton, Heat and James Delingpole, Sunday Telegraph. It also includes a tour made by Simon, Jessica and Edgar of various locations featured in the show with clips of archive footage from the very first programmes Simon and Jessica appeared in together.
Old 08-04-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
There is much more to the new upcoming Spaced set than just "both in a slipcase", and it pisses me off as I just bought the first two DVDs a few months ago.

From DVDTimes.
Well here goes another double dip...

This show is completely worth it though. A brilliant series.
Old 08-05-04, 03:06 PM

its a real shame they do this, I wont rebuy it thats for sure, all you get is a documentary on top of the other dvds, a shame they did it at all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.